forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
757,069 comments in 77,939 posts by 11,088 registered users, 3 online now: joeyjojojunior, Waitup, YesYNot

new post

40 Proposals

By someone else   Feb 19, 6:18am   270 links   45,048 views   288 comments   watch (3)   quote

The common theme is ending the entrapment and exploitation of US citizens.

Copyright

Crime and Prisons

Discrimination

Education

Foreign Policy

• End all visas for Saudis and freeze their US assets until they establish freedom to change religion and freedom of speech, stop murdering gays, and stop sponsoring terrorism.
  • Ban oil imports from countries without democracy, freedom to change religion, or freedom of speech.
  • Put compensating tariffs on foreign goods from countries with lower wages or lower environmental standards.

Freedom of Speech

• Prohibit job termination based on political activities outside of work.

Immigration

Medical Care

Men's Rights

Money

• Define the dollar as one ounce of pure silver minted by the US government.
  • Audit the Federal Reserve and make all their books and operations completely open to the public.

Real Estate

Regulation

Taxes

• Require every employer and financial company to use the exact same printed and online format for every W-2, 1099, etc, and to make all financial data available to customers via standardized REST APIs. All fields must always have exactly the same names and be in the same positions. HR Block etc lobby to make sure this does not happen.
  • Increase taxes on non-productive rent-seeking and decrease taxes on income from productive work or sales. Swap the current maximum tax rates on income from work vs capital gains.
  • End Prop 13 in California.
  • Prohibit sales tax on used property that was already taxed per the full retail price when first sold.
  • Prohibit all public sector unions, especially teacher's unions and prison guard unions.

Transit

• Give official federal priority to fast safe cheap rail transit in place of subsidies and favoritism for cars, oil, and highways.

Voting

• Require proof of US citizenship to vote.
  • Establish the inalienability of the right to vote for all US citizens, whether in prison or not.
  • Publicly fund all congressional and presidential campaigns
  • Publicly post all bills two weeks in advance of Congressional vote. Require that Congressmen personally read entire bill before voting on it.
  • People should have a right to petition Congress regarding a specific proposal, and if they get enough signatures require a roll call vote in both houses of Congress on the verbatim topic of the petition, without amendments.

How you can help: If you agree with any or all of these proposals, please add your own feedback on the proposals and post links to the proposals on other websites.

#politics

« First     « Previous     Comments 249-288 of 288     Last »

249   Dan8267   Feb 23, 4:12pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

I want to limit my list to 40, so I'll have to drop something to add that.

The size of your list should be determined by the number of reforms you can justify, not some arbitrary cap.

250   indigenous   Feb 23, 4:12pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Dan8267 says

There is no reason that we need more than one bank to do all the above. There is no reason for a private bank. This is clearly something that is best done by the state, and the state gets sooooooo many benefits from it that it should absorb the trivial per customer costs -- hell, it saves the state money on law enforcement -- and provide all the services in the best way for free. It even allows the state to improve the financial state of its citizens allowing it to have a better economy, and thus also more tax revenues.

Lenders can be private institutions and if they fail it's the investors who lose out. Lenders won't be able to take the economy down with them.

Wrong binary breath, there is NO accountability with the state notice one of the posts above that the highest mean income in the US is in Washington DC.

251   iwog   Feb 23, 4:13pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

I'm happier now.

252   someone else   Feb 23, 4:13pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Dan8267 says

My brain is of limited size, unfortunately. To really get to know a set of issues, I have to limit it.

253   iwog   Feb 23, 4:15pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

indigenous says

Wrong binary breath

ad hominem

254   Dan8267   Feb 23, 4:21pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

indigenous says

Well, you've convinced me with that poorly rendered assertion. And to think, all these years I've been wasting my time using evidence and logically valid reasoning to form my beliefs.

255   Dan8267   Feb 23, 4:22pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

My brain is of limited size, unfortunately

That's why we have writing, libraries, and the Internet. Your knowledge base isn't limited to what can fit in your own brain. You have access to external storage and data.

256   Dan8267   Feb 23, 4:23pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

iwog says

indigenous says

Wrong binary breath

ad hominem

Really? I took that as a compliment. He's saying I'm logical like a Turing machine. I guess that's an insult to him, but being called intelligent and rational is a compliment to me.

257   indigenous   Feb 23, 5:56pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Dan8267 says

To think otherwise is not thinking...

258   Bellingham Bill   Feb 23, 7:26pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

iwog says

Home prices skyrocketed before the bubble caused by Greenspan's lowering of the interest rates in 2002 to 2004.

