BayArea's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 1761 - 1800 of 1,800     Last »

BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 6:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
Something about her gives me the willies even now.

My thoughts exactly, just creepy
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 6:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

@Patrick you show to Oct 2017

During the last 6mo here on the Peninsula, there is a feel of something very strange happening with just how crazy this bull market has become. I don’t yet have data to back it up but the frenzy here has all of a sudden intensified since 2H~2017
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 7:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
Satoshi_Nakamoto says
Basically the bitch went of rails when she discovered that it's not possible to make decent living from posting loony rants and weird "workout videos" on the interwebz.

To be fair, it seems she was actually making some money until someone at UTube de-monetized her.

(Hoist by my own petard when I tried to mention UTube by its proper name...)

How much money was she making before the demonetization ?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 9:01am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

marcus says
Yeah, I remember democracy. IT was pretty cool.

You don’t have democracy anymore?

Maybe you need a few weeks in a country without a democracy to recalibrate you.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 9:04am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

zzyzzx says

Did it? It’s the top story on my feed.

Where is this story disappearing?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 6, 9:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

This thread makes me lol

I find the nozimess creepy and the paranoia entertaining.

The site can be useful for some things like finding painters, contractors, house cleaners, gardeners, etc

But the amount of complaining is staggering. The Peninsula Nextdoors are also anti-Trump and anti-gun ball shining forums.

As Patrick pointed out, privacy is a major concern with that site.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 7, 4:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
BayArea says
It’s the top story on my feed.

Where is this story disappearing?

Not a single mention on the main page of Google News:

Oops, this comment will be deleted since it was a quote of another poster, which is now considered a personal attack, based on the rules.

The shooting happened on April 3rd. You show no mention on Google News on April 5th. I wonder what is typical coverage of a shooting where no victims are killed?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 8, 5:16pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

A year ago I would have guessed this was a joke.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 8, 5:30pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick, I also posted this link a few hrs before you.

This article is very misleading due to the fact that more are coming than are leaving (we can acknowledge that the amount leaving is high). How else could the outrageous housing and rental prices be explained?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 8, 11:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
BayArea says

San Francisco lost more residents than any other city in the US in the last quarter of 2017, according to data from real-estate site Redfin, which sampled a million users. The data factored in the number of residents that cities gained, meaning San Francisco lost a net 15,489 residents; about 24% more than the next-highest loser on the list, New York City.

It looks like an absolute loss of residents from this.

Thanks for pointing that out Patrick as this is the first evidence I’ve seen claiming more leaving than coming. I’m skeptical, wonder what’s meant by “which sampled a million users”
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 9, 3:13pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

6mo later with increasing volatility, I’d like to bump this back to the top to see how people’s strategies are changing and if any stocks stand out in your portfolio moving forward?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 9, 3:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

FortWayne says
GOOG

This would have broke me even over 6mo... I’m sure that changes in the long run
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 10, 8:00am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Read this today:

California
Fastest-growing metropolitan area: San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward
2010-2017 pop. growth: +8.8% (+382,547)
Feb. 2018 unemployment: 2.8% (State: 4.3%)
Largest driver of growth: International migration

BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 12:16pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Evan F. says
As long as the tenant isn't mentally unstable, violent or drug addicted.. there are plenty of homeless that are simply down on their luck and need a hand up to get back in the fight...

Someone isn't familiar with homeless evidently.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 1:33pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick, well said, spot on sir.

The gawd-damn media has lost it's mind.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 1:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Tenpoundbass says
BayArea says

99% of them have fucked over everyone in their life for the last time, and have outlasted their welcome with their friends and family.
the other 1% are too proud to ask for help from friends and family aren't going to ask it from you.
Enjoy your mentally deranged backyard Serial Killer.

Homeless people are homeless because they are mentally ill or have fucked over the last person they knew that was kind enough to help/support them.

I don't consider someone who sleeps in his car until he gets his paycheck so he can get an apartment Homeless. Homeless is a chosen lifestyle.

You simply can't put a roof over mental problems.

quoting me? I didn't say that lol.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 4:12pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Evan F. says
As long as the tenant isn't mentally unstable, violent or drug addicted.

Bless your huge heart.

Edit - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't often exposed to homeless nor understand the drivers of homelessness.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 4:37pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Tenpoundbass says
I ditched the Samsung Galaxy 6, it reached it's planned obsolesce and quit taking a charge.
I bought an LG $175 Jobber. I'll never own or use a premium flagship phone ever again.
I'm back to using seperate devices for everything. My phone is demoted back to being just a phone.
I'll use my DSLR Camera, Camcorder, Guitar Tuner, Zoom Recorder, Flashlight, Garmin GPS for everything else.

A glutton for punishment :-)
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 4:38pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Thanks for the replies all.

