Patrick's Favorite Quotes

By Patrick   Follow   Thu, 23 Feb 2012, 11:43am   2,952 views   22 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. -- Anatole France

The rich are different from you and me -- they have more money.

The rich are paid to be rich.

Republicans think the rich are not rich enough, and the poor are not poor enough.

Every newspaper has a Business section. None of them have a Labor section. -Joe Bageant.

The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism -- ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power.... Among us today a concentration of private power without equal in history is growing. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

A Fortune 500 CEO, a Tea Partier and a union worker are sitting around a table. A dozen cookies arrive on a plate. The CEO takes 11 of them and says to the Tea Partier, "Pssst! That union guy is trying to steal your cookie!"

Conservatism is a political philosophy; the farce currently performing under that marquee is an inferiority complex in political philosophy drag.
-Julian Sanchez

America is a nation of poor. Every other nation has folk traditions of men who were poor but extremely wise and virtuous, and therefore more estimable than anyone with power and gold. No such tales are told by the American poor. They mock themselves and glorify their betters. The meanest eating or drinking establishment, owned by a man who is himself poor, is very likely to have a sign on its wall asking this cruel question: “If you’re so smart, why ain’t you rich?” Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money.

When the great lord passes by on his high horse, the humble peasant bows low -- and silently farts.

Advertising is the rich asking for more money.

Everyone in America must get dollars to pay taxes. Only the Federal Reserve can create dollars. So we all must work for the Federal Reserve.

Mick Russom says: Big companies suck. They destroy innovation and the human soul and all they do is give us federal reserve notes in exchange for our lives. We are dying, one minute at a time, and spending it within the walls of cube farms, away from kids and family, earning monopoly money they can hedge against but we the sheeple cannot. Now get back to work.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.

Buying a lottery ticket does not significantly change you chances of winning the lottery.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement.

Les is mor.

There's a difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

"Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money and control credit, and with a flick of a pen they will create enough to buy it back." -Sir Josiah Stamp, former President, Bank of England

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

A penny saved is 2 pennies earned, if you consider taxes.

It's not who you know, it's whom you know.

Yiddish is the only language with the inflammatory and accusatory tenses.

Men want women. Women want men to want them.
Women fear men. Men fear women will laugh at them.

I have two wonderful children. And two out of five isn't bad!

Please take your seat -- and put it in a chair.

Never pick a fight with the police. They are not in the habit of losing.

But ossifer, I thought you said you didn't want to come back here again tonight.

I'm not as think as you stoned I am.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

If a lawyer is involved, it's too late.

You should not criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.

What is unspoken is hard to hear, but it's all that really matters.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

You will have a fair trial, after which you will be shot.

Nothing so wonderfully concentrates the mind as the prospect of one's imminent demise.

Lots of people think death is the end. Buddhists think that's too optimistic.

It was the least I could do, so that's what I did.

"Shut up", he explained.

Most people think they look at the evidence and make a decision, but they don't. Actually, they make a decision they like and then look for evidence that supports it.

"You shouldn't believe most of the quotes you read on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." -- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." -- Terry Pratchett in Nation

When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit! -- George Carlin

"And the great owners, who must lose their land in an upheaval, the great owners with access to history, with eyes to read history and to know the great fact: when property accumulates in too few hands it is taken away. And that companion fact: when a majority of the people are hungry and cold they will take by force what they need. And the little screaming fact that sounds through all history: repression works only to strengthen and knit the repressed. The great owners ignored the three cries of history. The land fell into fewer hands, the number of dispossessed increased, and every effort of the great owners was directed at repression." -- John Steinbeck

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger." -- Nazi Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"If only it were all so simple. If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?" --Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Are the voices in my head bothering you?

Viewing Comments 1-22 of 22     Last »     See most liked comments

1. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

1   12:12pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

"I forbid you from seeing any data that doesn't exist. "

I actually had to tell someone that in a phone meeting yesterday.
    About a table that was updated from another table supposedly, by a process I have no control over. The issue keeps coming back to me, it's a table, the internal db people are supposed to keep updated from dimension tables in their datamart.

2. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

2   5:14pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

A penny saved is 2 pennies earned, if you consider taxes.

