Gold Destroyed!!

By John Bailo   Follow   Wed, 14 Dec 2011, 1:33pm   3,858 views   10 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

It couldn't happen.

It wouldn't happen.

Guess what...It Happen!!

The gold bugs are throwing in the towel

"As a result, contrarians detect a very strong wall of worry forming in the gold market, one which could very well be the springboard for bullion rallying into new all-time high territory. "

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-gold-bugs-are-throwing-in-the-towel-2011-12-14?link=MW_story_popular

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    995 threads
    12,074 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

1   3:16pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

So, how does one most effectively short gold?

2. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

2   3:37pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

So, how does one most effectively short gold?

well, if you are bearish, you can buy long puts on GLD. Which means that when GLD goes down (GLD is a ETF tracking gold price), your put value goes up. if you are extremely bearish, you can do an iwog :)
    write call options while buying put options.

Since options are not for everyone, there are other ways to play this too. I think GLL (2x daily inverse) or DGZ (1x monthly inverse). But it is tricky with inverse ETF's; they are very good for hedge fund managers, not so much for average investors -- who can't afford to get in and out of the market very frequently.

3. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    167 threads
    3,888 comments
    Premium

3   7:34pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

This article is actually arguing for a gold rally, by virtue of contrarian investment ideas:

We haven’t seen any such seasonal strength this year, needless to say. But gold’s seasonal tendencies are yet more evidence pointing in the same direction as contrarian analysis: Gold is due for a strong rally.

Personally, I think Gold has had a fantastic run, but I wouldn't say it's the early 80s all over again. There lack of trust in financial institutions and government seems to be running very high these days.

That being said a correction into the $1300-1400s wouldn't surprise me, but we could just as easily see a run up to $1800 and beyond, particularly come February after the Holiday Cheer wears off...

4. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

4   7:40pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

Personally, I think Gold has had a fantastic run, but I wouldn't say it's the early 80s all over again. There lack of trust in financial institutions and government seems to be running very high these days.

completely agree.

we are far away from the manic parabola phase.

although you never know what the future state of monetary system could be; given that the only solution for foolish politicians is print, print, print.

See this: http://tradewithdave.com/?p=7173

And then there's FOFOA's inverted waterfall theory: http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2009/12/gold-ultimate-un-bubble.html

I think it's wise to save in gold, you just have to be careful about entry/exit --as with any asset.

5. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    167 threads
    3,888 comments
    Premium

5   8:01pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

uomo_senza_nome says

I think it's wise to save in gold, you just have to be careful about entry/exit --as with any asset.

Nice links. Thanks Spaghetti Western Man.

I particularly enjoyed the FOFOA bit about Gold being an un-bubble.

6. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

6   9:10pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  7. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

7   10:09pm Wed 14 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

I particularly enjoyed the FOFOA bit about Gold being an un-bubble.

If you haven’t read FOFOA, then you haven’t been into “the matrix” of gold :)

His posts on hyperinflation are the best I've ever read.

8. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,793 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

8   9:57am Thu 15 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

No bottom on gold until $1000 or March 2012.

Gold was a bubble, and I think it was only the extreme turmoil of the Euro that caused it to hold on this long.

9. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    152 threads
    5,223 comments

9   11:27am Thu 15 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

No bottom on gold until $1000 or March 2012.

Gold was a bubble, and I think it was only the extreme turmoil of the Euro that caused it to hold on this long.

Are you going to be shorting it? You did well recently with it I remember.

10. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,793 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

10   11:38pm Thu 15 Dec 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Other than writing calls and letting them expire, I have all the big money on silver short positions that I took in September before the big crash.

Gold and silver will move together so as gold crashes, silver will follow.

John Bailo is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 64 milliseconds to create.