New Renter's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 6820 - 6859 of 6,859     Last »

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 2, 12:24am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

One thing to avoid in some 1970 era houses, aluminum wiring. Its thicker, less flexible and breaks easily. I hated working with it.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 5, 3:13am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

To answer the comment about the anti-education slant:

In my experience a higher degree is at best thought of as work experience. A person with a bachelors and 5-7 years of experience will make about as much as a new Ph.D. Even after several years in industry the difference in salaries is not nearly enough to justify the fiscal sacrifices of graduate school.

For example, my wife and I both earned our Ph.D.s in chemistry from the UC system. It took both of us a year or more to land our first industry jobs in the Bay Area. This was in 2004-5 prior to the recession and according to the statistics presented by the American Chemical Society at the time this was not unusual. When we finally did become employed our compensation packages were roughly equivalent as what my sister was earning at a major pharma company as a Research Assistant III with a BS. All our salaries have tracked more or less equivalently since then. My wife and I each gave up 8+ years of earning potential to go to graduate school. I once calculated the salary discrepancy, it was too depressing. Even today we have yet to break even and I doubt we ever will.

I don't think anyone here is really anti-education, just anti too much education.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 5, 5:28am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Dan8267 says

I don't think there is such a thing as too much education. However, education and degrees are not the same thing. And degrees are way overpriced.

A degree is supposed to be a metric of education; however in retrospect it seems to me a person can do much better by imply obtaining a minimum of formal education - a BS in my field of chemistry, work in industry and get a more valued "education" than an academic one all the while earning 2-4x as much money, at least for the short term. It may be possible that the higher degrees will pay off eventually but I would say the risk to return is highly questionable at best

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 5, 5:48am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Dan8267 says

And I image that getting a Ph.D. in chemistry is exceptionally hard. There can't be as many Ph.D.s in chemistry as there are MBAs. And chemists are more valuable. I can write an application that can manage a company as well as the typical MBA, but it would be a hell of lot harder to write an app that can replace chemists.

Thanks for the vote of confidence; however I had an experience recently that makes me skeptical of software as a replacement of a skilled professional.

My father wrote his living trust using Quicken Lawyer. He was very proud of himself for having saved hundreds of dollars by not using a lawyer. In the trust he left his house to my siblings and myself. He bought the house in 1978 so the prop 13 assessment is relatively low. He made it very clear to my siblings and myself that he wanted one of us to have the house for the prop 13 assessment advantage. Unfortunately he like so many don't understand prop 13/58 as well as he thought he did. He did not grant the executors authority for non-pro rata distribution of the real property to preserve the tax basis for a single beneficiary. I don't believe Quicken clearly advised the need for this for his wishes to be possible. Now we have to sell the house as the extra tax makes it unaffordable.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 5, 5:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Dan8267 says

And if we don't start embracing that vision, China will.

Didn't we say the same things about Japan back in the 80's? I also remember the same hyperbole about a shortage of scientists and engineers back then - its the main reason I went into science in the first place.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 6, 2:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Nomograph says

Not true at all. Ph.D. chemists can make solidly in the six figures right out the starting gate, and they have ZERO DEBT from graduate school. Many rise through the ranks of big pharma or other large corporations and make huge salaries.

Others take a more entrepreneurial tack and become extremely wealthy in the startup environs. Here in La Jolla you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a chemist who hit it big.

Still others combine a chemistry Ph.D. with another degree such as J.D. or MBA, and go on to highly lucrative careers in IP law or science business.

Of course, many who are less skilled, less motivated, or just plain unlucky chemists who remain at or near the bench. These are the folks who risk being flushed out during lean times.

The question isn’t whether one can do well; the question is how LIKELY one is to do well in a career in science or engineering. The CA lottery has made lots of millionaires but I wouldn’t bet my future on winning big there. The point is that an advanced degree in science requires much more of an investment and is much less likely to pay off than in years past.

