forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
757,023 comments in 77,874 posts by 11,065 registered users, 2 online now: Tenpoundbass, WorkInProgress

new post

Why I have people on ignore

By Fucking White Male   2016 Sep 22, 12:04am   1 link   1,388 views   14 comments   watch (1)   quote

Hey You - needs no explanation

HydroCabron - propagandist extreme and the Jon Stewart ripoff is boring.

Neplusultra57 - I just remember his postings being really annoying.

At one time I had IWOG on ignore, but that was a mistake. Whatever you think about his opinions, he does create some of the most interesting postings here.

Seven people have me on ignore which is ok by me. Dan, Marcus, Jazz Music, not sure who the others are and I don't care to check right now. I'm certain I get under some peoples skin.

#random

Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »

1   Ceffer   2016 Sep 22, 12:44am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Maybe I should change my moniker to AdorableDeplorable.

2   Tenpoundbass   2016 Sep 22, 6:13am     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

You're not doing free speech right if you don't have at least 23 people that have you on ignore.

3   landtof   2016 Sep 22, 8:00am     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

@patrick on a free speech forum shouldn't the ignore feature be abolished? it amounts to censorship within certain threads.

4   Tenpoundbass   2016 Sep 22, 8:08am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

landtof says

It's better than Alynski Censorship. I would rather people like HHR media and 2012 ignore me, or I have an ignore button for them.
Saying your peice is one thing but following people around like a little cunt trying to shut down every free thought that triggers their Shut down society fight or fright impulses.
It's just better to have an ignore button.

5   turtledove   2016 Sep 22, 8:09am     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

landtof says

@landtof I strongly disagree. As you can see from my profile, I hardly overuse the "ignore" feature. I've been on this site for over six years, and I have a whopping TWO people on "ignore." However, the two people who I have on ignore, earned it. I have a pretty high threshold for crap. That said, the two people I have on ignore were making me uncomfortable... Like kind-of-concerned-about-my-safety uncomfortable. We throw around the word "trolling" too often, but this was legitimate trolling. I couldn't post a single word without an immediate, hateful attack of some kind. It was very weird and, to me, it bordered on threatening. If I didn't have the power to block these two people, I probably would have left the board.

Please do not get rid of "ignore."

6   landtof   2016 Sep 22, 8:17am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

so maybe there's still a process for blocking people, but it should include a request to admin with a good reason?

7   Rew   2016 Sep 22, 8:47am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Yes, because an adult should weigh in on the reason, to help keep the children in line? Let's start a 'right to ignore committee' which can meet bi-weekly to review and observe all cases. (Barf)

I think ignore is working excellent as implemented. People have the right to free speech, but people also control what they listen to or not. There are a few accounts which are just noisy inflammatory trash. If a person decides something isn't of value to them, they absolutely have the right to ignore it. If the site allows a user to automatically do that, so they can interact with what has higher value to them, that's a great feature.

If someone wants to ignore to the point of removing all dissenting opinion, and put them self in a confirmation bubble ... that's their right. We don't need to baby sit and ride oversight for ignore.

8   komputodo   2016 Sep 22, 8:48am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Ceffer says

Maybe I should change my moniker to AdorableDeplorable.

You are pretty funny sometimes.

9   just_passing_through   2016 Sep 22, 8:51am     ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike   quote

Ignore is a must-have. I've only ignored one person so far but that's only because I became tired of scrolling through posts only to be surprised with pictures of fat naked dudes.

10   P N Dr Lo R   2016 Sep 22, 9:15am     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

The Deplorable DFJ says

Seven people have me on ignore

They wouldn't admit it, but it's because you're getting too close to the truth and it makes them uncomfortable because they can't formulate a response beyond "you're a worthless pile of s**t" as I've seen numerous times from one of those you've mentioned and I'm sure has me on ignore as well.

11   landtof   2016 Sep 22, 6:20pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Rew says

if it is a safety issue, which is totally dubious unless you have provided too much personally identifiable details about yourself, then patrick should consider a block.

everything else is fair game, including dan's fat guy dick pics. just scroll by them.

the current ignore allows people to continue a one-sided conversation after they use the ignore function, or make comments about people they have on ignore without allowing any rebuttal. it also serves the paid shills to block effective counter-arguments form those they deem as a threat to the cause.

if someone is smothering your threads, just let them do it - they appear clearly as trolls.

12   turtledove   2016 Sep 22, 7:37pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

landtof says

I didn't use the right word.... It felt stalky to me. I felt especially targeted, which made me uncomfortable. I put them on ignore. If ignore weren't an option, I would have gotten away from it by other means.

13   YesYNot   2016 Sep 22, 8:00pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

In most cases, the old fashioned ignore works fine (just passing the comment by). In some cases, the electronic version is very helpful.

14   just_passing_through   2016 Sep 22, 8:04pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

landtof says

including dan's fat guy dick pics. just scroll by them

No thanks.. It is a bit of a shame though. I don't agree with most of what he says but he does have some good computer science posts.

Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home