Koch believes in an independent Cato Institute

By Vicente   Follow   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 10:12am   914 views   6 comments
In Davis CA 95616   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Man, this article is a real knee slapper. From a guy who serves as a VP at the Koch Foundation and also on the Cato board:

"In 1974, Charles Koch started the Charles Koch Foundation. In 1976, the foundation was renamed Cato Institute, with Koch as one of the co-founders. His vision was to build a nonpartisan organization that would advance ideas that enable all people to prosper by promoting liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. That vision has remained a constant since the beginning."

And it just gets worse from there.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/05/opinion/gentry-cato-koch/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

I feel SO *ashamed* that I once read every Cato paper and recommended the best of them to friends. What a fool I was.

Viewing Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »     See most liked comments

1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    371 threads
    19,625 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   10:44am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

The Cato Institute is a neoconservative joke. It's single purpose has always been to supply misinformation and make the people ignorant enough to believe their garbage even more stupid.

This is one of my favorites. Published in 2001:

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/dont-subsidize-car

So where are these (hybrid) cars? I doubt most people can recall seeing one, even though the Insight’s profile is as striking as an old Citroen. You haven’t seen them because there aren’t many being produced. They’re hemorrhaging money for both Toyota and Honda. My best guess is that Honda has already lost about $80 million on the 8,000 Insights it has shipped to the U.S. over the 18 months of its availability. Last spring, the Washington Post estimated Toyota is losing even more—$17,000 per copy—on each Prius.

Obviously, these cars can’t achieve profitability under any reasonable sales projections. If they could, the advertising spots would be as frequent as Chevy’s “Heartbeat of America.” But they are not. In fact, I’ll bet most readers can’t recall ever having seen the plugs for the Prius (aging hippies drive it in through a tropical rainforest while a chimpanzee applauds) or the Insight (comes out of a car wash— it’s a “clean” vehicle, get it?).

Published Tuesday of this week:

Toyota Prius sales surge 54% from a year earlier to monthly record
    http://green.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/toyota-prius-sales-surge-54-from-a-year-earlier-to-monthly-reco/

The Japanese automaker sold 28,711 Prius hybrids in March, the all-time U.S. monthly record since introducing the model stateside in 2000. Prius sales were up 54 percent from a year earlier and helped push total Toyota Motor Sales USA sales up 15 percent. The Camry Hybrid, which got an update late last year, boosted sales by 35 percent from a year earlier and set an all-time March record.

2. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

2   11:01am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Ah the Cock brothers...

3. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    258 threads
    5,686 comments
    Davis, CA

3   12:07pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I can't help but sputter "but...but... how did this drivel get published?"

But then I read stories about the Perry/Brand divorce and am reminded infotainment is the goal not actual journalism.

4. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    371 threads
    19,625 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

4   1:24pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I can't drive my Suburban 5 miles without having to clean another Prius off the front bumper..

"Obviously, these cars can’t achieve profitability under any reasonable sales projections."

Yeah right. And they call Cato a think tank.

5. Nomograph

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    104 threads
    2,848 comments

5   4:42pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

The Cato Institute is a neoconservative joke.

An even bigger Neoconservative joke is the Project for a New American Century; the people largely responsible for the invasion of Iraq. They were chomping at the bit to invade Iraq for years, and as soon as they come into power that's exactly what they did. Luckily they have been defunct more or less since 2005, when it became apparent what a enormous disaster their policies have become.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm

6. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    258 threads
    5,686 comments
    Davis, CA

6   8:35pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Nomograph says

Luckily they have been defunct more or less since 2005

That's the great thing about 5013c. So easy to just let it go defunct if it's not doing well and switch activities to another one. Much like shell corporations.

Makes me think, why would the Koch brothers care so much about Cato? They could just defund it, and open up other paper mills run by some more compliant toadies.

Vicente is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 40 milliseconds to create.