Patrick's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 484 - 523 of 2,071     Next »     Last »

Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:37pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

It definitely did devolve into a less useful site because of all the insults being flung about, and because it's mostly not about housing now.

I actually toured open houses over the weekend, and may finally buy something if I can do it with zero debt. So I'll probably be writing more about housing in the coming months.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 13, 9:46pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says
I swear though PatNet wasn’t like this back in the days when thomas1986 and others were still around (for people who were around then).

I think it's because I was a Nazi about deleting flame war comments back then.

Really. Seems like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory is true.

Grateful to have moderator help in deleting all the personal attacks.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Patrick, who is deleting my comments? I can see that the comments marked as uncivil go to jail, but who is deleting my other comments, and why?

I have deleted a few that were clearly simply personal attacks, mostly from comment jail, and mostly from anon users. Don't blame Goran.

Maybe there should be a delete buffer, where things go before they disappear completely.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 12:06pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

YesYNot says
It's an interesting concept. I think it is all much more innocent than that. My take is that Patrick just wants to have some moderators, because he didn't want to have to do it himself.

Yes, that's all there is to it. All I want is to get rid of the personal attacks, and I don't have time to do it all myself.

Any political opinion, no matter how odious, it's still very welcome. I would like to debate those opinions and not simply attack the person holding them.

I'm grateful to Goran for the help.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 6:57pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Your presence here is uncivil.

I don’t usually speak for others, but I’m sure there’s a few others here that would appreciate if Patrick addressed this.

Patrick, is it possible for the forum to return to civility, so long as CiC is posting here with his Sniper alias?

It is possible.

We just have to keep blowing away all the personal attack comments. What remains will be civil.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says
I hope we can both agree that openly vicious racism is extremely hateful and the person who would use racism to hurt other people is probably a person who lacks moral character.

I agree, and I don't like openly vicious racism, but I'm not willing to delete such comments because "racism" is used in the current atmosphere as an excuse to stifle debate in the press at at universities.

At the moment, I just want to delete personal attacks on other users. A patrick.net user could be a flaming Nazi calling for the extermination of the Jews, and still I would like to debate him rather than simply shut him down.

But if the Nazi is not going to debate issues and opinions, but insists on simply insulting other users, then he's got to go.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Unless your goal is to suppress free speech, and silence any dissenting opinions and critiques. Maybe that is what Patrick is going for these days

Not at all. How many times can I say it? The rule is just don't deliberately insult the other users. Argue something other than the worthiness of the individual. That's about it.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

jvolstad says
As long as they don't recruit Realtor's.

BTW, this is fine with me. Not an insult to other users. And I really don't like realtors. Very corrupt industry.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 14, 7:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Yes, good idea. I should have "and 24 lurkers" or whatever it is.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:42am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I like Tay Tay more now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 7:40pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Necrophiliacs' victims need to break their silence!
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:24pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
Socialist countries have a lot more corruption, because the power rests in the hands of very few individuals.

True, but it's also true that we are getting more corruption of our political system here as more power is concentrated into the hands of our oligarchs.

They can simply buy our laws with campaign donations and lobbying, and use those laws to ensure that there is no challenge to their near-monopolies.

Cash flows in, cash is used to buy lawmakers, lawmakers divide us with bullshit identity politics and quietly pass laws which ensure the cash keeps flowing to the oligarchs. Rinse and repeat. Forever.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 15, 8:47pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Yes, that's another good point. Different races have widely varying susceptibility to different diseases.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 9:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

That's definitely animal abuse, imho.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 6:21pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Thanks for telling me! Will fix.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 6:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

OK, fixed now.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 16, 9:14pm   ↑ like (8)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Would it be inappropriate to ask where the 16 year old's parents were when she was given the key to Stallone's hotel room?
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 7:25am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Why is it so hard for you to be civil? Discuss the topic, leave the poster alone

Yes, please. Thanks errc.

I should start a thread about the psychological mechanism that drives people to push other people's buttons. It's actually a pretty interesting phenomenon. It's probably learned on the schoolyard and carried through life.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Yes, the author sounds like me!

researchers in the study claim the old adage of "throwing your money away on rent," doesn't hold up. That is because it assumes that the extra money a renter saves by not owning a home and not saving for a downpayment is simply spent on goods or services and not invested.

"When you assume that those monies are reinvested at a rate of return, renting, on average, wins in terms of wealth creation,"
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

BTW, it's actually a fairly complex calculation dependent on many things. It's not always better to rent, nor always better to buy.

It depends on the numbers.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:11pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

FP says
Of course, but it won't.

