forgot password / register

reset password

#housing #investing #politics #random more»
778,448 comments by 11,477 users, 2 online now: Patrick, Strategist
new post

Strategist's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 18477 - 18516 of 18,583     Next »     Last »

Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 4:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
I've been thinking that the advertised rates of appreciation for houses are actually far lower than the press constantly reports. To prove this, I need a data set of sale prices the the same address over time. Such data used to be more available, but now I cannot find it anyway. Even Zillow seems to hide it where they used to publish it, giving only tax history, not sale price history any more.

That's what the Case Shiller does. Just use that.

The Standard & Poor's Case–Shiller Home Price Indices are repeat-sales house price indices for the United States. There are multiple Case–Shiller home price indices: A national home price index, a 20-city composite index, a 10-city composite index, and twenty individual metro area indices. These indices are calculated and kept monthly by Standard & Poor's, with data points calculated for the time period of January 1987 through the present. The indices kept by Standard and Poor are normalized to have a value of 100 in January 2000.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 4:33pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

justme says

Countries that only use socialism, with little or no capitalism, are all failures. It's as simple as that. There are zero examples showing otherwise.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 4:36pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says

Not necessarily. Vulgarity can be good natured. Consider AF. Usually vulgar, but rarely if ever uncivil.

He is a good barbarian. I like him.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 4:39pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

anon_08dee says
Don't we all know that what Donald wants the most, even more than he wants lower taxes for his friends is a few years of rampant inflation (yo know the kind where assets inflate far more than wages). SOme people didn't realize when Donald was talking about "so much winning" that he wasn't thinking about the little guy.

Trump is trying to get the economy moving again. Nothing helps the "little guy" more than a healthy economy.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 4:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

We won't be fooled again. Someone, burn down that Trojan camel.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 5:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Hey, I know how to make that pussy feel great again.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 6:35pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

curious2 says
Goran_K says
Canada’s specialist wait times are now averaging 22 weeks. Me? I can see my ENT doctor same day if I want.

I haven't seen Canada's wait times, but I know more about the British NHS. How long you wait depends on what you need. If your chief complaint is post nasal drip, then you might have to wait or go to a private clinic, where you'll get probably better results at a fraction of the cost. (From what I've seen, elective ENT surgery in the UK costs less than half what it would cost here, so it can be cheaper to fly there and get the surgery and then fly back.) If you have something obstructing your breathing and creating an emergency, an NHS hospital will take care of you the same day, better than here, and at no cost to you.

Just my meniscus surgery cost me $3,000 total for my out of pocket costs. My Aetna insurance paid most of it. This is ridiculous.
I could have gone to India or Thailand on my own and saved some money. What good is insurance if my deductible is higher than going to an Asian country for treatment?
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 6:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
@Patrick, why is this comment in uncivil jail???

This thread is just one giant trolling attempt. First author Goran_K conflates "leftism" (WTH is leftism?) with "eating without working". Then he invokes Venezuela. Well I guess if your home country is one of the worst examples of exploitative capitalism, I guess there is no choice but invoking a not very successful example of socialism to make yourself look good. Look! There exits a socialist country that has high inflation! Therefore all socialist countries are bad! In fact, any form of socialism is bad!

Seriously, the premise of this thread does not even rise to the level of junior high school debate. And we have heard it all before. There is absolutely nothing new or educational here.

This thread is a perfect illustration why Goran_K should not be #politics moderator, but @iwog very well could be. Is that a personal attack? I guess we shall see how moderator Goran_K handles that.

As much as I disagree with errc's filthy rant against Goran yesterday, (he should have been banned for a month) I have to support him on this complaint. I don't see a personal attack on this post by Justme.
Patrick, why put Justme's post in jail, and not ban Errc for a month? I see a whole new can of worms opening up here. I'm not trying to take sides here, just pointing out a problem that needs a quick solution. I'm sure everyone anticipated this problem.
Where do you draw the line? Maybe the Patnetters as a whole should decide where to draw the lines, and moderators can enforce that.
My 2 cents.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 7:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Fucking White Male says
I used to be able to get everything on Los Angeles area sales. I was particularly interested in West LA, Culver City, and Burbank as these had all been bastions of middle class living in LA with decent public schools and affordable homes until around 2002 ish. Before I ever came to Pat.net I was posting around a few local LA message boards and used that info in 2006ish to note that people were paying 3x what homes had been selling for less than 10 years prior.

Also around that time I noted that many listings had the price history scrubbed. Eventually...and I can't remember when...a Redfin realtor posted that some realtors were removing the price histories from their listings. This was astonishing to me, and actually led to arguments with other posters insisting that prices had never been where I claimed them to be. Prices in West LA had been as low as $175K-190K in the mid to late 90's for small dated homes and down into the $130k-180k range in Burbank for the same time period(...