Don’t get me wrong, I have met a LOT of scientists over the years including some of those La Jolla chemists you hit with your cat. The sad part is that what you call hitting it big is what used to be a normal life for many but is now only for a few.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 7, 11:40pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Nomograph says

|Add to My Job Cart

SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
North America-United States-California-San Diego
Job Posting:06-Jun-2011-Requisition ID 3944110331
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Great - now are any of these these positions active?

I've been in the job market enough to recognize that just because a position is advertised it may not be real or active. Companies go out on fishing expeditions all the time or have a position with an internal candidate already in mind but need to advertise the position for legal reasons. I've also seen job reqs pulled for lack of funding. Heck, the conspiracy minded might accuse employers of running impossible to fill ads to facilitate the shortage myth.

Ever read "The Grapes of Wrath?"

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 8, 12:01am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

corntrollio says

All a PhD, or any other degree for that matter, buys you is a chance to compete. There are no guarantees.

Exactly. It may have been the case that a PhD in the 60s and 70s automatically gave you certain opportunities, but the market is more competitive now. That doesn't mean that it isn't hard to find qualified Chem PhDs -- it still is. Some people went to lower ranked schools and were unimaginative in their dissertation or maybe were just unlucky and didn't get good results. It's no surprise if they don't do as well as high flying, highly-motivated, creative top school grads.

Or aren't willing to spend 12+hrs/day 6 days a week in the lab for $30k anymore. A new Chem Ph.D. buddy of mine interviewed at an environmental chemistry company in San Diego which offered him exactly that.

A mutual friend of ours was working in that company. Those were the kind of hours she was putting in herself. She told us that job had only been advertised because the owner was facing a mutiny from his workers. He clearly didn't want to hire anyone, just go through the motions to appear as if he had tried but couldn't find anyone.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 8, 1:24am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

This discussion brought to mind the question why there are no cries of a shortage of "qualified" CEOs and other company officers. Boards are clearly willing to pay enormous sums for even mediocre talent yet there has never seemed to be any concern of a lack of qualified applicants.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 8, 10:02am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

thenuttyneutron says

The wood in the house for framing and subflooring is boric acid treated and I highly doubt I will have any worries with mold or rot.

That was VERY smart! I did the same thing as my fathers house was under reconstruction. The product I used was Boracare, which is essentially antifreeze mixed with boron compounds (boric acid, borax, etc.) I did as much research on the manufacturers claims as I could. It looked good. There is a paper out there put out by the US forest service showing its effectiveness against termites.

The things I liked about this product was its ease of application, low toxicity (once applied) and how the components work against different problems. The borax kills boring insects while the antifreeze prevents fungal infections such as dry rot. As long as the wood doesn't get repeatedly soaked enough to leech out the compounds it should give lifetime protection for much less than even a single tenting. It also imparts some fire resistance to the wood.

I also saw there is at least one manufacturer that sells wood pretreated with this compound. The cost worked out to about $1 more per sqft.

There are a few homemade recipes out there. I tried doing it myself but ended up making a big mess.

And no, I am not affiliated with Boracare in any way, I am just a satisfied customer.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 9, 9:59am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

zzyzzx says

Skip college and try stripping instead:

Strippers In Williston, North Dakota Raking In $2,000 Per Night In Tips

As thousands of men move to Williston, North Dakota seeking high-paying jobs working for oil companies, area strippers have seen their salaries skyrocket, CNNMoney reports. Strippers claim that they can make $2,000 to $3,000 per night in tips -- more than in typical strip club hot spots like Las Vegas -- dancing for the oil rig workers, many of whom moved to the town without their families.

If the homeowner isn't insulted by your offer...you didn't bid low enough!!!

Tempting...So tempting.
I knew people who took that route. It takes a strange combination of an enormous ego and low self-esteem.

Still does one have to service the VIP lounge for those kind of tips?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 9, 10:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Nomograph says

Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
North America-United States-California-San Diego
Job Posting:06-Jun-2011-Requisition ID 3944110331
Apply

My issue isn't only whether the jobs are there but whether they pay enough to make up for 7-10 years of low wages and potential student loan debt? If the same job requires a BS and 10-15 years of experience or a Ph.D. with 5 years there is NO point to taking the Ph.D. route.

