More Than 1 in 7 Use Food Stamps in U.S. - Real Time Economics - WSJ

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Fri, 2 Mar 2012, 9:39pm   7,644 views   50 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/03/02/more-than-1-in-7-use-food-stamps-in-u-s/

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    185 threads
    1,905 comments
    Emeryville, CA

1   4:15pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

One other question is, how do they control for minced brains and anuses that fall on the factory floor

Those ingredients are placed on a vise-like apparatus and squeezed until a paste is expressed. Those contents are then forced into sheaths, usually intestines. Finally, the assembled links are put into packages and eventually become what's known as "Teapublicans".

Hope this helps!

2. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    471 threads
    7,833 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

2   10:41am Sat 3 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

The article tpb quoted says

Food stamp rolls exploded during the downturn, which began in late 2007. Even after the recession came to its official end in June 2009, families continued to tap into food assistance as unemployment remained high and those lucky enough to find jobs were often met with lower wages.

States also made changes to make it easier for residents to tap into the program, such as waiving requirements that limited the value of assets food stamp recipients could own.

Yes, I can see how it would be this administration's fault that the worst economic recession of our lifetime began in 2007 after a conservative republican administration was in office for eight long, long years.

Might I remind you that this administration took office in January 2009? And that the recession was a long time coming?

The food stamp program has been in effect since 1939. President Obama wasn't even born then. Blaming his administration is a lot easier than accepting that the social problem of poverty, homelessness and the inability to afford food belongs to all of us.

Yawn.

3. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    471 threads
    7,833 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

3   11:15pm Sun 18 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

Dan8267 says

Ha! You admit that Obama wasn't even born! You played right into TPB's hands. That's why we need to see the original birth certificate and placenta. For all we know, Obama was hatched, not born.

Great - now all I have to do is share the secret handshake and I'm out of the club.

Damn it.

4. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    243 threads
    4,979 comments
    Premium

4   11:00am Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

Actually, the "Good Stuff" in meat is lacking: Omega-3s. Feedlot Beef and Chicken and Farmed Fish all have less of the "Good Stuff" and more of the "Bad Stuff" than "free-range" and "Wild Caught" food.

We can have lots of tasty beef, just get rid of subsidized commodity agriculture (Corn, Soy, Wheat). Ranches will replace them: Grassland was meant for bovines to roam anyway, it's the best use of the land absent hefty subsidies.

Feedlot cows have to have hoses forced down their throat. Seriously. Problem is, Ruminate Animals need to ruminate. The high starch corn diet turns their stomachs into gassy slimy mess; they don't get the roughage they would from their natural diet - grass and weeds, not just grass seed. Cows just aren't built to consume grass seed exclusively.

Also, the suboptimal conditions, the hormones, the antibiotics, etc. causes unbelievable stress on the animal, which makes cornfed beef taste bland as hell. It also makes the cows fart a whole lot more than they should, allegedly contributing to global warming. Finally, cows pooping in a field help the long term fertility of the grasslands... they naturally spread small amounts of manure over a wide range. The huge mass of shit produced in a feedlot can't generally be composted efficiently, and ends up running into river systems.

Stop subsidizing the suburbs (which forces out Market Gardens that provide fresh fruits and vegetables near to the city) and stop subsidizing commodity Ag. The reason we spend so much on non-solutions like Ethanol is the Commodity Ag industry desperately trying to find profitable outputs for their massive overproduction of grass seed.

Free the Cows! :)

5. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,754 comments

5   11:49am Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

TPB says

This is more about food prices, and this administrations failure to address the commodity market and over speculation. This is a story about this administration, that works double time on figuring out how to keep people out of the work force and dependent on "Benefits".

Are sun spots, tornado's, and hurricanes obama's fault also?

6. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    471 threads
    7,833 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

6   6:04pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

CL says

Those ingredients are placed on a vise-like apparatus and squeezed until a paste is expressed. Those contents are then forced into sheaths, usually intestines. Finally, the assembled links are put into packages and eventually become what's known as "Teapublicans".

Someone needs to tell Patrick that we need an "I really, truly, absolutely with all my heart & soul LOVE that post!"

Have you seen the bumperstickers that say, "Don't renig..." about Obama? I hope he thinks they're as funny as I do. Offensive, inappropriate and did I mention offensive? But it made me laugh.

7. TechGromit

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    86 threads
    979 comments
    45 male
    Egg Harbor City, NJ

7   2:22pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I just started Government Assistance myself, but not food stamps.

8. Danaseb

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    147 comments
    San Jose, CA

8   2:57am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

This chart is a farce, when you consider the cost real food in most areas its just as expensive as ever anywhere. This chart just maps out our reliance of low grade processed shit that our great great grandparents would hesitate to feed to their livestock.

