Patrick's comments

« First    « Previous    Comments 484 - 523 of 2,879    Next »    Last »

Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 12, 9:16pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It's not zero tolerance, but I also don't want flame wars between users. So it requires some judgement: is the comment purely attacking another user? If so, that's worthy of deletion imho.

I want to stamp those out and just talk about actual issues and ideas without deleting any of those.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 12, 9:19pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

mell says
Since Politics has evolved into the biggest category, why not have 2 politics topics with 2 different moderators. One of the anons can come out of the woodwork and take the other politics topic, or justme or PCGyver. @Patrick what's your input

Let's just try this for now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 7:07am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, that sounds about right.

Maybe jail a few insults, then warn if it continues, then delete if it continues after that. Then ban for a day.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 8:55am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Gosh, seems a bit uncivil.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 7:25pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Patrick, I think we need some modifications to the "uncivil" check again. Some members are using this to "uncivil" warnings from mods. Perhaps mod comments should not be jailable IMO. Works two ways, mods cannot "lie" about their post, and warnings cannot be jailed. Food for thought.

Yes, @Goran_K I agree. People are abusing the uncivil link and comments by moderators should have the ability to control that uncivil link by user as well, and to see who marked a comment uncivil. I will implement that, but first, I will manually liberate comments that should not be in jail, and remove the ability of those users to mark things as uncivil.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 7:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It's definitely interesting.

My only regret so far is not being able to implement features faster. I will show names of who is marking comments uncivil, for example.

Working tonight on making as many functions "pure" as I can, meaning that they always give exactly the same output for the same input. Makes everything more testable and easier to reason about:

This should help speed up my development cycle.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 7:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Definitely hit a nerve with a lot of people, but that was not my intent. I'm just happy to have additional eyes looking for the comments that attack users instead of their points.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 8:23pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rpanic01 says
I think you should do away with the anons.

It does seem to be a problem, so I have blocked anonymous commenting for now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 8:27pm   ↑ like (7)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Everything is still OK for discussion, just don't attack the other users personally.

I should have imposed this rule years ago.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 8:29pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lol, I really don't get the level of vitriol. But then I am admittedly slightly above zero on the autism spectrum. Computers are comfortingly reasonable and consistent by comparison with people.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:22pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Shit, I didn't realize I was causing that kind of trouble for users.

OK, there should be auto-save of drafts every minute or so. On the list.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rpanic01 says
Hey Patrick I shot you an email about my account could you respond to it not sure if its going to your junk mail or something,

@rpanic01 I don't see it in regular mail or junk.

When did you send it?
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:27pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says
the high and mighty want the average joes on both sides to fight amongst themselves while they guide us into our new lives as serfs.

Absolutely.

We fight, and they run off with the ball.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:37pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

It definitely did devolve into a less useful site because of all the insults being flung about, and because it's mostly not about housing now.

I actually toured open houses over the weekend, and may finally buy something if I can do it with zero debt. So I'll probably be writing more about housing in the coming months.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:46pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says
I swear though PatNet wasn’t like this back in the days when thomas1986 and others were still around (for people who were around then).

I think it's because I was a Nazi about deleting flame war comments back then.

Really. Seems like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory is true.

Grateful to have moderator help in deleting all the personal attacks.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Patrick, who is deleting my comments? I can see that the comments marked as uncivil go to jail, but who is deleting my other comments, and why?

I have deleted a few that were clearly simply personal attacks, mostly from comment jail, and mostly from anon users. Don't blame Goran.

Maybe there should be a delete buffer, where things go before they disappear completely.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 12:06pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

YesYNot says
It's an interesting concept. I think it is all much more innocent than that. My take is that Patrick just wants to have some moderators, because he didn't want to have to do it himself.

Yes, that's all there is to it. All I want is to get rid of the personal attacks, and I don't have time to do it all myself.

Any political opinion, no matter how odious, it's still very welcome. I would like to debate those opinions and not simply attack the person holding them.

I'm grateful to Goran for the help.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 6:57pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Your presence here is uncivil.

I don’t usually speak for others, but I’m sure there’s a few others here that would appreciate if Patrick addressed this.

Patrick, is it possible for the forum to return to civility, so long as CiC is posting here with his Sniper alias?

It is possible.

We just have to keep blowing away all the personal attack comments. What remains will be civil.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says
I hope we can both agree that openly vicious racism is extremely hateful and the person who would use racism to hurt other people is probably a person who lacks moral character.