The key to getting people interested in science and engineering is to show them that the sacrifices they will make have a real chance of paying off and DON'T squander them on expensive boondoggles (I'm looking at YOU space shuttle and international space station!)

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 9, 10:37pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Kevin says

I interviewed a guy today who had a double masters (CS & EE) and more than 8 years of industry experience.

He couldn't implement a trivial serialization problem -- the kind that any first-year CS student should be able to handle.

Anyone who claims there's no shortage is full of shit.

Please, if you know good software engineers in the bay area, NYC, seattle, or boston, send me a message. I could use the referral bonus.

Edit:

And, in case you're wondering, someone with that experience will make around $150-200k, plus bonus and equity. The benefits are pretty obscene, too.

Great, if you can send me a job description and some contact info I'll be happy to check around. I know quite a few software engineers who may fit your needs.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 9, 10:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

elliemae says

I'd be a stripper - if my skin fit better.

Not that I'm into this kind of thing but there are supposed to be clubs that cater to such things. If anything there's always amateur night....

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 10, 5:33am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

zzyzzx says

New renter says

Still does one have to service the VIP lounge for those kind of tips?

For $3000 per night, would you really care?

If the homeowner isn't insulted by your offer...you didn't bid low enough!!!

Depends on whether herpes, hepatitis, AIDS, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea and or crabs are part of the deal

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 11, 2:18am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

My favorite green energy - NUCLEAR!!!

It works at night, in bad weather, when the wind doesn't blow and when the ocean is still. The problems to making it safe are NOT technical they are purely political. My father was a nuclear engineer who knew a few things about the industry. He designed sub reactors, breeder reactors light and heavy water reactors. He convinced me that safety was not a technical impossibility but a political one. Yes reactors are expensive but they don't have to be THAT expensive.

As for the waste if Yucca mountain is not going to happen there is another potential solution: sub seabed disposal. This still needs some research but the concept is simple - either drop the waste in special containers off a ship in the middle of the ocean. The containers hit the the bottom of the ocean floor and imbed themselves under the muck. They can sit there undisturbed for thousands or millions of years. In the unlikely situation were a container were to break the muck has been shown to chemically bind the waste. Heck even if it were to leech out it'd still be in the bottom of the ocean under 3 miles or more of water. By the time it got to us it'd be so dilute as to be background.

From what I understand this was looked into in the 1980s but all the funding was canceled in favor of Yucca mountain. We then signed a treaty banning this kind of disposal to ensure funding for Yucca mountain would be protected. This treaty is up for renewal in 2014. I'd like to see sub seabed disposal reexamined at the very least. I do not believe solar wind or any combination of non-nuclear alternative energy will meet this country's electrical needs by a long shot. We need nuclear and we need it now.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 11, 2:38am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I vote for my religion.

In my religion I tell you what you want to hear and you give me LOTS of money and your hot wives and daughters. I am not taxed on the money because I am the head of a religion. You do whatever I tell you because you believe in me and my righteousness. You vote the way I say and you say whatever I tell you to.

You appreciate my giving my attention to your hot wives and daughters because you believe I am wonderful. I do not have to help you when you are in trouble because I tell you that self sufficiency, sacrifice and hard work are the only path to salvation. You work towards salvation by building me an exhorbarant temple, then a bigger and more exhorbarant one and more and more. You travel the world to recruit new believers who also send me their money, hot wives and daughters. You protect me because by protecting me you protect your beliefs. I exist in super luxury surrounded by your hot wives and daughters who service on my every need and desire while you guard me with your lives against the non-believers.

Yep, that gets my vote for best religion!

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 12, 11:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

bob2356 says

That would make you a typical born again christian minister wouldn't it. You forgot about the hot teenage and/or pre puberty boys that some ba family values types seem find irresistable.

Gee ya think?

I'll pass on the hot teenage and pre-pubecent boys. In fact I may send them all off to far away lands to preach my awesomeness. Less distraction for the hot wives and daughters...