Besides i find a unquietly American disease to justify current deficiencies with past ones. Saying things are just fine and could not stand improvement as they are, in regards to any facet in our life, is actively standing in the way of human progress.

Look at any repugnicunt's speech as of recently, it always devolved down into "What Americans really need is to get off the state bottle and pry dry grass from the ground to stave off starvation, just like my fictional granddaddy in the depression." No thats what North Koreans get to do and is just what you want for most of us in this country.

9. DaveM_Renter

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    40 comments
    San Clemente, CA

9   9:18am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Try to buy some healthy food, not genetically modified or hormone saturated crap - and then tell me if you still think it got cheaper!

10. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    830 threads
    7,080 comments
    Baltimore, MD

10   12:10pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

It's entirely legal to bash gophers over the head and roast them up to perfection. It would be totally pointless because of the glut of free food available, but it's certainly legal.

Try doing that to some of the excess geese around here and we'll see how that works out.

11. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    243 threads
    4,979 comments
    Premium

11   4:57pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

CL says

Oh, Man. LOL

12. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,052 threads
    13,244 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

12   2:33am Sat 24 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

gromitmpl says

George Bush a conservative republican? Seriously?

Bush is a social conservative, i.e., bigot. Bush is not a fiscal conservative. Few Republicans today are.

13. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

13   11:25pm Sat 24 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Where I live everyone is on the take one way or another. Your neighborhood may vary.
    My friend built a legal granny unit and his tenant recently got sec. 8 to pay her rent for her. She got laid off, she's about 50 and got financial aid to UCSC. Her father recently died, so she got an inheritance. She told me she got FOOD stamps because they only considered her income not her net worth. I was astounded and she said so was she.
    Meanwhile my friend raised her rent because Sec. 8 pays it. He also has two kids in college for free at UC and they are lurching through, 23 and 21 years old. He reports no income from his business since it's mostly cash and paypal. He loves doing his taxes so he gets the "earned income credit" meaning he is paid by US about $4000 CASH by Uncle Sam. To his credit, he is not on food stamps.
    My other friend's girlfriend is on food stamps. She works part time under the table.
    Another girl I know ran away to Santa Cruz when she was about 17. She has never worked. She got mixed up in Mexicans and drugs, which resulted in her being put into the system. She is now on SSI because she said she is "bipolar". Funny, I know others who work and have lives but have this same diagnosis.
    Another woman who was my friend's ex girlfriend is on everything: she has SSI, and lives in a nice apartment in Capitola for "seniors" since she is over 50. She was diagnosed somehow as a nut because she flipped out when her younger, rich and successful boyfriend dumped her.
    Her older brother is unemployed and is going to get SSI for his "bad back" because he is unable to find another job. He evidently hurt his back from his previous desk job.
    Of course, I won't go into all of my illegal alien friends who use their ITIN and file for the earned income credit and therefore get all of their withholding returned to them, so they pay no income tax.
    The giant welfare state is growing and will consume our economy if it isn't cut off.

14. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,052 threads
    13,244 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

14   8:10pm Sun 25 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

gromitmpl says

Slow down hoss. You are really rewriting history there. What a load of crock. I don't know what history books you are reading but the democratic party and liberalism in particular is the ideological forfather of most of those ills you mention. Yes - the deep democratic south of old. You need to speak to the former democrat Senator, grand KKK dragon wizard, Robert Bird.

1. Everything I said in the list above is factually accurate. I never rewrite history. In fact, that's what I find so repugnant about Wikipedia.

2. I listed the beliefs of "social conservatives", not Democrats or Republicans. And yes, that is what social conservatives have believed in during the past 200+ years.

3. True, the Democratic Party used to be the party of social conservatives and the Republican Party used to be the party of social liberals. But that all changed in the 1960s with LBJ, Nixon, and Goldwater. Today, the opposite is true.

4. Yes, the Democrats used to be evil when they were made up of social conservatives. Strom Thurmond, that evil bigot who filibustered the Civil Rights Act in the 1950s, was a Democrat when he did so. He became a Republican when LBJ saw that racism was a dead end politically and started passing civil rights legislation. At that time, all the social conservatives fled the Democratic Party and enter the Republican ranks. The two parties switched roles and have remained that way since.

gromitmpl says

I would say nice try but your so far off base in lala land that its not even a good attempt at tracing the lineage of conservatism.

Social conservatism has its roots in slavery and religious intolerance. It has always been xenophobic and that is it's defining characteristic. It is tribal.

Other types of conservatism are not in any way related to social conservatism. Fiscal conservatives are typically rich godless assholes who sniff cocaine off of a hooker's ass. They aren't social conservatives at all. The strange marriage between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives is simply due to the fiscal conservatives giving dumb, poor bigots a god podium in exchange for being able to siphon all the wealth in society and keeping the masses powerless.

