Ideas on how to use less energy (Advertisement)

How to tell pricing history of a property that has been delisted?

By Malkovich   Follow   Wed, 11 Jan 2012, 9:21am   1,088 views   5 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I see more and more properties that have been delisted multiple times.

There is an asterisk where the prices should be. (I primarily use Red Fin to research listings)

Anyone know of how to find out the pricing history? Is it cached on a web page somewhere? Can a used house salesman look this info up?

Thanks,
Malkovich

Viewing Comments 1-5 of 5     Last »     See most liked comments

1. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    314 threads
    8,636 comments

1   9:23am Wed 11 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Title registry records. Most are online these days and some interfaces are better designed than others. Worth knowing how to use the ones in the counties of interest.

2. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    30 threads
    602 comments
    Denver, CO

2   9:43am Wed 11 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Zillow shows a pretty extensive price history that stays around after a house has sold, and I'm pretty sure it stays there if a house is delisted.

I have had problems with accuracy for current listings, however.

3. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

3   10:35am Wed 11 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I believe that Patrick's data service has a price history that is not subject to the whims of real estate agents, but I think he does his data scraping from craigslist so the house must have been listed there at one time.

4. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    173 threads
    1,693 comments
    Emeryville, CA

4   10:46am Wed 11 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I was curious about this too. It seems like Zillow (at least on an Idevice) has usually chewed up the allotted number of fields to display pricing history with a lot of on-market, off-market, price-changey kind of stuff. The conspiracy minded would think that it was an effort by the industry to deny consumers the information they desire!

It seems like Redfin is pretty good, at least on iPhone.

(As an aside, I do see a lot of properties hitting pre-2000 levels!)

5. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,615 threads
    6,306 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

5   11:06am Wed 11 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

leoj707 says

I believe that Patrick's data service has a price history that is not subject to the whims of real estate agents, but I think he does his data scraping from craigslist so the house must have been listed there at one time.

Yes, I have the Craigslist price history for most property in the US, as part of my data service: http://patrick.net/housing/worth.html

I wanted to track price and rent on all other services too, but didn't because their Terms of Use and robots.txt generally forbid it. Craigslist is more liberal.

Malkovich is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 69 milliseconds to create.