I think that's true.

The MID benefits banks, by increasing the amount of interest paid to banks. It also benefits realtors, by keeping purchase prices artificially higher than they would be, thus keeping the value of that 6% commission higher than it would be.

And about half of the public (houseowners) would lose equity right away if the MID were eliminated, because new buyers would have to pay all the interest with after tax income, meaning they could not pay quite as much interest. This means lower prices = lower equity.

So it's banks, realtors, and houseowners against young new buyers. Who is going to win that one? It's a hole we've dug ourselves into which seems impossible to escape, politically speaking.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 8:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Right, anyone could mark something as uncivil. I need to be better about liberating unfairly jailed comments.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 17, 10:13pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
aren't renters paying all that interest now, but to the landlord, and not getting any tax deduction for it? That hasn't effected home prices, the rents keep going UP!

Renters don't pay interest. They pay rent.

Rents cannot go up more than salaries do. No one will lend you money to pay rent.

In the end, it just comes down to a question of numbers. You can run the numbers yourself for any property:

Just don't overestimate the appreciation.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 18, 10:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Working on all that today!
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 18, 10:42am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Patrick says
Working on all that today!

Your “moderator “ goron is lying again. He said everyone has a “mark as uncivil “ button. I don’t have one @Patrick

Goran did not lie. He was just unaware that I temporarily removed the uncivil link from some users because they were deliberately using it on perfectly valid comments.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 3:46pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

mell says
Time for Patrick to disable anons ;)

I did for a while, but brought it back, because it does seem to bring in a few new users.

Soon will have anon comments going through approval by moderators first. I took some time to make most of the site's functions pure, which should help me move faster in the future.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 3:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Lol, had to look up GEOTUS. God Emperor.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 9:28pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

bob2356 says
Hawaii - 0.28 percent

Wow, that's quite surprising. I wonder why it's so low there.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 19, 9:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

That is, any gains from property appreciation have been historically offset by greater gains in the stock and bond markets.
"When considering buying and building wealth through equity appreciation versus renting and reinvesting in a portfolio of stocks and bonds, property appreciation does not change the results," said study co-author Ken Johnson, Ph.D., real estate economist at FAU's College of Business and co-developer of the Beracha, Hardin and Johnson Buy vs. Rent Index. "On average, renting and reinvesting wins in terms of wealth creation regardless of property appreciation, because property appreciation is highly correlated with gains in the traditional financial asset classes of stocks and bonds."

Interesting that this article is in a physics journal.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 8:10am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Sorry all, site was down most of last night. My fault for trying to fix things that were not broken!
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 9:46am   ↑ like (7)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Not suppressing any political incorrectness whatsoever.

It's only about being polite to the other users. Nothing else.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 12:29pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

justme says
Patrick, how do you think it would work if college campuses had an anonymous "uncivil" button and it took only one anonymous student to be "offended: to hide and then 30 days later erase from history any speech deemed offensive?

It's not just any speech, only personal attacks on individual other users.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 9:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
Patrick says
My fault for trying to fix things that were not broken!

@patrick, speaking of broken. The ability to Edit a post is broken again. This is the error that comes up.

node server says: Cannot read property 'post_title' of undefined

Fixed now. Thanks for telling me.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 9:40pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

mell says
other visitors don't have the impression that Goran dominated any threads by any means due to ego issues.

Exactly. Goran seems to me to be one of the most polite and helpful people on the site. I don't get any impression of mean-spiritedness from his comments.

I'm glad he's here and hope he continues to moderate politics.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 20, 9:42pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Why is this all of a sudden important to you?

It didn’t seem to bother you when it was Sniper/Ironman CiC on here disrupting the forum 15+ hours a day

It's not all of a sudden. It was just a growing realization that it's not possible to run a forum without moderators.

CIC did bother me, but I was trying to let anyone say anything. It was a failed experiment.

Now the only rule is to just be civil. It's not that hard.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 21, 7:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I like Asia Times too, but would say US reporting was killed more by the lack of advertising revenue than anything else. Not sure how Asia Times gets their revenue.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 21, 11:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

Going to make anon comments go through the moderator for that topic. So you won't see them until the moderator approves anon comments.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 21, 12:36pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

How can this end?
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 21, 7:13pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The moderator of the topic will be able to free comments from jail, or I can do it.
  Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 21, 9:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HowdyThere says
Way off topic, but I tried to do a 'new post' and couldn't. Is there a primer on how to post?

@HowdyThere what happens when you try to post? Should just work.

The Housing Trap