Delays in website today?

By Patrick   Follow   Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 9:57am   563 views   6 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Anyone else notice some long delays in getting pages from patrick.net today, or am I just imagining it?

Viewing Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »     See most liked comments

1. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

1   10:00am Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

No I'm not having any problems. I've never had a problem. I figured you were just being prissy over milliseconds, when you mentioned string manipulation resource issues.

2. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,652 threads
    6,325 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

2   10:05am Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Good to hear that.

I tried turning down "swappiness" yesterday with sysctl vm.swappiness=0 which should in theory discourage the system from swapping out processes.

Then I just turned off swap altogether with swapoff -a as another experiment.

My system monitors didn't show the home page getting any slower, but sometimes getting the home page took many seconds while, say, the NY Times loaded fast. So it was spooking me.

3. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

3   1:01pm Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I've noticed once in a while that the "Best of Patrick.net" link doesn't display any comments at all. I don't think this has anything to do with speed, may be you were fixing stuff and I caught in the middle.

But speed-wise, no issues.

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,652 threads
    6,325 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

4   1:02pm Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yup, I broke the Best Of for a while by mistake.

Glad to hear you think the site speed is OK.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on usability, features, or what have you.

5. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

5   1:31pm Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

uomo_senza_nome says

I've noticed once in a while that the "Best of Patrick.net" link doesn't display any comments at all.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, figured the same thing.

6. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,000 threads
    12,188 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

6   2:11pm Wed 22 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I've notice delays on other days, usually right before a change, but not today.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 64 milliseconds to create.