Post jobs and track applicants with Jobbered, our Applicant Tracking Software (Advertisement)

Another Credit Agency Downgrades US

By Dan8267   Follow   Tue, 10 Apr 2012, 10:28pm   1,348 views   13 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This time from AA+ to AA.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/04/06/USA-Credit-Rating-Downgraded

Viewing Comments 1-13 of 13     Last »     See most liked comments

1. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    313 threads
    8,616 comments

1   11:26pm Tue 10 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Obviously, it's because housing is underpriced!

2. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

2   7:01am Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Tony Manero says

Obviously, it's because housing is underpriced!

That's Right ! I was just on my way out the door to make several offers at twice the asking price.
    Welcome back.

It is beginning to appear the banks did not generate the confidence needed to keep the stock market rolling. They had hoped to sneak out the back door and simultaneously begin reinvesting in real property. Is this their last thread without the bernanke addiction ?

3. tdeloco

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    11 threads
    218 comments
    San Jose, CA

3   2:48pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

They added that there was a 1.2% probability of U.S default in the next 12 months.

It's still waaay too early to call US default, but we're getting there, unless things change.

This time, treasury yields are up a few basis points.

4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    949 threads
    11,153 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   4:37pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The US won't default honestly. It will partially default through inflation. The question is how much.

Already treasures have a negative real interest rate return. Why would I give my money to the U.S. government at -3% interest?

5. tdeloco

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    11 threads
    218 comments
    San Jose, CA

5   5:46pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

The US won't default honestly. It will partially default through inflation. The question is how much.

Already treasures have a negative real interest rate return. Why would I give my money to the U.S. government at -3% interest?

Yep, fiscal repression is probable, but we're just not there yet. Our debt is still increasing rapidly (annual increase is approx 10% nominal). GDP/inflation is supposed to be only 2-3% at this point.

We can jump through hoops just to avoid a default. Either way, it's not gonna be pretty.

I also read articles that suggest we'll stop borrowing and just print money to directly fund our financial obligations.

6. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    949 threads
    11,153 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

6   6:12pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

tdeloco says

I also read articles that suggest we'll stop borrowing and just print money to directly fund our financial obligations.

And history repeats itself like a broken record.

7. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    249 threads
    5,368 comments
    Davis, CA

7   8:42pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Who gives a crap? These credit agencies are completely worthless and discredited anyhow.

Your personal "credit rating" is a load of bunk and hokum too.

8. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    949 threads
    11,153 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

8   9:09pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

Who gives a crap? These credit agencies are completely worthless and discredited anyhow.

True. But even crap opinions can have huge effects on the economy if enough people buy into them or are afraid that other people will.

9. drtor

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    4 threads
    118 comments

9   9:20pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

Your personal "credit rating" is a load of bunk and hokum too.

“Eagles are dandified vultures” - Teddy Roosevelt

Actually this was from Egan Jones - they are pretty credible (no pun intendend). Unlike the major credit rating agencies, EJ make a living collecting fees from investors, not from the entities being rated. They downgraded US way before S&P the first time, now they did it again.

However the US government only endorses corrupted credit rating agencies that are paid for by those who are being rated, hence, nobody paid attention when EJ downrated the US the first time.

10. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    949 threads
    11,153 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

10   10:58pm Wed 11 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

So, can I trust EJ to rate stocks and bonds accurately?

11. drtor

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    4 threads
    118 comments

11   2:44pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

So, can I trust EJ to rate stocks and bonds accurately?

"Trust" is a pretty big word. I would like to think they can provide useful information, yes. There are some academic papers showing that paid-by-investor ratings are more accurate than paid-by-the-rated ratings (quelle surprise!).

12. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    58 threads
    2,604 comments
    Bellingham, WA

12   3:54pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

tdeloco says

This will work well for social security's needs -- just monetize the $2.5T in the SSTF over the next 25 years. We're already doing that with the 2% payroll tax cut, Congress is just printing the bonds to pay for this and stuffing them in the SSTF (to go with the $1T+ in printed accrued interest, 1985-now).

The inflation this printing will produce should be counter-acted by the 'deflationary balance-sheet recession' spiral everyone else is in.

13. tdeloco

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    11 threads
    218 comments
    San Jose, CA

13   7:35pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Delurking says

This will work well for social security's needs -- just monetize the $2.5T in the SSTF over the next 25 years. We're already doing that with the 2% payroll tax cut, Congress is just printing the bonds to pay for this and stuffing them in the SSTF (to go with the $1T+ in printed accrued interest, 1985-now).

The inflation this printing will produce should be counter-acted by the 'deflationary balance-sheet recession' spiral everyone else is in.

Oh, we're monetizing debt at an even greater pace than that: In 2011, the Fed purchased 61% of U.S. Treasuries. The deflation will only counter-act the printing for so long. After several years, it's gonna be like comparing a mouse to an elephant.

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 158 milliseconds to create.