The information is always available as public records through the county recorders office. Could computerization be the reason for lapses in previous data? Keep in mind, the most recent data is most relevant to any research project.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 7:24pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
The way I see it from my few days of being a mod, PCgyver, justme, and errr have been getting away with quite a bit already and should have more scrutiny. I didn’t ban errr even though his rant yesterday included a racist insult about my wife’s ethnicity.

It was clearly unacceptable. Errc usually provides intelligent input, wether you agree with him or not. He just happened to lose it yesterday, and even he would agree it was NOT acceptable.
I just think we need, lets call it "Universal Patnet Rules"
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 7:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
It helps that Obama isn’t able to give the “good terrorist” weapons anymore.

There are Good terrorists, Bad terrorists, and Ugly terrorists. Actually, they are all UGLY terrorists. Have you seen their faces?
As long as they are willing to kill each other, let's give them lots of weapons.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 7:36pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

anon_6331c says
Care to explain who actually defeated the main forces of ISIS? Thought not.

It wasn't Obama, was it?
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 7:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
Strategist says
Goran_K says

I just think we need, lets call it "Universal Patnet Rules"

Agreed. I’d like clarification from the big boss about personal attacks. So far I’ve been operating under the zero tolerance policy. But if people get 3-4 free shots before deletions, then I’ll adapt. But we need a guideline that everyone sees across all forums.

Yes, all moderators should go slow, take their fingers off the trigger, and let the site evolve. It's Patrick's site, let him decide on the pace of evolution.
Some will resent a moderator, and some will be OK.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 12, 8:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

justme says
By the way, insisting that it would be impolite and uncivil to point out the obvious shortcomings and misdeeds and personal qualities of one's opponents is one of the most effective tactics used by the Republican party for many many years. The timid Democratic politicians fell for the strategy and as a result kept losing for years. Hell no, I say.

Ha ha ha. Remember, both Dems and Reps need each other to slaughter. It wouldn't be a real fight if there was no one to massacre.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 2:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

From the article:
"How are they going to support the thirty or forty million people who will still be there when the oil exports dribble down? Most of the work done in the country is performed by foreign “guests.” The indigenous folk don’t even remember how to milk a camel, let alone run routine maintenance on a desalinization plant. (And what are you going to run the de-sal plant on when the oil runs down?) These are questions that must drive thoughtful Saudi royalty mad."

---------

The whole Mid East is no different. Medieval flea ridden freaks walking the streets. Useless barbarians causing death war and destruction, wherever they go.
The only country with any real brains in the region is Israel, a country with more grey matter than all the Muslims put together. I wonder how it feels for Space Men to live surrounded by barbaric Cave Men?
When the value of oil falls to zero, and that trend has already started, these violent people will spend what money they have left to kill each other. I wish victory to both sides, Sunnis and Shiites. Allah Ho Akbar.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 3:01pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

anon_fd7ee says

You sound upset, Hey You.

Strategist.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 5:51pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)     quote

So that's where Sergeant Dan is.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 5:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

HEY YOU says
I'm talking with the voices in my head.
Best conversation since I've been on patnet!

Hope you win the argument. But where the F is everyone?
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 6:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

KimJongUn says
Elaborate why CA got shafted on this one.

We get shafted every time. Just watch....they will run the numbers again and conclude there aren't any funds for good roads. Tax tax tax.
I just received a bill from the State of California for $130+ including penalties for something I have never seen before. Something to do with fire control. I'm not even sure if it's a scam from that Nigerian. The English was perfect. Maybe he took an English class.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 6:13pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

lostand confused says
Perhaps the US is building its own jihadi force?

Knowing Dan, he probably joined the Muslim Jihadis to fight the Christians, because they did something bad 1,200 years ago.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 6:17pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

What about Jazz? He must have joined the Venezuelan army to fight against the Capitalists.
Just wait till he finds out his monthly 1,000,000 bolivar check is only worth $29.00.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 6:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

KimJongUn says
Strategist says
KimJongUn says
Elaborate why CA got shafted on this one.

We get shafted every time.

The natural consequence of turning into one-party state, I guess. :(

Their pensions fall short.....They say the tax is for our own good.....we bend over, we get fucked.....the cycle repeats itself.
Welcome to California.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 7:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

anon_fc62d says
Strategist says

He's been gone a month and you're still writing about him. You must miss him.

Actually, I do miss him. He had some good points, some bad points etc etc. The nuttier someone gets, the more fun they become.
I'm sure he thought I was insane, but you know what? My wife thinks I am insane too, yet I have been sleeping with her for 30 years. And no, that does NOT mean I will ever want to sleep with Dan.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 7:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

anon_ef72f says
Strategist says
We all want some kind of a balance between uncivil posts and normal posts.

No, you(r ideas) don't. You(r ideas) only want to limit insults to the people you agree with. Stop (your ideas from) being such a lying liar.

