forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
757,021 comments in 77,874 posts by 11,065 registered users, 3 online now: epitaph, Tenpoundbass, WorkInProgress

new post

Request for PatNet feature: username history

By Dan8267   2016 Nov 14, 7:54am   1,484 views   23 comments   watch (0)   quote

Update PatNet to keep track of the history of username changes for each user. The trolls are changing their names more often than a corporation caught killing their customers.

Put the username history on the user page.

#misc

Comments 1-23 of 23     Last »

1   Dan8267   2016 Nov 14, 8:37am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Also, I'd suggest greying out or collapsing rather than filtering posts of ignored users. Too many bugs with doing a server-side filter of ignored users.

2   HEY YOU   2016 Nov 14, 8:42am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

There's only one user name for all of patnet,

ASSHOLE!

3   Patrick   2016 Nov 14, 9:10am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Dan8267 says

It definitely is a bit buggy to filter them out on the server side. Comment counts get messed up, for example. It just hasn't been a high enough priority to hide things with css. I just have evenings and weekends to work on this.

Bigger priority is figuring out why quoting doesn't work on Windoze.

As for remembering username history, yes, I guess that would be a good feature. Would require a new db table, but pretty easy to do.

4   Dan8267   2016 Nov 15, 2:27pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

Bigger priority is figuring out why quoting doesn't work on Windoze.

What's wrong with the quoting other than if a blockquote is the very first text in the post?

5   Rew   2016 Nov 15, 2:29pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I want the ignore, friend, and follow display counts back as well. Social capital is a real thing, whether you are anonymous or not.

6   Dan8267   2016 Nov 15, 2:33pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Here's an idea. If user A dislikes more than 10% of user B's posts or threads, have user A irrevocably and automatically ignore user B. Call it a proactive anti-trolling measure.

7   Rew   2016 Nov 15, 3:31pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Dan8267 says

I want ignore to be very deliberate. Only the most vile and annoying go there.

Currently for my taste, Patrick.net affords too much ability to be an anonymous ass-hat though. Any self respecting troll should wear their ignores like a badge of honor, right?

The reason trolls won't like a nick-name history, and the reason they don't like to see their ignore count by their name, is because they crave that sweet sweet thrill of attention and baiting. It removes some of their fun when someone is able to go from a suspect comment, and elicited feeling, to deeper quick confirmation by a little digging on their user stats.

As it is now, trolls have people's ear for longer than really need be. It takes more repeated BS to draw an ignore without the user stats more prominent and accessible. Patrick kind of caters to the noisy trolls though. They make up a non-insignificant active user base.

I would laugh my butt off to see the name changers though. Would be hilarious to see the handle hoppers shame on display.

8   Rew   2016 Nov 15, 3:43pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

In gaming, and life, I'm an "achievement whore" though. I love little user stats and things to strive for. Forum stats like that would be fun. Even the trolliest trolls might have fun with it. ;)

The 'rancid clams' achievement would be very coveted as well.

9   BayArea   2016 Nov 15, 3:47pm     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

I'm all for not being able to change your username - the feature is almost never used in a positive way.

And it's chickenshit :-)

10   curious2   2016 Nov 15, 3:55pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Dan8267 says

have user A irrevocably and automatically ignore user B.

Respectfully, I don't believe ignorance should ever be permanent. This proposal might also reinforce confirmation bias, if people see only what they want to see.

As for name changes, several users changed their name to "[User] is deplorable" during the campaign.

11   Dan8267   2016 Nov 15, 4:03pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

curious2 says

Fair point. The bad might outweigh the good on that one.

curious2 says

That's what a signature or blurb is for.

12   APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   2016 Nov 15, 4:34pm     ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike   quote

Poohbah Pat,

Can I have my original ApocalypseFuck account combined with this one? I forgot my username and made up another one, DiebankofAmericaPhukkingDie with the same image of our favorite political philosopher.

13   Dan8267   2016 Nov 15, 6:31pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

ApocalypseFuck

Yes, bring back the ApocalyseFuck account. I second that motion.

14   curious2   2016 Nov 15, 8:02pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

I forgot my username....

How? Kicked in the head by a horse? Zombie eat part of your brain while you were reloading the M134?

15   APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   2016 Nov 15, 8:09pm     ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

Ah, I meant forgot the password that went with my first user name. One day, for the life of me, I forgot it, or had changed it without remarking the new one. My ignore list was epic - like 50 people.

16   Rew   2016 Nov 15, 11:45pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

with the same image of our favorite political philosopher.

PNet gold right here. I hope she is Trump cabinet ... for the laughs.

17   curious2   2016 Nov 16, 1:34am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

My ignore list was epic - like 50 people.

Good grief. Signing into PatNet and Ignoring you is like going to a city of rude smelly people and soot, then wearing a blindfold to the Louvre.

18   NuttBoxer   2016 Nov 17, 10:41am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Rew says

I think trolls feel the opposite. How can you build a good troll rep if you're user name keeps changing? If no one ignores you, how can you ever aspire to be a true troll. I don't think you and Dan are complaining about trolls. You're complaining about pussies.

19   Rew   2016 Nov 17, 10:55am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

NuttBoxer says

How can you build a good troll rep if you're user name keeps changing?

I agree. A free range alpha troll probably does feel this way. Our Pnet 'troll wanabes' are invested, here, and secretly they so badly crave respect and adoration. The likes/dislikes/ignores/friends matter the most to them. They fear the social backlashes they often get and are handle hopping cowards because of it. (CIC and Shrek)

They hide because they know it helps maintain the illusion of credibility longer. They hide because it covers their shameful record or being wrong. The lack of paper trail and anonymity is their antidote to ears that quickly tune out or stop listening altogether.

NuttBoxer says

You're complaining about pussies.

You are very right! :)

20   NuttBoxer   2016 Nov 17, 1:15pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Rew says

(CIC and Shrek)

I've never had a problem knowing who Ironman was, are you referring to someone different?

21   Rew   2016 Nov 17, 1:45pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Nope, you got one of em.

22   APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   2016 Nov 17, 1:49pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

curious2 says

Thank you, Mr Kitty Curious2. I've never been compared to the Louvre before!

23   Dan8267   2016 Nov 17, 2:08pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

NuttBoxer says

I've never had a problem knowing who Ironman was

No one does. The scent of goat ass gives it away.

Comments 1-23 of 23     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home