Except none of that happened, the bubble wasn't caused by Greenpan lowering the discount rate, and free money generated from fraudulent bond selling as prescribed by YOUR free market ideology was entirely responsible and indeed all that was necessary.

Falling mortgage interest rates 2002-

were a nice tailwind but there were other parts of the story to understand.

One was that housing was depressed for most of the 90s in most areas (the dotcom-fueled SF bay area was just the first to bubble ca. 1997-).

The main thing tho was that a) appreciation was begetting appreciation, prices were going up because prices were going up. What sustained the price movement into 2004-2005 was the liberalization of lending, both thanks to private securitization fully funding all loans banks (and the thousands of dodgy mortgage companies like CountryWide) could put together (the rising market hid all lending sins since once a house appreciates 20% it's not going to go into foreclosure).

"sub-prime" and "alt-a" not to mention liar loans, 80/20, and even negative-am financing opened the lower end of the market up to new buyers, a new buyer at the bottom introduces a chain-reaction of move-up buyers.

plus the rising home-indebtedness was the mother of all stealth stimuli, this was a trillion/y monetary injection right into the middle class, markedly increasing the overall velocity of the consumer economy in all bubble areas.

Back to the quote above, interest rates didn't cause the bubble because interest rates weren't responsible for lenders making trillions of suicide loans

259   Bellingham Bill   Feb 23, 7:33pm     ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

real (2009 dollars) per-capita annual home mortgage indebtedness increase

260   Bellingham Bill   Feb 23, 7:35pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

oh, let's not forget the Bush tax cuts of 2001-2003 also helping the market move upwards in response.

261   Bellingham Bill   Feb 23, 7:38pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

iwog says

The beautiful thing about fiat currency is that it cannot be hoarded or cornered to influence its value, at least as long as the central bank knows what it's doing.

fiat also breaks the monopoly the rich have on capital.

hard money is the rich man's wet dream, which is why rich man ideologies like the Austrian School BS are all for it.

262   someone else   Feb 23, 7:41pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I don't see it.

The rich still have a monopoly with fiat capital.

263   MrEd   Feb 24, 6:16am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

So it looks like the person 'ad hominemed' should have the capacity to 'unhominem' the perceived 'adhominem' since the perception of an 'adhominem attack' varies from person to person.
Or, simpler to implement, only allow the person 'adhominemed' to use the 'adhominem' link.
But this would depend on the 'quote' function to work accurately, which it does for quoting one person only.
When highlighting quotes from multiple people in one post, it tends to only capture one of the people and assign all the quoted text to them.
In closing, the 'quote' function needs to be smart enough to determine who is being 'adhominemed', so that it can enable the 'adhominem' link for that poster only.

Dan8267 says

ad hominem

264   Bellingham Bill   Feb 24, 6:28am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

The rich still have a monopoly with fiat capital.

Fiat -- QE -- is literally the bank in Monopoly just handing out more money to players to keep the game going.

When the Fed pushed trillions into the economy 2009-2014 it did it via buying gov't bonds and mortgage bonds.

This effectively cut the yields of these instruments, transferring money from savers (aka the rich) to today's borrowers.

I think without this QE the world economy would look a lot different today, and not in a good way.

blue is real (2009 dollars) per-capita MZM, red is velocity of said MZM.

We need MORE spending power aka money/credit redistributed to the lower quintiles.

Going hard money is not the way to get there.

265   indigenous   Feb 24, 7:13am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Bellingham Bill has me on ignore.

It seems like he is saying that the increase in the money supply has had no effect.

The main reason for this is the low velocity, the main reason for low velocity is demographics.

The definition of inflation is an increase in the money supply. But before that inflation manifests itself there has to be an increase in the demand.

The low demand was caused by the demographics, Logan has this right.

Where the QE has manifested is in the stock market and real estate.

This is a chart (changed in scale) to show the correlation between the DJIA and the central bank increase in the money supply.

IOW you don't do this without "unintended consequences".

266   joeyjojojunior   Feb 24, 7:18am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

"The main reason for this is the low velocity, the main reason for low velocity is demographics"

No, actually the main reason for low velocity is inequality.

267   indigenous   Feb 24, 7:21am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

joeyjojojunior says

the main reason for low velocity is inequality.

And the main reason for inequality is the fed increasing the money supply.

TWO TIMES in history the fed has pulled this shit...

268   joeyjojojunior   Feb 24, 7:24am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Same graph--doesn't seem quite so convincing this time, though, does it?