I do like Apple phones. They just do everything I want them to well.

What I don't like is I-tunes and it's not as versatile a storage device as the android phones I've used previously.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 7:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
I switched from Android to iPhone because I don't like being spied on by Google.

My only complaint is the lack of a headphone jack on the iPhone. Really hate having to remember or find that adapter dongle.

@Patrick

How much truth is there to security between apple vs google? Is one really more of a concern than the other?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 9:07pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
Moto G5 Plus

I've been reading that this is the best budget smartphone on the market. The only thing it doesn't do yet is give handjobs.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 11, 10:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Good post, I'll share mine when I have some free time
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 12, 11:02am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I am skeptical there are any increases in the prevalence of this sort of thing. I think it's being publicized in the media more in recent times, that's all.

We just didn't have social media and texting to leave an evidence trail in the past. And the media continues to grow hungrier for salacious stories with time too.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 12, 11:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
BayArea says

@BayArea Yes, I think Google is much more of a privacy violator than Apple is.

Apple just sells you a phone or laptop, phone apps, and maybe some music. Google's business is to spy on all your searches, all your email, where you physically are at all times, and what is being spoken near your phone, and then to sell your private info to the highest bidder. All to show you advertising.

Very different business models.

Thanks for your take Patrick, given the products offered (and not offered) between the two, you are probably right.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 12, 7:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

What prepaid plans are you guys using?

I'm leaning towards the Moto G5 Plus... reading that this phone works best on Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile, and has some limitations on ATT.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 13, 4:12pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I don't know what to say.

I am so perplexed how an adult male could write such a pathetic piece.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 14, 8:23pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Well, after all that, my wife got a new IphoneX and passed down her old Iphone-6 to me LOL.

If that one ever craps out, I'll be back here and again hunting for the best budget smartphone - Perhaps a Moto G5 Plus like AF.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 19, 7:08pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I’m white and I’ve been asked to buy something or leave an establishment in the past.

Black people are every bit as smart and capable as any other race. And yet the MSM continues to do them a disservice by not treating them as equals.

I still don’t know why the CEO apologized for enforcing a company policy.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 8:50am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Those were the highlights eh?

I’ll keep my 2001 Lexus lol
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 8:59am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Bless liberal hearts for all the sweet fantasy ideas.

The problem is that eventually you have to deal with reality, and liberal design quickly breaks down.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 9:06am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

That was hilarious, thanks for sharing!

Oh my, the disservice some are doing kids...

One of the worst things you can do to a child is convince them that there is a boogeyman keeping them down which they can blame for their shortcomings in life.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 9:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Although your 7 reasons are fine, you must factor in rising rental markets if we are going to have a genuine conversation about real estate vs stock market.

Everyone has to live somewhere.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 6:51pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

What’s driving a 1.5% monthly construction cost increase?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 29, 9:37pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Here are the fundamental problems:

1.) Once an individual buys a home, they become a NIMBY in most cases.

2.) NIMBYs pay the property taxes, so they are a very powerful group, despite being greatly outnumbered by people that want more development. These people don’t pay the property taxes.

Problem confirmed 😀
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 3, 8:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
No, still looking passively, but can't find anything that's a better deal than renting the equivalent in the Bay Area. Also I'm getting a bit nervous/hopeful that prices are actually going to be falling around here.

I'm not in a rush and have no timeline. Certainly glad I held on to all my stocks and got that 34% gain in 2017

Same boat here Patrick.

As has been covered many many times on this forum, rent:buy price ratios are smaller in affluent areas. It’s much cheaper for me to rent in affluent (Belmont/San Carlos) than to buy here.

I also expect something to give in the near term. When it does, I’ll buy.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 3, 8:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

rootvg says
I've bought a few minor toys but the big purchases will wait until there's blood in the streets. That day is coming.

Blood in the streets is the most efficient time where money changes hands from the poor/middle class to the rich. It’s built in by design and tends to come every decade or so like clockwork.
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 6, 10:21pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

lostand confused says
Very common-in my circle. A lot of my friends circle bought at 5% down.

What lenders?
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 11, 9:29pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

No question he gets re-elected if the next 2.5yrs is like the first 1.5
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 7:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

$50,000 for immense harm to dignity

Rofl, too good
  BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 9:44pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

everything says
Neither of them deserved to live, together they should have survived, but it's everyone for themselves. All you need to do is pick up a rock or find a weapon, a stick, anything will do, this is how man learned to survive .. by using that opposable thumb. The trick with cougar is not to turn your back to it. Even if my head was in it's mouth I would have my fingers in it's ears and looking to gouge an eye. Never give up. In territory like that I'd be carrying mace, knife, and maybe even a gun.

I love your fighting spirit but if a big cat wants you dead, you’re dead.

The Housing Trap