« previous   misc   next »

Delays in website today?

By Patrick   Follow   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 1:57am PST   704 views   6 comments   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Anyone else notice some long delays in getting pages from patrick.net today, or am I just imagining it?

Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »

TPB   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 2:00am PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 1

No I'm not having any problems. I've never had a problem. I figured you were just being prissy over milliseconds, when you mentioned string manipulation resource issues.

Patrick   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 2:05am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 2

Good to hear that.

I tried turning down "swappiness" yesterday with sysctl vm.swappiness=0 which should in theory discourage the system from swapping out processes.

Then I just turned off swap altogether with swapoff -a as another experiment.

My system monitors didn't show the home page getting any slower, but sometimes getting the home page took many seconds while, say, the NY Times loaded fast. So it was spooking me.

uomo_senza_nome   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 5:01am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 3

I've noticed once in a while that the "Best of Patrick.net" link doesn't display any comments at all. I don't think this has anything to do with speed, may be you were fixing stuff and I caught in the middle.

But speed-wise, no issues.

Patrick   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 5:02am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

Yup, I broke the Best Of for a while by mistake.

Glad to hear you think the site speed is OK.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on usability, features, or what have you.

TPB   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 5:31am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

uomo_senza_nome says

I've noticed once in a while that the "Best of Patrick.net" link doesn't display any comments at all.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, figured the same thing.

Dan8267   befriend   ignore   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 6:11am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

I've notice delays on other days, usually right before a change, but not today.

Email (Required, will not be visible)

Username (Just pick a name if you're new)

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about