269   joeyjojojunior   Feb 24, 7:26am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

"And the main reason for inequality is the fed increasing the money supply. TWO TIMES in history the fed has pulled this shit..."

wtf are you talking about? Inequality has been steady rising at the same rate since around the late 70s. What did the Federal Reserve do in 1975?

270   indigenous   Feb 24, 7:32am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

I'm not interested in you narrative, the chart clearly shows that the fed has increased the money supply since the US was taken off the gold standard, no stories puwleeze.

271   joeyjojojunior   Feb 24, 7:43am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

"For starters the graph I posted was created by a PHD in economics, 2nd you are showing time frames that did not have QE."

I'm sorry--can you not read the x-axis of both graphs? I included the exact same time period that you did, only I expanded it slightly. Any correlation, if it existed, should still be clear.

Of course the money supply has increased. Nobody is disputing that. What you are incorrect about is that it caused the inequality.

272   indigenous   Feb 24, 7:45am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

joeyjojojunior says

I'm sorry--can you not read the x-axis of both graphs?

Back at ya.

joeyjojojunior says

What you are incorrect about is that it caused the inequality.

I'm showing proof that it did. You are spewing your narrative...

273   indigenous   Feb 24, 7:54am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Also notice that the correlation goes away since the fed has stopped increasing the money supply. In fact that is scary because the demand is coming from demographics.

274   indigenous   Feb 24, 8:36am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

275   joeyjojojunior   Feb 24, 9:08am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

"I'm showing proof that it did. You are spewing your narrative..."

What proof exactly? All I've seen from you is a chart showing inequality over time.

"here is the graph I came up with with the correct dates. I changed the scale to show the correlation."

Was your previous graph the S&P 500 squared too? I didn't see that--or rather, I couldn't read it from your chart. And if the correlation goes away when the money supply is no longer increasing--it's not a causation. It should fit when both increasing and decreasing.

That definitely shows you are wrong.

276   indigenous   Feb 24, 9:11am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Wut the fuck are you talking about?

277   someone else   Feb 24, 9:13am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

MrEd says

You're right, that's a flaw.

OK, it's on my list of things to fix.

278   krc   Feb 24, 10:56am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick - What about in the Men's Rights:
Marriage implies both parties agreement for procreation. Unmarried status: men should have equal post-conception rights and the ability to refuse financial obligation for a child where the woman unilaterally decides to continue the pregnancy.
I think there was a recent thread that discussed this in detail...

279   someone else   Feb 24, 11:04am     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

krc says

Yes, that's a favorite issue of mine, and I'd like to get there, but I think it feels like it would be hard to get enough support and I've already get 3 men's rights issues that seem more likely to get support:

Ban corporate HR department and university Title IX kangaroo courts.
Mandate paternity testing at birth. Eliminate all child support obligation for non-biological fathers.
Require courts to assume that a woman of age, voluntarily alone in a bedroom with a man, has consented to sex.

280   krc   Feb 24, 11:51am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Establish the inalienability of the right to vote for all US citizens, whether in prison "or" not.

281   krc   Feb 24, 11:53am     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

BTW - I think that your third point (assumption of sexual consent if in a bedroom) is more controversial than my point. But I understand...

282   someone else   Feb 24, 12:17pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

@krc you know what, you are right. I should add post-conception rights for men, because it is an injustice that they just don't have any.

I'll find a space.

283   someone else   Feb 24, 12:18pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

krc says

Thanks for pointing out the error! Fixed now.

284   BayArea   Feb 24, 4:25pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I'm interested in hearing more about banning corporate HR.

Patrick, would you please explain your logic/reasoning ?

285   someone else   Feb 24, 4:40pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

BayArea says

I'm interested in hearing more about banning corporate HR.

Patrick, would you please explain your logic/reasoning ?

@BayArea thanks for the push. I expanded on the idea here:

286   BayArea   Feb 24, 7:37pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Kangaroo courts, this is a topic that I don't think many people are very familiar with unless they've been through that system for some offense.

Thanks for bringing it to light.

287   TwoScoopsMcGee   Mar 10, 4:21pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Confine Colleges and Universities to plagarism and other scholastic offenses.

Educational Institutions that receive $1 of Federal (or State) Funding cannot expel or discipline students over suspected acts that would be considered Felonies. They must wait until a conviction is reached by a proper court.

Women's Studies Professors and Sociology Majors are not qualified to run a court judging Felonies, and since many allow the accuser not to testify...

288   someone else   Mar 10, 4:40pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Yes, good way to put it! I added your comment to my original post about kangaroo courts:

« First     « Previous     Comments 249-288 of 288     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home