Tape Back Ups, etc

By CL   Follow   Tue, 20 Mar 2012, 2:24pm   1,905 views   14 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What are you using for your back up solution? If you use media, where do you store it so as to protect it from theft, fire and water (and the occasional shaker, if you're in the Bay Area)?

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,651 threads
    6,323 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

1   4:13pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I used to back up to CDs, but now Patrick.net has grown beyond the limit of a single CD, so I just use a set of 4GB keychain fobs. I rotate them so each new backup overwrites the oldest one, and carry a copy of the latest one in my pocket!

Of course at some point I'll pass 4GB, but that will probably take a while, and then I'll just buy bigger ones.

When I was doing CDs I'd leave a backup CD at various relatives houses when I visited. So the old CDs are scattered and I don't even know where they all are anymore.

2. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    179 threads
    1,802 comments
    Emeryville, CA

2   5:31pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

That doesn't sound very secure! ;)

I'm wondering if anyone does any clustering or replicating either. Or a storage vault or a safe for the cassettes?

I'm guessing you don't!

3. msilenus

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    8 threads
    345 comments

3   7:19pm Tue 20 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I use Backblaze.

4. EightBall

Follow
    Befriend
    12 threads
    495 comments

4   7:02am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

I'm wondering if anyone does any clustering or replicating either. Or a storage vault or a safe for the cassettes?

Are you talking personal or at work? I'm assuming you are talking about a business as I'm not aware of too many consumer-grade clustering solutions... At work we have toyed with the idea of a replicated D2D solution but for 10+ terabytes it is too much coin - especially with the cost of tape storage being insanely cheap.

5. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    179 threads
    1,802 comments
    Emeryville, CA

5   11:11am Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yeppers, work. That's essentially what I was wondering. I've always priced out D2D stuff, but with any depth in your rotation it grows to multi-terabytes quickly, especially if you want faster disks for the destination.

I'm intrigued by the nature of a Double-Take type application though, and I figured a bunch of you goons seem techno-savvy, so I thought you'd weigh in!

6. EightBall

Follow
    Befriend
    12 threads
    495 comments

6   12:49pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

I've always priced out D2D stuff, but with any depth in your rotation it grows to multi-terabytes quickly, especially if you want faster disks for the destination.

Data Domain and Symantec PureDisk (I think it is symantec...) "help" quite a bit if you have a lot of duplicate data to keep the size down but if you are churning quite a bit or have a lot of compressed data (i.e. images) you run out of luck. I do quite a bit of D2D2T to squeeze down the backup windows so the "D2T" part can run 24/7 with production impact. Of course, if you want to eliminate tape (don't know how you can do this with multi-year retention requirements for various things) you have to buy two of everything and replicate it.

7. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    179 threads
    1,802 comments
    Emeryville, CA

7   4:50pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Thanks! I guess the latest idea is still D2D2T, with stand-by replicated servers for mission-critical stuff.

I'll check into the Symantec PureDisk stuff.

I assume you're on LTO for TBU?

8. humbleEngr

Follow
    Befriend
    8 comments

8   5:59pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

freenas for personal backups. I plan to eventually let it rsync with another freenas to have offsite backups. I'd recommend backblaze.com if you have no idea what i just said.

9. jvolstad

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    1,090 threads
    1,390 comments
    San Antonio, TX
    jvolstad's website

9   6:52pm Wed 21 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I have a 750GB external drive that I do full weekly backups to. I do daily backups using a secure online backup service I get as a Comcast user.

10. EightBall

Follow
    Befriend
    12 threads
    495 comments

10   8:11am Thu 22 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

I assume you're on LTO for TBU?

48 slot dual head LTO4 FC attached. LTO5 came out a few months after I picked this one up but that just made the LTO4 media tank in price. I am able (for now) to keep about six weeks of on-array snapshots at both the primary and DR site so while it is a belt-and-suspenders approach to keep all of this stuff around I can't be fired for not trying ;)

11. joshuatrio

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    752 comments

11   8:13am Thu 22 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Floppy.

12. omgbacon

Follow
    Befriend
    82 comments

12   5:22pm Thu 22 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

At work all employee systems are backed up with CrashPlan. Not a bad solution as a cloud solution goes. Backups are 384-bit encrypted on disk. It's running constantly so it's great for systems that may be only connected during the work day (laptops). You can buy backup service from them at $6/month for unlimited computers and storage. Runs on mac, win, and linux.

Pluses: It's offsite, encrypted, redundant, and in realtime.
    Minuses: It's not free, it's off-site so your upload speed could be an issue, and it's in the cloud.

You can also use their client for free and use it to back up to local media or to other computers that are running the client. For free you get 128-bit encryption on disk and daily runs (not real time).

Plusses: it's free, it can go off-site, it can be redundant
    Minuses: it requires more maintenance, it's only 128-bit encryption, it's not real-time.

I use it for free at home for backups from my desktop to my linux box. Eventually I'll get around to backing up the linux box. This is where the benefit of paying for a service that runs mostly automatically comes in handy.

13. ATK

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    29 comments
    ATK's website

13   2:48pm Fri 23 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I use external hard drives and software that does a backup file-to-file copy anything modified. This is so the backup is quick #1, and #2 you have an exact copy on your backup drive... remember to spot check your backup to make sure that the files are there... this is the software that I use: http://www.atksolutions.com/ezbackup/ezbackup.html

14. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    179 threads
    1,802 comments
    Emeryville, CA

14   3:25pm Fri 23 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

joshuatrio says

Floppy.

What size? :)

Thanks guys!

CL is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 94 milliseconds to create.