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 12, 12:24pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Matt.BayArea says

Drop it into a sea floor rift, by the time it's spewed up by a volcano it will be non-radioactive! Actually, it probably won't - the half-lives of some of these isotopes are greater than the whole-life of the earth's crust, so to speak. That is, if you drop something radioactive into a sea floor rift - or just on the sea floor - it eventually subducts and is spewed back up in the form of a volcano some 500 million years later. I guess it depends upon which isotope is at the end of the power-generation process, and I don't know enough about this to comment, aside from saying that for some isotopes (ie some plutonium used in weapons, a different topic I know but perhaps noteworthy) the radioactive half-life is greater than 500 million years.

And that's a problem why?

Couple of reasons why not to care. Dilution and time. Sure the waste is still radioactive but it'd be so dilute as to be safer than the concrete in your house or even a banana. The more obvious reason is time.

Ever hear of the Oklo reactors? Back about 2B years ago the ratio of U325 to 238 was about 3%, enough to support NATURAL fission, just add water! The waste generated by those natural reactors is still there. Sounds bad but the fact it is still there after two billion years should give you some confidence in natures ability to contain even high level nuclear waste.

I agree I'd rather recycle the waste into fuel. Personally I support the continued development of breeder reactors. Unfortunately critics rightly point out the fuel can easily be converted to weapons. That makes the case for such reactors harder to sell to the public. Lots of other reactor designs though.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not against solar but IMO it's a VERY limited option. Yes lots of energy falls to earth from the sun. The problem is harnessing that energy efficiently. As I pointed out before it is very inconsistent as cloud covered Germany is finally realizing. The irony is they trashed their nuclear program in favor of solar. Now Germany is forced to buy power from France which generates 80% of its power from - you guessed it - our friend the atom.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 13, 7:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

TMAC54 says

If I convince others that mine is the right religion, Will I be responsible ?

I am afraid I could be duped into this kinda worship. OH GOD !

How much invested ? How much back ? What's the risk ?

TMAC54 says

If I convince others that mine is the right religion, Will I be responsible ?

I am afraid I could be duped into this kinda worship. OH GOD !

Yeah, She'll do.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 14, 9:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

thunderlips11 says

Which is odd, because at that salary, you're offering well above the 90th percentile in terms of salary for all Software Engineers.

That's a salary for a dual masters CS/EE with 8+ years of industry experience. I'd guess that is a bit above the median employee in the BOE stats. Add value for "being able to implement a trivial serialization problem -- the kind that any first-year CS student should be able to handle."

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 14, 9:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Matt.BayArea says

Basically it just seems to me like a big gamble. On the other hand, neither I nor my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchildren will be around to have to worry about it. I *do* have to deal with the effects of our current carbon-based energy economy. I hate smoggy days.

Thanks but in the 45th century your great*83 grandchildren will probably be more worried about the lead from all the cheap Chinese toys we've buried in all the landfills.

Say there's an idea! Lets bury the waste with all the millions of junked cheap Chinese toys we've imported for the past 20 years. All that lead will be more than adequate to shield against even the strongest waste for billions of years.

But in all seriousness sub-seabed disposal is likely safe enough to keep that icky nuclear waste locked away well past the 45th century, probably to the 650kth century!

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 14, 10:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Matt.BayArea says

if we store the waste, we can deal with it in a few hundred years when we're weaning ourselves off of current nuclear power technologies and utilizing something better (sustainable nuclear reactions, perhaps, or solar, or something else).

Yes but we already tried that. We spent billions of dollars to do just that. But we are not going to do that. We closed Yucca mountain without using it at all. Nobody wants to be anywhere near nuclear waste. Aside from Antarctica (another can of worms) the only place to store waste many hundreds of miles from any human settlement now or in the future is on the bottom of the ocean.

Now here's something to think about.