How will my ideas limit insults to the people I agree with? How? I'm not even a moderator. Same rules would obviously apply to all, regardless of insults or opinions.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 7:22pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

WookieMan says
Strategist says
#misc @patrick We all want some kind of a balance between uncivil posts and normal posts.
Suppose, the moderator, instead of making the post disappear, redirects it to a thread just for "insults and uncivil" posts. All responses to insults, which are inevitable, would simply end up in the "insults and uncivil" threads. This way, everyone gets what they want from the site, and no one gets discouraged from posting. If someone does not like the "insults and uncivil" thread, they never have to click it on. Those who want to read or respond, will have there say too.
A couple of refinements will be needed, but if the concept makes sense to you, lets work on it.

I don't think your idea is bad. The problem lies in the #politics topic itself. There's going to be a flaw with ANYONE on this site currently moderating that topic the current way or with your suggestion. I know we're past th...

Thanks for the input Wookieman. All opinions are important on this topic, because we all want this very interesting and fun site to thrive.
Lets collect all ideas, criticisms, opinions, desires, wants, etc etc and turn it into a "think tank" for everyone's benefit.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 13, 8:33pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
Computers are comfortingly reasonable and consistent by comparison with people.

I knew it, the robotics are taking over. Good thing is, my burger will be just the way I want it.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:13am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
Now can someone tell me if socialism is so great, and according to Bernie Sanders the American Dream is more apt to be realized in Venezuela, why do Venezuelan grocery stores look like this?

FortWayne says
but it's total equality now, everyone is a millionnaire... just like liberals want.

Quigley says
If everyone is a millionaire, then a million dollars isn’t worth much at all. Just ask the people of Zimbabwe how that works.

Isn't socialism awesome? Everyone is rich...everyone is equal....everyone is happy.
And here we are, stuck in America. We need to escape.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:15am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Sniper says

Very true. Go read any article on any news or financial sites that allow comments. You'll see the comments immediately dive into tribal battles, the actual info in the article is rarely discussed. Meanwhile, DC continues it's rape and pillage of all Americans, and no one is paying attention.

And it will never change. Why fight the tide? Just go with it.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:25am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Goran_K says
These days, the American dream is more apt to be realized in South America, in places such as Ecuador, Venezuela and Argentina, where incomes are actually more equal today than they are in the land of Horatio Alger. Who's the banana republic now?

Do you agree or disagree with his statement?

Bernie is an idiot. According to him, if everyone makes Zero, you are better off because you are equal.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:44am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

PeopleUnited says
What can we say about what it means to follow the example of Mohammed?

You follow the example of Mohammad and you end up with ISIS. Even they said they were just following Mohammad's example.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
Jazz Music made a great point yesterday, that it’s likely that people like Goran and CiC are females

Jazz? LOL. He must have also said Dan is a macho man.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:50am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
Strategist says
errc says

Jazz? LOL. He must have also said Dan is a macho man.

Is this civil?

Yes, it is civil.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 8:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
You should mark his uncivil comment as such, just as you did mine

There is no comparison to what you said, and what I said. It's been beyond apples and oranges.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:37am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
Strategist says
errc says
You should mark his uncivil comment as such, just as you did mine

How do you figure?

It’s either civil or uncivil. Very simple

One was a vicious and vulgar personal attack. The other was just poking fun at someone.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Strategist says
One was a vicious and vulgar personal attack.

Goran could easily have responded in kind, but did not. That takes a lot of class.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 2:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Heraclitusstudent says

#future

Cool stuff. It's coming. No one can stop it's development.
Lets get one and use it to target "Fat little Rocketman"
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:02pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Patrick says
I honestly wish I could have Hitler and Mohammed on here. They would probably have a lot of interesting points. I think they'd get along, too.

I would love to have Mohammad here, because I would love to slaughter him.
Hitler too, but clearly Mohammad has done more harm to mankind than Hitler.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:06pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says
How much do you want to train someone to jam a bayonet through a raghead's face?

Dont\'t think you would need much training. Just offer a $50.00 reward, and you would have a whole industry spring up.
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:20pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (2)     quote

jazz_music says
anon_62240 says
it's all irrelevant; the high and mighty want the average joes on both sides to fight amongst themselves while they guide us into our new lives as serfs.

You all seem to be in general agreement with this notion.

This is Panet, not the mental ward.

jazz_music says
The whole game, our loss of republic, was laid out in detail recently right here on patrick.net and it didn't get much notice. There's even various proposed solutions to regain our republic.

He he he he he he. OK...How do we get back the republic we never lost?
Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 14, 9:26pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Heraclitusstudent says
Strategist says
Lets get one and use it to target "Fat little Rocketman"

It may start with rocketman but where does it stop?
When China or Russia have it, they wouldn't do it to us, right?
They wouldn't kill half the population of this planet, just because they can, right?
Right?

Actually, I trust the Chinese and Russians not to, because we could do the same to them, and we are back to MAD.
I say we quickly develop this technology and show them who is the boss, before they do.

users   about   suggestions   source code   contact
topics   best comments   comment jail   old posts by year
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home