Where is the Tea Party?

By iwog   Follow   Mon, 2 Apr 2012, 8:25am   1,145 views   15 comments
In Lafayette CA 94549   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I used to attend their rallies in Pleasanton. They were a wonderful cornucopia of ignorance, hypernationalism, and paranoia. (everyone was talking about the liberal 'plants' who were there to make them look bad) I always had fun and took lots of pictures.

Today I scan the news feed for "Tea Party" and find:

Petty squabbling: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/20220402tea_party_brew-haha_grassrootsmovement_seesfactions_form/srvc=home&position=also

Tax evasion: http://www.marionstar.com/article/20120402/NEWS01/204020305/Ohio-tea-party-groups-irked-by-IRS

Tea Party activities funded by Republicans: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Judge-rules-tea-party-group-a-PAC-not-a-nonprofit-3442532.php

And

Sexual assault: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/18/10739907-former-tea-party-spokesman-michael-kobulnicky-arrested-in-sex-assault-case

No more rallies, no more events, and no more charismatic candidates ramping up for the 2012 elections. Other than a few local stirrings, the Tea Party seems like it's descending into oblivion. Did the Koch brothers simply decide to put money elsewhere?

Viewing Comments 1-15 of 15     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    260 threads
    5,161 comments

1   8:26am Mon 2 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

iwog says

Did the Koch brothers simply decide to put money elsewhere?

Yeah, in seizing the CATO institute.

2. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    269 threads
    6,023 comments
    Davis, CA

2   8:55am Mon 2 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What no mention of Joe Walsh?

Despite their lip-flapping about independence and ending "politics as usual" they threw themselves wholeheartedly into the GOP. So now they are too busy establishing themselves as players to actually DO anything other than grandstanding when they can find a camera. It's been fun to watch them turn from denying their partisanship, to embracing it full on. Now they compete to see who is "most Republican" and deride non-Teabaggers as RINOs.

But don't you DARE equate them with Occupy Wall Street, and say they have lost their message if they ever had one. Derision of that sort is mere partisanship.

3. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

3   10:17am Mon 2 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The Teabaggers went home to watch Matlock reruns.

4. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

4   5:57am Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

And Dukes of Hazzard reruns.

5. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,769 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

5   6:56am Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Cloud says

Back slappers...I'm reading a post from a guy who is attacking the Tea Part and who says 30 Trillion is ok number for National Debt. Insanity.

Do the folks in the office turn their heads when they hear the pom poms swishing by or are they use to it by now?

Null post.

Do you have any comments as to why the Tea Party seems to be fading into irrelevancy? What happened to the rallies? The psycho candidates? The witches?

6. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,488 comments

6   1:54pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Iwog,
    for me, it seems like we (conservatives) have no way to break into the GOP's main system. We have just as much chance as having a voice in the Dem system, in my opinion. We want the Constitution to be upheld, we want less Gov (for everyone, including Wall Street Fat Bastards), and we want freedom, and we want self reliance, but there is a really loose fit around "we" in the T.E.A Party, so the group kinda floats around.

Every person I was excited to vote for has been axed. Every single one. Cain was my favorite, then Bachmann, then Perry. Paul is great on lots of areas except defense. So. I will vote against Lord Barry in Nov., but I am not voting "for" anyone left in the hunt (well, unless Santorum pulls off a last lap, turn four, pass).

Our local T.E.A. Party has doubled in size in just over a year. To be honest, our meetings look just like I'm at Church with a few added folks from the local Chamber of Commerce, Clampers, Lions, Elks, and K of C. Just a bunch of regular people that are tired of pretending things are ok.

The Glenn Beck ralley in Texas should be hard for the media to ignore.

Has anyone heard from Code Pink? Seen any proof the Osama was not questioned or is still alive?

7. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

7   1:59pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Bap33 says

Cain was my favorite, then Bachmann, then Perry.

Bachmann and Perry are from extremist religious backgrounds. Perry is involved in the New Apostolic Reformation, a blatently theocratic sect.