The Soviets used to dump huge amounts of nuclear waste, reactor parts including reactors still containing fuel and other radioactive debris directly into the oceans! They had been doing that since the 50s. They also lost several subs which are likely leaking waste and/or plutonium from the reactors, nuclear torpedoes, etc. This is on top of all the nuclear testing done by the US, the Soviets, France and others in the 40s and 50s. Those early weapons were FILTHY! Despite these horrendous environmental disasters there has been little conclusive evidence of chronic problems in sea life. There have been some problems in the White Sea from the most serious dumping (the White Sea in that area is shallow and the waste dumped VERY nasty stuff indeed) but not even enough to produce even a minor Japanese style Godzilla monster.

With all that junk already out there sub seabed disposal is looking pretty clean indeed!

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 14, 10:43am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Helloeeze says

Christianity -- FORGIVENESS, Baby!!!!!

Heck I'll forgive you too - for a price...

Indulgences anyone?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 16, 9:10am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

SiO2 says

Moving 30 minutes farther away = an extra hour commuting per day. That's quite a bit, if you figure that you're awake for 16 hrs a day, that's a noticeable percentage. There's a reason why closer-in costs more. Plus, for families with kids, and both parents work, such time constraints can become career constraints. The person who leaves at 5 every day to get the kids from day care is probably not the one getting promoted. Of course everyone makes the decision for themselves, and I can see why someone would choose to spend less and spend more time in the car - but, not for me.

Been there, done that. Sitting in the car for an extra hour really can cramp your life especially when traffic can easily push 30 minutes into 60 minutes.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 16, 9:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

So the message is save for your retirement? I did, in my Calpers 401k. Its down - a LOT! In social security - good luck seeing that in 25 years.

Seriously how are we supposed to save when all that happens is our retirements just bleed away in fees and market losses?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 19, 9:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Huntington Moneyworth III, Esq says

My prize winning Great Dane needs his anal glands squeezed daily. I will allow you to intern at no cost to me (meaning you pay for your parking on my estate) for a period of six calendar months. If Butch approves, I will consider your opportunity to apply for the position full time with a subsistence wage. There are currently only 57 applicants.

The only drawback is the testosterone gene therapy that gives his coat a brilliant sheen has given Butch a fierce reproductive drive. If he is pleased with your squeezing he will mount you. Best just to let him go to town until he exhausts himself. If he is ever displeased, you will know immediately as he will bite the shit out of you.

Squeezing the anal glands of an oversexed Great Dane and getting either mounted or attacked all for subsistence wages and no clear career benefits.

Hey it beats graduate school...

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 19, 11:17am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

FortWayne says

Open a business, best money you can ever make.

Your job for someone won't last forever. You are in your prime now, once you get older it's usually downhill from there. You'll need to save up about 6 million if you plan to retire with your current lifestyle, that kind of money isn't made with a day job.

Not everyone has the drive and energy to start a business, nor the appetite for risk.

Where do you get the $6M figure? Are you being facetious? That's a burn rate of $300k/year even if he retires at 60 and dies at 80. That's quite a lifestyle!

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 19, 11:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Malkovich says

My primary motivation comes from the fact that I am never going to get the money I am paying for rent back ($21K/yr). I also have some secondary motivations such as wanting better weather (I live in the outer richmond fog zone), and wanting to be closer to work (my office is near the Embarcadero), and hedging against inflation/rent increases.

If you are making $250k+/yr why are you worried about $21k a year in rent in SF? I understand the motivation for better weather and shorter commute but at that income $21k shouldn't hurt you much.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 20, 2:18am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

B.A.C.A.H. says

That's the problem, isn't it? We need someone else, like an employer for example, to solve our problems for us.

But imagine a world where everyone was a company of one. It wouldn't work. Any society more complex than a hunter/gatherer needs multiple people to work on the same jobs and the most efficient way to do that is with one boss and workers.

And yes just as a rancher must take care of his/her herd an employer must take care of his/her employees, at least until they are slaughtered for profit - er, I mean let go to look good to investors.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 20, 8:05am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Los Angeles Owner says

So you are on record as stating basically zero appreciation in home prices for 22 years... If you bought a house in 1997... In 2019 Home prices will be at 1997 levels. I've already made the case that im basically paying the same monthly for my home as someone that bought 15 years prior due to low interest rates. If interest rates dont rise in the next 5 years and home prices fall another 40%... Then by my calculations my home 4 bed/2bath pool home in LA could be owned for under $1000 a month.... Less than my first 1 bedroom apt i rented out in 2002 when i moved to cali... Um, and do pigs fly in your neighborhood?

