forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
756,196 comments in 77,835 posts by 11,071 registered users, 5 online now: Dan8267, drBu, epitaph, SpecialSnowflake, Tenpoundbass

new post

Let's Talk Media Outlets: Where Do You Get Your News?

By BayArea   2016 Jul 23, 11:13pm   1 link   789 views   10 comments   watch (1)   quote

Hi guys,

I typically start each morning with a quick run through of the news using Google's News Aggregator. However, I find that depending on the media source, most articles are written from a political angle, which I tend to find annoying.

For example, a headline will catch my eye from the Washington Post or NY Times, and I find myself reading a news article that's written from a political left point of view. Or I click on a Fox News article that's written from the political right point of view.

I just want the facts presented, not a combination of facts and interpretation/opinion from some reporter who works for the media outlet.

For those that appreciate politically neutral facts when it comes to news, what media outlets do you use/recommend out there?

From what I understand, the news outlets most followed by independents is ABC, NBC, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today.

Thanks,
Luke

Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »

1   bob2356   2016 Jul 24, 7:03am     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

BayArea says

There are none if you read/watch US based news. First CBS turned news into entertainment with 60 minutes never let facts interfere with a good story attack journalism then FOX turned entertainment news into political activism that went beyond ignoring facts to simply using fiction as news if it advanced their political agenda. All the rest of the media tagged along behind because the sheeple were willing to lap it up without question. The more outrageous and absurd the higher the ratings. Americans love to be lied to as long as it fits in with what they believe should be true.

2   epitaph   2016 Jul 24, 7:17am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

yahoo for us news
ycombinator for my personal interests / fascinations
bbc for world news

I know yahoo and ycombinator sometimes have spin.

3   errc   2016 Jul 24, 7:47am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

--------------
VICE and Viceland

4   Patrick   2016 Jul 24, 7:47am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I enjoy checking out foreign news sources, just to see what stories are missing in the US press, and how foreign sources may totally ignore things that are big news in the US:

and mostly just to practice understanding Irish Gaelic:

5   BayAreaObserver   2016 Jul 24, 7:53am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

BayArea says

what media outlets do you use/recommend out there?

None from the U.S. as already pointed out a bit earlier by bob2356. If I was forced to get all of my news strictly from a U.S. based organization, I'd use NPR and AP along with Reuters but since I'm not, my daily news swing takes in links from Asia, Europe and Australia as well as South America, too many things are not getting covered here or buried so deeply you would have to spend a lot of time looking.

The place amongst all of these sources where I find the really interesting things are buried in the comments section of a given story as well as going to the external links provided for studies, reports, etc. provided within the story. It's also worth doing a search on any given story to see who, how and if it is being covered somewhere else

6   Tenpoundbass   2016 Jul 24, 7:55am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Breitbart and Drudge Report they don't try to shame me for being anything someone else is not.

7   Patrick   2016 Jul 24, 7:58am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

BayAreaObserver says

yes, frequently a commenter says something really insightful in one line that the reporter either didn't get, or cannot say for political reasons.

the comment sections of news stories are a gold mine. not that there isn't a lot of dirt around the gold too.

8   BayAreaObserver   2016 Jul 24, 8:02am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

the comment sections of news stories are a gold mine

As you noted you have to wade through the dirt but often I find links someone has provided or the commentary suggests something that leads me to do another search. Then again I have time to do this or rather make time. My morning news run takes about 45 minutes.

9   HydroCabron   2016 Jul 24, 8:10am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

BayArea says

For those that appreciate politically neutral facts

There's no such thing anymore. When an issue on which 97% of researchers agree is still widely regarded as "controversial," neutrality ain't gonna happen.

If some say the world is flat and others say it's round, the truth does not lie somewhere in between.

The U.S. media is incredibly parochial for a superpower: If you're looking to keep up on, say, Thailand or Saudi Arabia, both of which could implode at a moment's notice, good luck trying to find anything about them on a regular basis, even monthly.

So instead of just mixing different ideologies, mix sources from different nations. You'll get a better mixture of prejudices and distortions that way. My two main sources are The Economist and the New York Times, plus The Guardian and the Daily Telegraph. And Politico.

Avoid anything owned by Rupert Murdoch.

You can also build a Twitter, Facebook or RSS feed of journalists or bloggers who are not who aren't necessarily just promoting themselves. They'll comment and link to what they think is important from day to day.

10   HydroCabron   2016 Jul 24, 8:14am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Tenpoundbass says

That's some serious spite and inferiority complexes you got going there, Lou.

Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home