Political conservatives, i.e. small government people, are always social liberals almost by definition. They believe in minimal government which means no anti-sex laws, no anti-gay laws, no anti-sodomy laws, no race laws, no government intrusion into the bedroom of consenting adults.

gromitmpl says

I think really your just trying to bring up the homosexual issue. Equating being black with being a homosexual. Un freaking believable!!!!!

I don't know what you mean by "equating being black with being a homosexual", but I will state unequivocally that the trials and injustices that homosexuals have had to face in this country paralleled those that African Americans have faced quite well, especially in the matters of interracial and gay marriage.

In any case, homosexuals should be equal under law to heterosexuals with absolutely no exceptions. To deny this is to disagree with the very founding principle of our country: "all men are created equal". It is Unamerican to deny the equality of homosexuals.

gromitmpl says

By the way - did you know that throughout history homosexual sex has been considered a crime by just about every civilized (and uncivilized) nation or other political entity. As a historical matter it is only the tiniest minority of people who have ever argued that sexual interaction between two people of the same sex is "OK" let alone "good".

Most civilizations in history have outlawed homosexuality, therefore homosexuality should be outlawed. This is the logical fallacy known as Appeal to Common Practice.

Most civilizations in history have considered women to be the property of their husbands. Does that mean we should do so?

Most civilizations in history have allowed slavery. Does that mean we should do so?

Most civilizations in history have taxed the masses greatly. Does that mean we should do so?

Most civilizations in history have only allowed the state-sponsored religion. Does that mean we should do so?

Most civilizations in history have been polytheistic. Does that mean we should do so?

Do you see where your argument has gone astray?

Can you honestly make an argument that homosexuality should be banned or that homosexuality is harmful to society? I've certainly have shown time and again how xenophobia and the use of state force to sponsor a single religion is bad.

gromitmpl says

If you want to argue the homosexual sex is a good the burden is on you my friend.

I have never argued that homosexual sex is good, or that heterosexual sex is good, or that sex is good. Nor am I interested in arguing that. That is a subjective matter.

I have argued that the state has no business or right to interfere in the sexual or romantic relationships of consenting adults. And that argument is based on the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is also protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution which grants us freedom of religion, which includes the freedom not to have religious dogma forced upon us.

Furthermore, it is protected by the equal protection clause of the Fourteen Amendment, which prohibits states from denying any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. In other words, the laws of a state must treat an individual in the same manner as others in similar conditions and circumstances.

Finally, I argue that no person has the right to use force, including the force of law, to in any way to force his own arbitrary opinions onto another person. The law should do one and only one thing: protect rights. Any law that does anything other than protecting rights is a bad law.

15. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,052 threads
    13,244 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

15   4:15pm Mon 26 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

gromitmpl says

Twilight zone time!

Is this your way of refuting these facts?

16. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,921 comments
    Davis, CA

16   2:01pm Tue 27 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

gromitmpl says

Conservatives believe in those natural law principles that are the foundation of our country.

Another poster termed them "regressives". I agree, "conservative" is a very poor label as they are "conservative" of historic practice only very selectively. They believe in strict interpretation of Constitution and Founders circa 1780's, oh except when it means Patriot Act and unlimited military funds, then let's forget it. This is always bizarre to me, as Founders were against large standing armies. Founders were also hostile to corporations after their negative experiences with the East India Company, while modern conservatives bend themselves into pretzels to turn this place into a corporatocracy.

Enough! You no longer get to use that word.

How about I call myself a Neo-Neo-Con. I'd like to turn back the clock only to the 1990's, when the biggest kerfluffle we could muster was a semen stain on an intern's dress.

17. tdeloco

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    11 threads
    218 comments
    San Jose, CA

17   3:30pm Sun 18 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

If we still had soup kitchens instead of food stamps, we'd be seeing very long lines.

18. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,052 threads
    13,244 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   8:37pm Sun 18 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

elliemae says

President Obama wasn't even born then.

Ha! You admit that Obama wasn't even born! You played right into TPB's hands. That's why we need to see the original birth certificate and placenta. For all we know, Obama was hatched, not born.

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,052 threads
    13,244 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

19   8:40pm Sun 18 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

The number of recipients in the food stamp program, formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), rose to 46.5 million, or 15% of the population in December.

On a serious note, it's ridiculous that 15% of the American population are on food stamps, especially since food is cheap in this country compared to what our great-grandparents spent 100 years ago.

If 15% are on food stamps, how do they afford rent/mortgages, which are so much higher?

20. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    830 threads
    7,080 comments
    Baltimore, MD

20   6:27am Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

TPB says

This is more about food prices, and this administrations failure to address the commodity market and over speculation. This is a story about this administration, that works double time on figuring out how to keep people out of the work force and dependent on "Benefits".

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 149 milliseconds to create.