Euros for dollars

By Patrick   Follow   Sat, 25 Feb 2012, 9:14am   1,114 views   10 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Anyone have some euros they want to trade for dollars?

I'm going to Europe in the summer and don't want to pay exchange fees.

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

1   10:26am Sat 25 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Just bring your ATM card. You'll get the good rate.

2. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,438 comments

2   3:04pm Sat 25 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

You are assuming the exchange rates will be stable until then. You could win or lose.

Unsolicited and probably unnecessary advice follows:

Capital One visa/mc used to charge 0% foreign use fee, eating the 1% fee. Pretty good deal if you really want to save on fees. Does your bank have Euro branches? If so you might be able to take out from a branch ATM (euro ATM's almost all use 4 digit numeric pins, get your's changed if it isn't) for just the normal transaction fee. Bankrate.com lists international transaction fees for credit cards. Check it out. Check with your bank about ALL fees on international transactions. Lately lots of banks have loaded up with obscure international fees that you really have to hunt down deep in the fine print to find.

Don't let anyone do DCC (direct currency conversion). Many merchants offer to convert the price to dollars before the charge. The fees are pretty high for this and you won't see them until you get your credit card bill.

It's a really good idea to let your atm bank and credit card bank know you will be traveling overseas. Otherwise you might find yourself frozen because of unusual spending patterns. Really a pain in the ass at midnight checking into a hotel.

3. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,658 threads
    6,336 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

3   6:24pm Sat 25 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Good advice!

It's those obscure international fees that bother me. I know for a fact the banks are complete assholes about all of this, having been in Europe last year with my ATM card and credit cards.

I'd rather carry cash, or mail it to a relative ahead of my arrival.

So I'm still interested in any paper Euros people have! Where can I find a supply of Europeans travelling to the US?

4. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    379 threads
    10,461 comments

4   7:35pm Sat 25 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

You wont get the good rate.

Your bank will fuck you.

You used to get the good rate.

Now the bank settles the transaction under the exchange rate during that day it occurred that benefits the bank. You get get fucked.

I know an old geek who left the sector because all of the technical projects really centered around the question of 'how hard can we fuck the customer and how much can we make it bleed before we are arrested'

Die bankster fucks, Die!

5. drBu

Follow
    Befriend
    1 comments

5   6:35pm Sun 26 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Patrick -

I use Schwab bank and get eurocash by ATM. Schwab is reasonable with exchange rate and this is probably the easiest and cheapest way how to get cash there.

6. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,658 threads
    6,336 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

6   8:01pm Mon 27 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Thanks! I will check out Schwab bank. Didn't even know I could get an ATM card from them.

7. American in Japan

Follow
    Befriend (28)
    149 threads
    1,412 comments

7   4:54am Tue 28 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Good advice. Which credit cards charge that overseas use fee?

8. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    159 threads
    5,332 comments

8   1:33pm Tue 28 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

As you know you won't be able to use your card everywhere, much of Europe is cash only.

And just some advice, avoid middle aged women who walk around carrying rosemary. You'll see them, they'll try to give you the plant if they think you are a tourist. They are pickpockets, my wife's aunt lost her wallet to a group of these.

Best of luck on your trip.

9. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    36 threads
    3,913 comments

9   3:16pm Tue 28 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

bob2356 says

Capital One visa/mc used to charge 0% foreign use fee, eating the 1% fee.

With Capital One you do have to pay the 1% fee imposed by VISA/MC. I *think* they still do not charge anything beyond that, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is a web resource for cards with "no fee" (may still have VISA/MC 1% fee?)

http://www.smartcreditchoices.com/educationcenter/article54.php

Ameritrade has great VISA debit cards with only 1% FX cost. They work well in ATMs and Ameritrade will eat the ATM fee(*). Has worked well for me. I think Vanguard has something similar, worth looking into.

(*) There may be some catch about a minimum account size, I dunno.

10. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,438 comments

10   8:31pm Tue 28 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

justme says

With Capital One you do have to pay the 1% fee imposed by VISA/MC. I *think* they still do not charge anything beyond that, but I'm not 100% sure.

They actually used to eat the 1% last time I had Capital One in 2007, they may not do that any more.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 63 milliseconds to create.