I agree, and I don't like openly vicious racism, but I'm not willing to delete such comments because "racism" is used in the current atmosphere as an excuse to stifle debate in the press at at universities.

At the moment, I just want to delete personal attacks on other users. A patrick.net user could be a flaming Nazi calling for the extermination of the Jews, and still I would like to debate him rather than simply shut him down.

But if the Nazi is not going to debate issues and opinions, but insists on simply insulting other users, then he's got to go.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Unless your goal is to suppress free speech, and silence any dissenting opinions and critiques. Maybe that is what Patrick is going for these days

Not at all. How many times can I say it? The rule is just don't deliberately insult the other users. Argue something other than the worthiness of the individual. That's about it.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jvolstad says
As long as they don't recruit Realtor's.

BTW, this is fine with me. Not an insult to other users. And I really don't like realtors. Very corrupt industry.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Yes, good idea. I should have "and 24 lurkers" or whatever it is.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:42am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I like Tay Tay more now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 7:40pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Necrophiliacs' victims need to break their silence!
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:24pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says
Socialist countries have a lot more corruption, because the power rests in the hands of very few individuals.

True, but it's also true that we are getting more corruption of our political system here as more power is concentrated into the hands of our oligarchs.

They can simply buy our laws with campaign donations and lobbying, and use those laws to ensure that there is no challenge to their near-monopolies.

Cash flows in, cash is used to buy lawmakers, lawmakers divide us with bullshit identity politics and quietly pass laws which ensure the cash keeps flowing to the oligarchs. Rinse and repeat. Forever.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:47pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, that's another good point. Different races have widely varying susceptibility to different diseases.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 9:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

That's definitely animal abuse, imho.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 6:21pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thanks for telling me! Will fix.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 6:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OK, fixed now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 9:14pm   ↑ like (8)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Would it be inappropriate to ask where the 16 year old's parents were when she was given the key to Stallone's hotel room?
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 7:25am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Why is it so hard for you to be civil? Discuss the topic, leave the poster alone

Yes, please. Thanks errc.

I should start a thread about the psychological mechanism that drives people to push other people's buttons. It's actually a pretty interesting phenomenon. It's probably learned on the schoolyard and carried through life.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, the author sounds like me!

researchers in the study claim the old adage of "throwing your money away on rent," doesn't hold up. That is because it assumes that the extra money a renter saves by not owning a home and not saving for a downpayment is simply spent on goods or services and not invested.

"When you assume that those monies are reinvested at a rate of return, renting, on average, wins in terms of wealth creation,"
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BTW, it's actually a fairly complex calculation dependent on many things. It's not always better to rent, nor always better to buy.

It depends on the numbers.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:11pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FP says
Of course, but it won't.

I think that's true.

The MID benefits banks, by increasing the amount of interest paid to banks. It also benefits realtors, by keeping purchase prices artificially higher than they would be, thus keeping the value of that 6% commission higher than it would be.

And about half of the public (houseowners) would lose equity right away if the MID were eliminated, because new buyers would have to pay all the interest with after tax income, meaning they could not pay quite as much interest. This means lower prices = lower equity.

So it's banks, realtors, and houseowners against young new buyers. Who is going to win that one? It's a hole we've dug ourselves into which seems impossible to escape, politically speaking.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Right, anyone could mark something as uncivil. I need to be better about liberating unfairly jailed comments.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 10:13pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper says
aren't renters paying all that interest now, but to the landlord, and not getting any tax deduction for it? That hasn't effected home prices, the rents keep going UP!

Renters don't pay interest. They pay rent.

Rents cannot go up more than salaries do. No one will lend you money to pay rent.

In the end, it just comes down to a question of numbers. You can run the numbers yourself for any property:

Just don't overestimate the appreciation.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 18, 10:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Working on all that today!
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 18, 10:42am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says
Patrick says
Working on all that today!

Your “moderator “ goron is lying again. He said everyone has a “mark as uncivil “ button. I don’t have one @Patrick

Goran did not lie. He was just unaware that I temporarily removed the uncivil link from some users because they were deliberately using it on perfectly valid comments.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 3:46pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says
Time for Patrick to disable anons ;)

I did for a while, but brought it back, because it does seem to bring in a few new users.

Soon will have anon comments going through approval by moderators first. I took some time to make most of the site's functions pure, which should help me move faster in the future.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 3:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Lol, had to look up GEOTUS. God Emperor.

The Housing Trap