forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
756,819 comments in 77,896 posts by 11,081 registered users, 4 online now: drBu, errc, Onvacation, Tim Aurora

new post

Anyone else watching Lumber Liquidators crash and burn?

By zzyzzx   2015 May 21, 7:53am   4,265 views   12 comments   watch (1)   quote

Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc. (LL)-NYSE
21.52 Down 3.75(14.85%) 10:45AM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price
52wk Range: 20.97 - 84.77

It's fun watching an importer of toxic Chinese crap get beaten down like this. CEO just resigned. Also, I am not fond of retail stocks, since any idiot can open a store.

#investing #crashandburn #shittystocks #toxicchineseproducts

Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »

1   zzyzzx   2015 May 21, 8:37am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Or just buy Made in USA stuff!!!

2   zzyzzx   2015 May 21, 9:28am     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

bgamall4 says

Of course, if you can find it and can afford it.

Normally it is affordable. It's just hard to find. The cheap imported stuff is usually not much cheaper, just more profitable for the manufacturer and/or retailer.

3   Tenpoundbass   2015 May 21, 10:43am     ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike   quote

I was at home depot Saturday and you'll pay over $20 for just a single board.
A Sheet of cheap plywood will cost you damned near $30.
This of course in a time when building is the lowest it's been in over 50 years.

Wood is another commodity that the supply and demand math does not add up.
Somewhere in the world at this very moment is enough lumber sitting around equivalent to the 500,000 square miles of Amazonian rain forest that has been clear cut just in the last decade. While the "SCIENTISTS" were telling all that my Hamburger is about to do us all in.

I guess we'll just let it sit and rot before they will sell it at cost cheap enough to make building, and buying a home feasible for your average human being.

Who needs goods and services when fear, lies and profits is just so damned lucrative?

4   BlueSardine   2015 May 21, 11:34am     ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike   quote

quit bitchin..you'll save big bucks on the back end during embalming...

bgamall4 says

But these products are supposed to be inspected and are tagged inspected without excess formaldehyde.

5   lostand confused   2015 May 21, 4:44pm     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

CaptainShuddup says

I was at home depot Saturday and you'll pay over $20 for just a single board.

A Sheet of cheap plywood will cost you damned near $30.

Yeah and I call someone to cut my tree that died from ash bore and I have to pay a 1000 bucks. This is a giant 40 yr old tree and folks I talk to say I got it cheap! I mean wouldn't they be able to sell the wood and make a ton of cash-why do I have to pay for it????? Put the 300 pound welfare freaks to work.

6   Vicente   2015 May 21, 6:05pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

lostand confused says

Climbing, special equipment, insurance, yada yada yada. That's what it costs. Takes some work and expertise to bring a big tree down safely. Mostly fed into wood-chipper isn't worth it to send it to a mill. You want to knock it down yourself go ahead.

My Dad decided to bring down a large branch off a tree in his yard. When he got hit by the branch, and knocked down off the ladder by it, and was wheezing through broken ribs (and other bones) I think it finally became obvious his sense of economy MAY have been misplaced. Fortunately my Mom who had advancing Alzheimers was still functional enough to get the neighbors to bring help, and they called 911. Permanent damage to his shoulder and right arm, he'll never be as good of a golfer although physical therapy has restored 90% mobility.

7   bob2356   2015 May 21, 7:36pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

lostand confused says

No sawmill is going to touch a tree out of someone's yard. Too high a chance of hitting metal. Sawmill blades are very expensive. Maybe, big maybe, a firewood guy might take a chance, chainsaw blades aren't as much. What are they going to do with it once it's cut up? If it had borer then most likely it can't be transported other than very locally. There are travel restrictions everywhere on ash.

8   zzyzzx   2015 May 21, 7:41pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

lostand confused says

People complain about that all the time around here after storms take out tons of trees here. The thing is that there are just no mills for this stuff anywhere near here.

9   Tenpoundbass   2015 May 21, 8:02pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

zzyzzx says

I smell a new Discovery Channel reality series.
"Urban Loggers"

Where Red Neck loggers compete to harvest big trees or huge limbs that may be threatening other structures.
Lots of non stop drama, like Driving through neighborhoods with long logging trucks taking out whole corner lots with houses as they make the turn.
Lots of scenes with drivers getting in each other faces, and somebody thows something on the ground. It could be ground breaking television.
Replace the red necks with hipsters, and they don't even use logging trucks they just tie the logs on the roofs of their cars. And since they are dispatched over the internet they wont be regulated.

10   zzyzzx   2015 Nov 5, 7:26am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc. (LL) -NYSE
15.66 Up 0.01(0.06%) 10:24AM EST - Nasdaq Real Time Price

Shares of Lumber Liquidators Holdings (NYSE:LL) rose more than 15% in Wednesday's early trading, then settled to trade up around 9.5% as of 1:30 p.m. after the hardwood flooring retailer announced weaker-than-expected third-quarter results, but also appointed a promising new CEO.

With shares still down more than 70% so far in 2015, I can't blame investors for being excited by the prospect of an experienced leader in Presley managing Lumber Liqiudators' turnaround. But we should also keep in mind the company has plenty of work to do before it's out of the woods, most notably including finding resolution to potential regulatory action from the California Air Resources Board from an ongoing investigation of its products.

That's part of the reason Lumber Liquidators isn't providing specific fourth-quarter 2015 guidance. But also to its credit, it did tell investors by the end of 2015, it will have opened a total of 23 to 24 new store locations in its expanded showroom format (near the high end of previous guidance for 20 to 25 new stores), remodeled a total of 12 existing stores in that format (narrowed from 10 to 15 existing store remodels previously), and have capital expenditures between $22 million and $25 million (a $2 million increase to the bottom end of the prior range).

In the end, though, I prefer to watch Lumber Liquidators from the sidelines until it finds a complete resolution to outstanding regulatory action. While this might result in missing out on some near-term speculative gains, the risk of an extended slide in sales or a negative surprise from that regulatory action is too great for my investing taste.

11   FortWayne   2015 Nov 5, 8:56am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

Vicente says

Any idiot with a chainsaw can handle it for a few hundred in a couple hours just fine.

12   Booger   2015 Nov 5, 2:22pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

FortWayne says

True, if it has a safe place to fall, but in most urban or suburban areas, this is not often going to be the case.

Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home