Hell I grew up in a far-right Christian denomination. Even I think these people are dangerous kooks.

8. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,769 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

8   2:49pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Bap33 says

Our local T.E.A. Party has doubled in size in just over a year. To be honest, our meetings look just like I'm at Church with a few added folks from the local Chamber of Commerce, Clampers, Lions, Elks, and K of C. Just a bunch of regular people that are tired of pretending things are ok.

The Tea Party would be running the country now if it replaced radical right wing ideology with good old American common sense.

Democrats are alienated by tax cuts for billionaires, constant and sustained hatred for Obama, and contradictory budget policy that never makes sense. You need far more Teddy Roosevelt and far less Sarah Palin.

I've attended Tea Party rallies and instead of hearing speeches about government intrusion, wasteful spending, states rights, and strict constitutional interpretation, (all valid conservative positions) I hear a truckload of slander against Obama that isn't true and wouldn't matter even if it was, birther nonsense, and Glenn Beck by proxy.

This is no way to run a country.

9. Nomograph

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    104 threads
    2,848 comments

9   5:46pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

Where is the Tea Party?

In CA the Minutemen morphed into the Tea Party after they self-destructed. They'll pop up somewhere else soon.

10. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

10   6:42am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

You need far more Teddy Roosevelt and far less Sarah Palin.

Well said.

11. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    999 threads
    12,408 comments

11   7:09am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

iwog says

You need far more Teddy Roosevelt and far less Sarah Palin.

Or Obama, or Nancy Pelosi, or Barney Frank or the whole 112th Congress for that matter.

What a crock of Shit you folks like to toss around up in here.

12. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    999 threads
    12,408 comments

12   7:13am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

OH! And Obama is no Damn Kennedy.

I think WE all know that by now. Where's the retracts stories.

13. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

13   7:15am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Why won't CaptainShuddup just shuddup?

14. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,488 comments

14   8:39am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

The last meeting I sat in, (mid Feb) the main speaker (local dentist I know - born and raised in San Mateo) spoke about the lack of enforcement/oversight/justice where Holder was concerned. Had lots of details and facts. The next speaker was a retired teacher that was born and raised in the south valley (like, Fresno-ish) living here now (central valley), and she did a historical fact presentation about Ruby Ridge and Waco, and some 2nd ammendment points of concerns in California. NRA is in the house. Nobody really bagged on Barry, there were just some funny cartoons on a handout about Lord Barry, Pelosi, and co, and the last speaker did mention something about Michelle O's spending and eating habits while vacationing and suggesting folks eat healthy - but more in humor than is fact. The last speaker, I do not remeber what his backgroud was, but he was a younger negro fellow, and was obviously a man of faith. He had opened the meeting with a prayer before we said the pledge, and he closed the meeting with a powerful prayer that asked for everyone to pray for Lord Barry. Not some stupid junk, but earnest desire to help the man make good choices for this land. I found the whole deal positive.

Out in the parking lot a few of us sat around and shot the breeze for another hour or so. Yes, it was a redneck roundup, one foot on back bumper, thumb in front pants pocked, meeting. In that meeting we spoke about welfare, gangs, unemployed legal citizens, illegals that are great neighbors, illegals that are bad neighbors, cranksters and their theivery, more welfare, more gangs, school district spending on continuation schools for gangsters, religion, Gm, Prius, pickups, milk prices, beef prices, irrigation water prices, High Speed Rail, taxes, welfare some more, gangs some more, deisel vs gas, Chevy vs Ford, NASCAR, Giants, Tebow, Religion, taxes again ... heck, I think we even talked about the Myan Calendar. I left with a small group still standing there shooting the breeze, I figure they talked about me after I left!! lol Just normal folks, if you ask me.

15. msilenus

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    8 threads
    345 comments

15   2:30pm Fri 6 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bap33 says

for me, it seems like we (conservatives) have no way to break into the GOP's main system.

Oh, don't worry. You have representation.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all

Premium member iwog is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 73 milliseconds to create.