Debt Limit for Dummies

By EastCoastBubbleBoy   Follow   Sun, 15 Jan 2012, 9:09am   455 views   2 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Loved this. Strip out all the extra zeros, and you get a better handle on the mess we're in.

Viewing Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Nomograph

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    104 threads
    2,848 comments

1   3:35pm Sun 15 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EastCoastBubbleBoy says

Strip out all the extra zeros, and you get a better handle on the mess we're in.

Not really.

People assume that we owe the debt entirely to somebody else, when in fact the lion's share of the national debt we owe to ourselves.

2. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    245 threads
    4,991 comments
    Premium

2   7:42pm Sun 15 Jan 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I notice we didn't get a list of all the assets that the guy had.

I mean, it doesn't matter if you borrow $140k and only make $22k a year, when you have millions of dollars in assets.

Think of the value of federal land alone. Parks, Forests, Wilderness, and also Office Buildings, Bases, etc. Easily in the trillions.

Then think of the theoretically unlimited power to tax all the private property and income.

Also, the conversation implied all the money is wasted on lattes and trips to Australia. The government doesn't waste all the money, it spends on Education, Research, Infrastructure, etc. that can grow future revenues, often in areas that private investors are unwilling to develop. See: The Internet/DARPA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Sam has recouped far more revenue in income tax and corporate taxes on internet-based companies and their employees (not to mention telecom taxes, etc.) than they spent to develop the infrastructure behind it.

Wonder if there is any info on it.

EastCoastBubbleBoy is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 27 milliseconds to create.