forgot password register

reset password

#housing #politics #investing more»
757,245 comments in 78,013 posts by 11,102 registered users, 6 online now: Dan8267, just_passing_through, mell, nakkawi, WillyWanker, YesYNot

new post

Wow-DOJ to take on affirmative action in colleges

By lostand confused   2017 Aug 2, 1:37pm 1009 views   11 comments   watch   quote

he Trump administration is preparing to redirect resources of the Justice Department’s civil rights division toward investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

1 Blurtman   2017 Aug 2, 3:09pm   ↑ like (4)   ↑ dislike (4)     quote

Hallelujah! You know you'll hear from folks who claim that they benefitted from affirmative action. Funny how that argument doesn't seem to work when the shoe is on the other foot.

2 Goran_K   2017 Aug 2, 3:10pm   ↑ like (7)   ↑ dislike (7)     quote

Finally, fighting actual racism instead of made-up SJW racism.

3 theoakman   2017 Aug 2, 3:17pm   ↑ like (3)   ↑ dislike (3)     quote

I benefited from affirmative action. I received a fellowship in grad school that paid me $35k a year and health insurance. The goal of the fellowship was to "increase woman and minority participation in science". The best part was, they thought I was hispanic and that's why they gave it to me. They freaked out on the year end report when I checked off asian and white. They even asked me about it at the end of the year report and asked me to check off the box as hispanic.

4 epitaph   2017 Aug 2, 8:40pm   ↑ like (3)   ↑ dislike (3)     quote

Even with all of the drama side show shit, Trump has had a great first half a year even if I don't agree with all he has done.

5 lostand confused   2017 Aug 2, 9:04pm   ↑ like (3)   ↑ dislike (3)     quote

Yup, first he shut down the tPP, renegotating NAFTA, looks like the border wall is on, working on reducing legal immigration,working on llegal immigration etc. Not bad-despite the establishment throwing everything and the kitchen sink at him. I feel bad for the guy-but we need him.

There are things that I don't like-Jare/Ivanka, thsi whole messiness , but otherwise super. I wasn't voting for some polished robot who says whatever you want to hear-Hillary!

7 zzyzzx   2017 Aug 3, 8:15am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote

theoakman says

I figured that any white person could do this is well, since it's basically an honor system anyway (although my Polish name might raise some attention).

8 theoakman   2017 Aug 3, 8:30am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote

zzyzzx says

theoakman says

you absolutely can, there's no mechanism in place and no legal way for them to check. But that being said, I only applied because the SJW professor in the department sought me out because in her mind, I was "that hispanic student". I didn't realize it was for minorities until I read the renewal proposal when they went for more funding. That's why they flipped out. They had legitimate concerns about losing the grant because some money went to someone that was asian.

9 rpanic01   2017 Aug 3, 9:42am   ↑ like (1)   ↑ dislike (1)     quote

Reminds me of the time I went to a job fair not knowing it was sponsored by the NAACP. I showed up wearing a suit wondering why there were only black people going in. It was awesome they had tons aerospace, federal/state law enforcement, and tech companies with nobody walking up to their booths. Everybody was in line to talk to Sony media for a job the line was about 400 yards long lol.

10 Rin   2017 Aug 3, 9:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↑ dislike (0)     quote

First, eliminate affirmative action for rich ppl, see Jared Kuchner below ...

Excerpt: "Kushner’s father, Charles Kushner, a wealthy and connecte