Long-Term Unemployed Man: It's Absolutely Retarded That I Keep Getting Checks

By Patrick   Follow   Sun, 26 Feb 2012, 3:44pm   359 views   2 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.businessinsider.com/long-term-unemployed-man-its-absolutely-retarded-that-i-keep-getting-checks-2012-2

Viewing Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »     See most liked comments

1. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

1   4:44pm Sun 26 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I wondering if Monster and other Job boards keep records of on job seekers, that potential employers and recruiters can edit and view, much like a credit report. Does anyone here know what employee seekers see, on potential candidates other than their name and resume?

That being said, there's a lot of stupidity in the recruitment process. I just don't even play along. I cut them off the minute they start. Like what did I make at my last position, this has never been relevant. The employer is looking for someone that can perform a given task, then there's a price they are willing to pay for that talent. Then there are opportunities that are more than just a position that can be quantified by the salary alone, or benefits. Such as experience in a new technology or industry a foot in if you will. Then there's the culture of the company I could have been working for, could have out weighed the lack of wages, that I normally wouldn't work for. These are usually a mom and pop operation, that the motive for working and making concessions, are more based on the relationship you had with the owner of the business. There is no reason to have this kind of relationship with a large corporation or a fortune 500 traded company. As there is no owner to build a relationship with.

One may take time off to decompress from the last project, and they may be at the point in their career, when they need to go back to the wood shed to brush up on new standards and technologies, languages and syntax for implementing them. That three months, if you have the reserves to pay your bills for three months, will pay back ten fold if you use your time wisely. First you get to decompress, then you get current with new technology. It is a must less you end up like a pascal programmer in a windows world, like in the 90's. When I started in the mid 90's. The IT directors(as CIO, CTO were called then) were from old archaic languages. They were versed on VB or Java, but they really didn't apply them selves. They were dinosaurs, guys like that were in their position because they started out at the company when they were using the technology they knew then. When these folks lost that job, they were dinosaurs and never worked in IT again. Not with out major changes.

I think the worst thing you can do, is let the ministry of human resources know that you were out of work in the first place. Once you take unemployment then you are a marked man in Finance and IT.

My trick is use my down time to create a case study using the new technologies you need to brush up on. i.e. Nerd Diner, Northwind, Pubs, ect. Develop your project, then list that as the company you developed the project, and list the technology you used.

2. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    827 threads
    7,065 comments
    Baltimore, MD

2   9:21am Mon 27 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

It's absolutely retarded that he didn't seriously look for work for so long. When I got my layoff notice from Wells Fargo I was frantically looking for another job, and ended up quitting for a better job before my time there ran out. That's how you do it.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 69 milliseconds to create.