Give me a catapult and yes, pigs will fly!

And yes, home prices will come down. They are doing so now and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2011 Nov 20, 8:11am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Malkovich says

Is blowing $21K on rent the norm? Heck, you tell me. I am just trying to make the best financial moves I can. Hoping to retire in ten years and have some more fun before my body starts falling apart.

It seems pretty good to me. You are bragging aren't you?

We pay $2k/mo for a 2br in San Jose, but that is with a short term lease and extra for pets.

If you are really interested in saving more dough can you move your business to a cheaper area? Tracy, Stockton, Gilroy, Hollister and Fresno are probably 1/2 the price of what you are paying. Then again you'd be living in Tracy, Stockton, Gilroy, Hollister or Fresno. Not as nice as the city.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Jan 26, 12:40pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

B.A.C.A.H. says

SiO2, if you're a hardware engineer, have your exit/backup plan ready.

Same thing if you're a code jockey.

Because even if you don't have your exit plan shovel ready, your employer does.

Right thomas?

There was a layoff where I work earlier this week. Tough situation. Lotsa households that need both paychecks for their New Math to work.

I dunno about that - I am unemployed and as such am at the EDD a lot. What I have been hearing for the past few months is that software engineers are again in high demand.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Jan 27, 3:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

jdubbs29 says

The reality is, in good neighborhoods and other good areas in the valley, prices fell about 15-20% when I was hoping they would fall 50-70%.

The economy here is solid. I'm a beneficiary but I sometimes wish it was less competitive to buy a house.

Or you may be thanking your lucky stars in 20 years if prices have stagnated and you find those who bought have lived the last 20 years paycheck to paycheck in a slowly deteriorating overpriced wooden box while you the renter had more flexibility, fewer responsibilities and paid less overall in the process. Just imagine how you'd feel having your wooden box severely damaged by a major earthquake with little to no earthquake insurance to cover the damage.

Thomas.wong.1986 has a point when he says Things around here change, and change quickly.. yes be ready when it happens.

The economy is but one factor, natural disasters another.

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 23, 3:27pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

xlr8 says

2 professionals and neither of our parents had money to put us through doctoral level degrees.

What are your professions if you don't mind me asking?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 24, 3:02pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

PockyClipsNow says

OMG we are voluntarily turning into the soviet union!

Our one hope: Ronald Reagan comes back as a zombie during zombieapololypse and fires them all?

Barring that get used to 'most rich people are government employees' becoming slowly more and more true.

Ronald Regan back as a zombie? Would anyone know the difference?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 24, 3:27pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

theoakman says

Clara says

Another reason why I think PHD is so overrated. From a totally financial point of view, you can't afford the degree. Why spend a lifetime paying for it... "Y U No smart enough to figure that out to begin with??!"

Most PhD's in the sciences are fully paid for by grants. That being said, despite all my friends in Chemistry & Chemical Engineering the past 2 years have graduated with Doctorates debt free, it wasn't worth it. No one is willing to hire them because they don't want to pay them a measly $70K and they are forced to accept entry level jobs paying below what my colleagues who went straight into industry out of undergrad at age 21 made 7 years ago.

Just curious - what did your friends make at 21 straight out of undergrad?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 24, 11:43pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Are you assuming fixed mortgage rates in your prediction? How about another blow to the economy?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 25, 1:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I have had coworkers who deliberately omitted the PhD from the resume, so that they could get hired.

So much for the value of higher education! How do they explain the gap in employment?

New Renter   ignore (11)   2012 Feb 25, 1:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

wthrfrk80 says

thunderlips11 says

Among our Gulf Allies, like Saudi Arabia, women can't even drive.

But alas, dey has de oil.

I like oil