Human Genome shows Christianity is False

By freak80   Follow   Mon, 19 Mar 2012, 7:32am   2,268 views   22 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The human genome shows that there was no Adam and Eve:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/evangelicals-question-the-existence-of-adam-and-eve

Of course, biology showed Christianity was false back in 1859. It's just that my parents didn't get the memo.

Viewing Comments 1-22 of 22     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,651 threads
    6,325 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

1   5:49pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

It's pretty easy to show that the torah/bible/koran must be literally false, but hard to come up with some replacement that people will accept.

Buddhism does a pretty good job though, IMHO. No beliefs required!

Or you could go for the allegorical interpretation of the bible. That's viable in a logical sense.

2. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

2   6:42pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

God's Word is not wrong. Next.

3. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    194 threads
    7,087 comments

3   7:53pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What I get from that is that there are some in the academic theological schools of Evangelical Christianity who would like their programs to be considered competitive with the theological schools of other Christians faiths, who at that academic level see most of the scriptures as symbolic or allegorical rather than literally true.

In other words, in the religious academic world, they are seeking legitimacy. It's a step in the right direction.

Bap33 says

God's Word is not wrong

Maybe the people disputing Adam and Eve are hearing God's word.

4. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

4   8:25pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Could be. I agree with your points. I think LOTS of science is driven by the need for money and/or glory. Not any different than me at my job, I guess.

I use simple logic for this issue. You came from your mom's egg and your dad's sperm. They came from their moms' eggs and dads' sperm. At 80 generations back we had lots of kissing cusins. At 5,000 B.C. we were all cousins. At about XXXXX B.C. we are a couple living in the same 100 acre plot called Eden. There is nothing to argue beyond that.

5. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

5   10:27pm Mon 19 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Bap33 says

I think LOTS of science is driven by the need for money and/or glory.

That's a ridiculously naive viewpoint of science. If that were the case, then we won't make any progress. At the heart of science lies the joy in discovering the truth. You're not going to get it by pursuing money or glory. it is the process of scientific discovery that's the joy in and of itself .

Bap33 says

You came from your mom's egg and your dad's sperm. They came from their moms' eggs and dads' sperm. At 80 generations back we had lots of kissing cusins. At 5,000 B.C. we were all cousins. At about XXXXX B.C. we are a couple living in the same 100 acre plot called Eden. There is nothing to argue beyond that.

LOL The fornication just stops there? What about before Eden?

Bap33 says

I use simple logic for this issue.

Your simple logic is EPIC FAIL as it does not answer my question above.

6. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

6   5:35am Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Bap,

Science doesn't exactly pay well. You don't go into science for the money, that's for sure.

I don't know what you mean by "God's Word." Do you mean the Bible?

1)Geology shows that there was no global flood.
    2)Biology says it would be impossible to fit all land-dwelling animals on Noah's ark. And two does not make a breeding pair.
    3)Genetics (see original post) shows there was no Adam and Eve. There was no original paradise that Jesus can restore. Death is NOT the result of sin, but has existed as long as life has existed. St. Paul's "As in Adam, so in Christ" has been shown to be totally false. So much for St. Paul's supposed divine infallible inspiration.
    4)I've been on several airline flights. I have yet to see Jesus up in the clouds sitting at the Right Hand of God. Astronomers haven't seen this either.

Biblical Christianity has been shown to be false. I was once a Biblical Christian (I was raised that way) but I deconverted when I learned it was false.

It really sucks to be raised to believe something that turns out to be bullshit. Deconverting was a very painful process for me. It's very hard to go from believing that you were created by God for a purpose to believing that you're "dust in the wind." But unfortunately, that's reality.

7. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

7   8:48am Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

the stroy says plainly that these guys were worried about how others reacted to their work ... both sides of the issue ... and that's what I referred to in my point. They do it for glory (recognition ... Nobel Prize ,... whatever) and/or they do it for money (grants, book sales, jobs at colleges, ect). I am not faulting the scientists for being human. I can't imagine you critical thinkers are Pollyanna enough to not think it possible too. Are you?

You may chose to not understand basic animal husbandry. That is your choice. I, on the other hand, have no doubts that each and every human on earth today is a product of breeding humans and that each of those humans came from breeding humans and that continues back in time to a point where there was only a pair of breeding humans that carried ALL of the possible DNA variables that are found today. And that original pair of humans, along with every other animal kindom original pair, was created by God in the adult male and female versions. You are willing to believe in magical "mutations" that require humans to be ALOT older than they are, in your efforts to avoid God, and I am not. Call me ignorant, I'm cool with that.

8. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

8   9:24am Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'm not trying to avoid God. I want to believe in God.

Maybe Jesus really is God and did rise from the dead. But the Adam and Eve account is clearly wrong (at least according to genetics). Paul is also wrong when he says "as in Adam...so in Christ."

So maybe 80% of Christianity is true, but the part about restoring an original "paradise lost" isn't.

9. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

9   4:56pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I agree. I agree with you more than ever before -- ever.
    I should not have assumed that avoiding God was in play here, and that honest questioning could cause a person to have issue. I was wrong.

The Sumarian texts are not fairy tales. They are real historical references. In my opinion. Moses' books are just historical references to accounts that pre-dated written communication. In my opinion.

As for the flood, every ancient people has a flood account. And asteroids. And aliens. And they knew poop stunk and put it away from the eating area.

10. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

10   10:01pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

1)Geology shows that there was no global flood.

You mean the flooding of the Black Sea..Also, You do realize that Central California was at one time flooded by the Pacific Ocean.

"While some geologists claim it as fact that the sequence of events described did occur,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaflood#The_Caspian_and_Black_Seas_.28around_16.2C000_years_ago.29

11. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

11   10:02pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

2)Biology says it would be impossible to fit all land-dwelling animals on Noah's ark. And two does not make a breeding pair.

See prior post .. native to the Black Sea Area.

12. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

12   10:06pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

4)I've been on several airline flights. I have yet to see Jesus up in the clouds sitting at the Right Hand of God. Astronomers haven't seen this either.

The others who visted space and moon, have another opinion...

13. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

13   10:19pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

3)Genetics (see original post) shows there was no Adam and Eve. There was no original paradise that Jesus can restore. Death is NOT the result of sin, but has existed as long as life has existed. St. Paul's "As in Adam, so in Christ" has been shown to be totally false. So much for St. Paul's supposed divine infallible inspiration.

We didnt have all the answers back in the 1500 bc or 1500 AD, nor do we have all the answers today.. but we are getting there.

14. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

14   11:15pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Bap33 says

. I can't imagine you critical thinkers are Pollyanna enough to not think it possible too. Are you?

While what you say may be possible, you can't make a sweeping generalization for all fields of science. That's my point.

Bap33 says

And that original pair of humans, along with every other animal kindom original pair, was created by God in the adult male and female versions

ROTFL.

Bap33 says

You are willing to believe in magical "mutations"

Here's the evidence for mutations, but I don't expect you to seriously peruse it because you have already assumed that it is magic.

Bap33 says

require humans to be ALOT older than they are, in your efforts to avoid God, and I am not.

God is nothing more than an expression or a product of human weakness - Albert Einstein.

Bap33 says

Call me ignorant, I'm cool with that.

No doubt.

15. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

15   11:45pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Christianity is not necessarily believing in any mythology or things written in a old section of the Bible.
    However, some people who claim to follow the philosophy of Jesus also seem to like the old myths and things that of course have nothing to do with him.
    The original followers of the philosophy of Jesus were of course all Jews and they did not believe he was divine but simply a human. They were as "Christian" as anyone else, but the arguments became severe and the people who liked to believe in myths and miracles seemed to take control.
    There have been many fierce fights over the whole subject, leading to the Reformation in Europe and many dead.
    Jesus was spiritual and believed in indivitual human rights and individual human dignity, which is an accepted idea now but it was quite radical during his lifetime.
    I don't think Jesus cared about or bothered thinking about the old stories because they are myths that had some message or other, but weren't his message.
    His message would be summarized by the Sermon on the Mount.

16. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

16   12:29am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomas.wong1986 says

The others who visted space and moon, have another opinion...

Are you suggesting that the Apollo 8 astronauts really saw Jesus and God just because they read a Bible passage in space???

17. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

17   12:37am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Clambo,

That's a popular opinion about Jesus. But that opinion is not supported by the evidence. If you actually read the Gospels, there's no way to conclude that Jesus was just a wise philosopher or Oprah wannabe.

See "Christianity and Liberalism" by J. Gresham Machen if you're still not convinced.

18. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

18   12:46am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

Are you suggesting that the Apollo 8 astronauts really saw Jesus and God just because they read a Bible passage in space???

Your not asking why did they read it to begin with?..
    BTW, did you catch the last part of it ?

19. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

19   12:49am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The part about some atheist lady suing them? Yeah I thought that was pretty silly on her part. "Oh, the horror of reading a Bible passage in space!"

20. thomas.wong1986

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    4,424 comments

20   1:25am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

Yeah I thought that was pretty silly on her part.

And how is this thread any different ?
    Pretty Silly dont you think!

21. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

21   2:48am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomas.wong1986 says

And how is this thread any different ?
    Pretty Silly dont you think!

I'm not suing anyone. I'm just saying that science makes it pretty clear there was no Adam and Eve.

That doesn't mean that Jesus didn't exist and rise from the dead. But it does mean St. Paul's argument in Romans 5:12 is wrong.

22. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

22   7:26am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wthrfrk80 says

I'm just saying that science makes it pretty clear there was no Adam and Eve.

And Science or the Scientist that read the tea leaves have NEVER been wrong.

Oh Brudder!

I don't know what's worse, the Billy Graham types, or the academic assholes that make a career out of harassing them.

freak80 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 123 milliseconds to create.