Boehner stopped clapping this Bill is doomed.

By Done!   Follow   Thu, 8 Sep 2011, 4:41pm   817 views   7 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Somewhere between Electric trains, and Obama believing we can have economic growth with out exposing our children to mercury poisoning. (though that was a crappy choice of words considering the Liberal Federal mandate for hazmat light bulbs.) Boehner stopped clapping and just sat there with a scowl, and lots or eye rolling.

I can't wait until K-Tel releases this on vinyl, it was Obama's greatest hits. He went on vacation to give us a recap of why he sucks. It was every thing that his committees worked on with a few friendly lone Republicans acting on their own, in the spirit of Bipartisanship. But has been refused time and time again. But none of that was GOP fodder.

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

1   5:23pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

O.B.A.M.A

2. ¥

Follow
    Befriend
    35 threads
    5,700 comments
    Bellingham, WA

2   5:38pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

it's amazing how far this nation has to fall, still.

My mom is a pre-boomer so she may pass on before things get too bad.

It didn't have to be this way, but the system is really too far gone now.

The system is unable to face up to the mistakes it has made, ~1993-now.

3. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

3   5:51pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bob says

it's amazing how far this nation has to fall, still.

What's more amazing is that compared to the depression things are not nearly as bad. You want to talk bad? How about people riding the rails from town to town looking for food? That's what it was like in the depression. People were so desperate they would work all day chopping down trees and paving roads for the government for a hot meal and a bed.

The truth is that Americans today don't know what hard times are and even if they came they'd be too lazy to do anything about it. Instead they'll just sit there and bitch and complain about everything except what they could do to improve themselves and their lives. People like my grandparents knew what hard times were. People today? Not a chance.

4. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

4   6:01pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You know what I mean.

5. ¥

Follow
    Befriend
    35 threads
    5,700 comments
    Bellingham, WA

5   6:26pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

What's more amazing is that compared to the depression things are not nearly as bad.

The response of 1930-32 didn't have the same scale as the 2009-2010 intervention.

Quite the opposite in fact

The cackling conservatives on this board either understand that and are entirely intellectually dishonest or are too stupid to even figure that much out.

In the 1930s, spending was ramped up 20-30% during the first few years but the Feds were a much smaller part of the economy so it really didn't do much.

People like my grandparents knew what hard times were. People today? Not a chance.

Times don't have to be hard now, we are fantastically more productive now than 80 years ago. This is a constructed crisis, allowed to grow by being collectively stupid for far too long.

6. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    159 threads
    5,332 comments

6   7:07pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bob says

The cackling conservatives on this board either understand that and are entirely intellectually dishonest or are too stupid to even figure that much out.

That horse of yours is tad bit too high there.

7. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

7   7:14pm Thu 8 Sep 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Tenouncetrout says

Somewhere between Electric trains, and Obama believing we can have economic growth with out exposing our children to mercury poisoning

I believe you're simplifying what was mean by that statement. He was speaking about the push lately from the right to reduce regulations. As we speak there is an intense effort from Republicans to strip away the powers of the EPA and other regulatory agencies. They do so because most Americans don't understand what these agencies do. If they did I imagine the attitudes amongst conservatives would be different.

Some of the many things they do includes the monitoring of public water works, air quality, particulate air percentages, the identification and various regulations on toxic substances and products known to cause illnesses such as cancer. It also serves to protect the public against radioactive waste as well as the identification of superfund sites. There are a ton of these sites in California alone.

Think of all the things that were at one time used in everyday living that turned out to be hazardous. Asbestos. PCBS. Dioxins. Mercury. Lead. Radium. and so on. One of the main reasons these products are no longer used is because regulatory agencies found them to be dangerous. In some cases the companies that used these items were not aware that these things were dangerous until extensive government sponsored research proved them to be. In most cases companies voluntarily stopped using those things. So in many cases its not that companies used things they knew to be dangerous. Most companies are good citizens and will make right choices for the sake of their employees. But not always.

One of the leading causes of cancer is the exposure to environmental contamination. That includes naturally occurring as well as man-made. An awful lot of it is from man-made sources. Many of these will be in the environment for a very, very long time- years after they have been banned. Substances like Mercury, asbestos, and PCBs bio-accumulate in the body. The EPA and the NIOSH have set standards that regulates the usage and the maximum daily exposure to contaminants in the workplace. They are indeed regulations but they are absolutely necessary.

I think Republicans have over-simplified the argument towards regulations. The logic is that cutting regulations will surely cut costs for business and thus mean more hiring and so on. They are trying to suggest that regulations are a hindrance. Again- they do so because most American don't understand what regulations are all about- that it isn't just about saving baby seals and woodland owls. Its about keeping the public safe from potentially dangerous substances in their everyday environment.

I take this very seriously because this is something that affects everybody- both conservatives and liberals. I for one am very glad there are people and agencies who constantly seek ways to make our lives safer and also examine the countless chemicals in our everyday lives.

Done! is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 81 milliseconds to create.