And 0 if you consider inflation.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   5:20pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I'm a fan of Carl Sagan's quotes.

My favorite quote:
    It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
    Carl Sagan

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
    Carl Sagan

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value.
    Carl Sagan

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
    Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
    Carl Sagan

I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students.
    Carl Sagan

I can find in my undergraduate classes, bright students who do not know that the stars rise and set at night, or even that the Sun is a star.
    Carl Sagan

If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?
    Carl Sagan

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
    Carl Sagan

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
    Carl Sagan

Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.
    Carl Sagan

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.
    Carl Sagan

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
    Carl Sagan

The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.
    Carl Sagan

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.
    Carl Sagan

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
    Carl Sagan

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.
    Carl Sagan

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    Carl Sagan

We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology.
    Carl Sagan

When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it.
    Carl Sagan

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
    Carl Sagan

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    ― Carl Sagan

The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.
    ― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.
    ― Carl Sagan

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,354 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

4   5:38pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.

Had to chuckle at that one, though I'm not sure it worked out very well. I think it just tended to wipe out the more literate and intellectual Catholics.

Jewish rabbis tended to have more children than other Jews from what I understand, and it's possible this benefitted them genetically.

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

5   8:58pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.

This one is also really good, and applies so well to our culture.

Our society is based on the electromagnetic force. Everything from television to radio to computers to the Internet to smart phones to the microwave oven operate on the electromagnetic force. Yet most of our countrymen do not have any idea what the electromagnetic force is or how it works. Worst yet, they do not seem to care. To them, our society must be run by magic, and the devices they use everyday are inexplicable mysteries.

I cannot imagine living in a world in which I didn't understand most of the things I interacted with. How could anyone be so lacking in curiosity? How could anyone be so comfortable having no idea why everything they use on a daily basis works? It simply makes no sense to me.

6. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

6   9:03pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

That reminds me. A few weeks ago I overheard a conversation between two people who work where I do, but not in IT. They were discussing what containers could be microwaves and what couldn't. They were baffled why metal didn't cause electrical sparks in an hot-air oven but did in the microwave even when the hot-air oven is set hotter. They actually thought that microwave ovens heat the surrounding air like a conventional oven.

I was tempted to explain that microwaves cause dipolar molecules like water to oscillate, and that causes food to heat up, and that the electric sparks they saw are the result of electric currents being inducted in an electrically conductive material, the metal. But then I realized, they wouldn't even understand. So I kept quite and ate my lunch.

7. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    473 threads
    7,892 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

7   10:06pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I was tempted to explain that microwaves cause dipolar molecules like water to oscillate, and that causes food to heat up, and that the electric sparks they saw are the result of electric currents being inducted in an electrically conductive material, the metal.

I call bullshit on this one. Microwaves prove the theory of PFM. It explains the internet, space travel, digital cameras, and where one of every pair of my socks disappears to in the dryer.

PFM = Pure Fucking Magic.

You're welcome.

8. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

8   10:43pm Thu 23 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

elliemae says

and where one of every pair of my socks disappears to in the dryer.

Don't blame the dryer. It's the washer, but no one counts socks when they are wet.

9. Honest Abe

Follow
    Befriend (41)
    108 threads
    1,839 comments

9   2:57am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick, how about this one: "We are all self-made men, but only the successful one's admit it".

10. Honest Abe

Follow
    Befriend (41)
    108 threads
    1,839 comments

10   6:40am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Men are not pigs, pigs are sensitive, caring animals.

11. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    473 threads
    7,892 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

11   6:42am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Don't blame the dryer. It's the washer, but no one counts socks when they are wet.

So simple, I never knew! This explains why there are old washing machines riddled with bullets by the side of the road, yet no dryers. No one is actually holding the dryers responsible, though - might they be clever enough to have planted that thought in the first place?

12. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,354 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

12   8:24am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Honest Abe says

Patrick, how about this one: "We are all self-made men, but only the successful one's admit it".

But we're not all self-made men.

Some people are born to wealth, and didn't do anything for it.

