forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
757,186 comments in 77,957 posts by 11,089 registered users, 7 online now: Ceffer, lostand confused, P N Dr Lo R, socal2, tovarichpeter, TwoScoopsMcGee, YesYNot

new post

Public allowed to use public park in San Francisco!

By someone else   2015 Sep 2, 8:56am   4,141 views   22 comments   watch (1)   quote

I got a coffee this morning before work and sat at a picnic table in Yerba Buena Park in San Francisco:

Immediately two security guards came up to me, saying I did not have to leave and could enjoy the picnic table, because the private mangement company that runs the park had graciously allowed the public to use the tables, which were set up for a free music festival.

"So the management company is graciously allowing the public to use a public park?" I asked.

The security guard tried hard to explain that while the park was public, the management was private, and therefore... some incoherent thing about their ability to not let me use a public park if they so choose...

The mangement company is http://mjmmg.com/ and they also manage Union Square.

While I'm grateful that the park is clean and mostly free of the meth-zombies which stagger around San Francisco, it seems very, very wrong that public parks have become the domain of private interests.

Please write the mayor and point out that under his watch, the public parks are not public anymore.

#politics

Comments 1-22 of 22     Last »

1   smaulgld   2015 Sep 2, 9:04am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

A very odd dynamic. The city collects an extreme amount of dollars from property and sales taxes . That they can't own maintain and operate a park for the benefit of its citizens is an outrage BUT indicative of the ineptitude of government, even one with ample funds. It's subject to corruption- why is there a private management company getting paid to maintain the park? Can't they hire a few people to look after the park at $100 K a year?

Two choices, demand public accountability for tax dollars and ensure services like parks are available, or sell them out right to private companies.

2   Tenpoundbass   2015 Sep 2, 9:05am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Owen Wilson tried to tell me not to stand in my front yard while they were fliming a scene where he drives a car down my street in Marley and Me.
Well not really Owen he was actually pretty cool, it was the producer telling me not wave at Owen and tell him "Don't let the bastards get you down." while he was in 1992 Nissan in street right infront of my house. Then the blowhard producer had the nerve to tell me how much money they gave the city of Hollywood FL and they practically own this street.

3   someone else   2015 Sep 2, 9:25am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Quotes from their website and my interpretations:

"MJMMG provides market proven expertise to transform Public Space into a sustainable asset that delivers long term community value."

By which they mean they transform public space into private space to rent out to the highest bidder for profit.

"As dedicated Public Space stewards, MJMMG’s inclusive approach incorporates the unique needs of all community members."

By which they mean that they exclude community members who do not enhance the profitability of the park.

"MJMMG removes the complex barriers that inhibit the transformation and activation of safe, inviting and sustainable Public Space."

By which they mean that they remove the meth-heads, and that they can remove you too if you complain about them.

4   Quigley   2015 Sep 2, 9:39am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Seems like this company needs less visibility not more. You wouldn't have a complaint if the guy stood back and didn't interfere with an obviously decent citizen while scanning the area for any encroaching human detritus. Can you imagine how awful the thousands of bums would make the park if left to their own devices? Tragedy of the commons indeed.

5   exfatguy   2015 Sep 2, 9:52am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

But aren't the bums the public, too?

I actually agree with this concept. Keep the scum out while letting the good people in. We just have to be able to draw the line between scum and good. If they want to decide you're scum, out you go.

6   someone else   2015 Sep 2, 10:01am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

It is actually nice that they keep the park pretty safe, but just glancing at people and deciding who to kick out of a public park seems wrong.

7   Fucking White Male   2015 Sep 2, 10:07am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Apparently you missed the Married With Children episode about 20 years ago where the Bundy's day at the park was confined to a tiny roped off area due to some rich guy buying out most of the park for the day.

Yeah for Democrat run cities!

8   Blurtman   2015 Sep 2, 10:11am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

It seems as if the management company has been deputized in some manner. Perhaps a wall around the park could help.

9   smaulgld   2015 Sep 2, 12:33pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Quotes from their website and my interpretations

Who in SF determined that the park should be run this way and that MJMMG would get this contract?

10   APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   2015 Sep 2, 1:03pm     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

I hope you told the security fucks to cleanse your ASSHOLE! with their tongues and FUCKING DIE! just on general principle.

11   Ceffer   2015 Sep 2, 3:36pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

If you can't do the hippie boogie nude, have public sex, defecate where you want, approach mothers and children wagging your willie/boobs/etc., and stagger about screaming, stoned and slobbering, what are public parks for? These management companies are also making it really hard to operate small, discrete drug sales operations.

12   EBGuy   2015 Sep 2, 5:33pm     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. MLK Memorial at Yerba Buena Gardens

13   EBGuy   2015 Sep 2, 5:55pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

A SF Park Patrol Officer can make $61,398.00 a year. Add in overtime and benefits and you get $96,294.72. I'm guessing the guy who rousted Patrick makes less than half of that.

14   someone else   2015 Sep 2, 7:12pm     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

EBGuy says

I'm guessing the guy who rousted Patrick makes less than half of that.

to be fair, he didn't roust me, he just wanted me to be grateful to the private management company for the "gracious" tolerance of my presence at a picnic table in a public park.

15   Tenpoundbass   2015 Sep 2, 7:24pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

That insufferable prick!

16   lostand confused   2015 Sep 3, 5:40am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

San Francisco is funny sometimes-I do love the city. I do love people watching though. There was a seating area near my office, so would just get a cup of coffee and sit for 15-20 min every day. The usual homeless bums, pigeons, two gay men passionately making out, a fat white bald dude in an Indian sari with a "dot" in his head, a giant black tranny holding hands with an old mustachioed Mexican dude and of course the usual frenzied people on their phones rushing to and fro to whatever they are doing! very interesting group of people!

17   someone else   2015 Sep 3, 6:51am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Yes, that's exactly what I like to do too. Used to sit outside every morning at La Boulange at 3rd and Market, but they closed on Friday, so need a new place for people watching.

18   zzyzzx   2015 Sep 3, 8:35am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

smaulgld says

It's because all that money goes to pay pension benefits, bloated salaries, and for overpriced contracts to people who made campaign contributions.

19   Landru3000   2015 Sep 3, 9:03am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Wait a second... I thought it was good to privatize government services. Help me here, which is it?

20   TwoScoopsMcGee   2015 Sep 3, 10:12am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Ah, Private Public Partnerships!

21   zzyzzx   2015 Sep 3, 7:18pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Landru3000 says

It is good, since you get rid of the pension obligations that often come with employing union thugs.

22   FortWayne   2015 Sep 6, 9:25pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

That sounds like someone gave a buddy-buddy deal where management company gets to rip off taxpayers.

Comments 1-22 of 22     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home