1. rootvg

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    1 threads
    814 comments
    Danville, CA
    Premium

1   1:39pm Fri 16 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

There are plenty of honest real estate listings.

They just aren't in parts of the country that have plastic fantastic, bubble economies that are funded by people from Asia, getting off airplanes with suitcases full of money.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/920-Brook-Rd_Wadsworth_OH_44281_M47236-86987

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3131-Rainbow-Ln_Richfield_OH_44286_M35682-91781?ex=OH521896797

This one surprised me. That's a fortune in that part of the country, which tells me someone up there is making money, probably the doctors and probate lawyers. It also tells me the economy is starting to get seriously out of whack and we need a change in monetary policy. If I see it, others will see it as well.

2. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

2   1:53pm Fri 16 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

rootvg says

This one surprised me. That's a fortune in that part of the country

Of course the name of the town IS "Richfield." :)

3. rootvg

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    1 threads
    814 comments
    Danville, CA
    Premium

3   1:59pm Fri 16 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It's out in the boonies between Akron and Cleveland.

You can buy a nice house there in the high twos. A friend of mine bought a fixer there for forty grand in the mid eighties (built in 1929, all brick not just the front) and rebuilt it from the inside out. It's now worth ~$300K...and his ex-wife ended up with it.

I'd buy that house in a second.

4. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

4   2:50pm Fri 16 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Rust Belt is great...if you can find a good job ;-)

Where I live now (Corning-Elmira, NY) you can get a decent place for just over 100k. NY income taxes are high, but it's better than shelling out thousands per month in mortgage interest.

RE here is the complete opposite of CA. Rents have been driven up by the natural gas boom just south of the border in Pennsylvana. My one bedroom apt. is $750. Cheap by Bay Area standards, but expensive for here. For a mortgage payment of $750/month I could actually buy a decent house with a 20 year mortgage.

The main reason I don't is relative lack of job security. There are only a few major employers here, and if one of them (including mine) were to have a big round of layoffs, I might not be able to sell w/o taking a major loss. Heck the RE market here probably tracks Corning Inc's (ticker GLW) stock price closely.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 83 milliseconds to create.