America has the lowest social mobility of any industrialized country. Your hard work counts for less here than it does anywhere else, because the rich have an exceptionally low tax rate on unearned income, and so they accumulate an ever-larger share of everything without working, by taking it from your work.

And yet the poor blame themselves (and are blamed by everyone else) much more in America.

13. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

13   8:35am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

Time has a way of demoting the unworthy.

14. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,354 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

14   11:11am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

TPB says

Not in America!

If you're born rich in America, you are almost certainly going to remain rich your whole life, without working, and without paying even the tax rate that the middle class pays.

And who does the actual work to pay for all of your luxuries? Everyone else.

15. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

15   11:12am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

TPB says

Patrick says

William E Baughb

Yeah, but it takes 100 years or so.

16. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

16   11:19am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Oh I don't know, there were a lot Land barons, just a a few years ago. That were only in their position, because of retarded policy enabling them to achieve success they didn't deserve. After those supports were removed they fall flat on their Asses.
    Where's all of the hot shot know nothing economists?
    But in the context of inherited success.
    Every rich Daddy's boy I ever knew, the party ended when the Folks died. Then you have someone like Steve Forbes, sure his family name helped him get to where he is today. But he's formidable in his own right now.

17. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,354 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

17   11:32am Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I'd bet every one of them that was born rich enough not to work is still rich enough not to need to work.

Our tax rate on work (max 35%) is much higher than our tax rate on living off the work of other people (cap gains and dividends 15%).

Or actually 14% if you're Mitt Romney.

18. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   12:24pm Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

Or actually 14% if you're Mitt Romney.

Damn, that magic underwear must actually work.

19. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

19   1:06pm Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

I'd bet every one of them that was born rich enough not to work is still rich enough not to need to work.

My best friend used to rend from a trust fund baby. She owned the house he rented, a big house in Bay view, an apartment building and a few other things. Her Mom died in 2001, and she was died penniless in 2007. Crack is whacked.

The Realtor I mention from time to time, that I had to dig up out of retirement. Was worth over ten million dollars, when I did flooring work for him back in the early 80's and early 90's. When he was helping me find a house, I was doing him a bigger favor than he was doing me. He even tried to squeeze me for more money the day of the closing. Told me he wasn't signing off, if I didn't pay him an extra 1200, that he was expecting, but the debt absolution for the second lean ate into the agents commission.

Rich kids have no advantage over someone like M.C. Hammer or other countless millionaires that have no other merits to keep the wealth cranking in.
    If Mom and Dad croaks and leaves Jr. with Millions and he then manages to add to that wealth, rather than squander it. Then in effect he made it. Making/Getting a million dollars is easy, having it around when you really need it is the hard part.

20. michaelsch

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    586 comments
    South Pasadena, CA

20   3:11pm Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

elliemae says

Dan8267 says
    So simple, I never knew!

Dan8267 says

When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it.
    Carl Sagan

I made once an experiment that proves it's neither. I carefully counted socks in the laundry before putting them in the washer, got an even number. Counted them while moving them from the washer to the dryer, still even number. Counted them when moving them from the dryer to a basket - still even. When I brought them home from the laundry room I counted them again. I got an ODD number of socks.

I have yet to repeat an experiment, but for now I assume we deal with Quantum Mechanics rules. Apparently we can't know exact location of a sock at a given time. (experimentally proven many times while looking for the second sock of a pair). At the same time my experiment proves that Dark Matter does not change qaunts of socks, since it was all washed down by the washer without changing the quants.

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

21   4:47pm Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

22. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

22   6:47pm Fri 24 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

michaelsch says

At the same time my experiment proves that Dark Matter does not change qaunts of socks, since it was all washed down by the washer without changing the quants.

Perhaps front load driers facing the same direction to each other running at the same time, out of balance, but in frequency with each other, creates a particle in the box effect. When two different wavefunctions correspond to the same energy, the condition is known as degeneracy.

In this case, the energy level 5h2/8mL2 is said to be doubly degenerate. Note that degeneracy occurs when there is high symmetry in the system, i.e. when the plane the particle is confined to is square, but not when the sides are of unequal length.

This agitates the particles in a random single sock and sends it through time using the Schrödinger equation, into the adjacent dryer.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 120 milliseconds to create.