Another data point provided by Herm Cain

By iwog   Follow   Wed, 11 Apr 2012, 6:23pm   7,875 views   88 comments
In Lafayette CA 94549   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

This one is just psycho. WTF is wrong with Republicans?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/herman-cain-video-chickens_n_1419050.html

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 9-48 of 88     Next »     Last »     See most liked comments

1. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    194 threads
    7,075 comments

9   12:16am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

clambo says

Taxes as a % of GDP are high, not low.

BS. See the column on the right.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=205

2. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

10   12:26am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Not only are taxes high as a % of GDP today, soon the interest on the $16+ trillion dollars will begin to be huge. Interest rates are low and the Fed keeps buying Treasury and other debt but this cannot go on forever.
    If Obama is re-elected, the debt will be another $4 trillion on top of the $16 trillion, tick tock, tick tock. Imagine higher interest rates X $20 trillion or more. This interest will be some real money.
    The differing figures that show our taxes either below 20% of GDP or higher than 20% of GDP are a result of defining "taxes". Some guys say that Social Security and Medicare payments are not taxes.
    So, if I click the link you show, they don't count these, while other groups would count them.

3. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

11   12:41am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

I hate anyone picking my pocket. That's not making me childish, that makes me a normal man. If some punk on the street tried he'd be as fuct up as a guy bringing skittles to a gunfight.
    I hate others deciding who deserves to suck my blood from me.
    Evidently I am not alone. This explains why Apple is building facilities like one in Austin TX for $310 million+ so their employees and they can enjoy some escape from the burden of California taxes.
    Incidentally, California is 1. bankrupt forever 2. real estate bubble deflating forever in many towns.
    I was so glad about Apple having the balls to move stuff to Texas I just couldn't resist getting 100 more shares yeah baby.
    No limit nigga loves AAPL.

4. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    7,890 comments

12   4:23am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

clambo says

I don't see where it says in the Constitution nor the Declaration of Independence that anyone has the right to take my money to give to some losers in Sec.8 housing, on food stamps, single moms who don't give shit, illegal aliens (and I know lots) getting a earned income credit therefore paying zero taxes, etc.

Let me rephrase that for you:

"I've got mine. F%^& everyone else."

5. CBOEtrader

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    26 threads
    502 comments
    Chicago, IL

13   4:31am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Taxes have never been lower. It's idiocy to somehow imply that the American tax payer is getting pecked to death while tax rates have fallen for an entire decade.

It's not only stupid, it's not only childish, but as with most other Republican propaganda the entire premise is a lie.

This? Coming from the guy who, years ago, accurately preached to republicans that taxes are created when government spends. The US debt will be paid at some point, most likely by the poorest amongst us via inflation.

The sheer size, cronyism, and lack of any constitutional limits of our government allow for MASSIVE consolidation of power into a tiny group of the most politically well-connected. This is our biggest problem.

Democrats and Republicans play different roles. Both work for the same master.

6. Honest Abe

Follow
    Befriend (41)
    108 threads
    1,847 comments

14   6:24am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Thumbs up to: CBOE, clambo & dan for acknowledging reality.

Thumbs down to: IWOG, marcus, tatupu & wthefkr80 for blatant ignorance.

The thumbs up group are concerned and aware of whats happening around them, and whats happening to our country.

The others? Forget them, they are not relevant. I'd say they are the head-in-the-sand group, the enemy within. Ignoramus R Us. More taxes please, and after we waste and squander that we'll demand more! Its never enough! Wants, waste, and abuse have no limit. Its the never ending story on steroids. More, more, more. The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off because government didn't pay the electric bill despite the hundreds of billions of "revenue" it takes in yearly. But it's not enough. Spending ALWAYS exceeds income. Are you people insane?

I report, you decide.

10-4

Abe

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

15   7:10am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CBOEtrader says

This? Coming from the guy who, years ago, accurately preached to republicans that taxes are created when government spends. The US debt will be paid at some point, most likely by the poorest amongst us via inflation.

Inflation doesn't hurt the poor. Wages generally rise at the same rate as inflation. The people who get hurt the most are people on fixed income and the rich who are hoarding dollars.

Anyway the question of who will ultimately pay the national debt isn't a campaign issue now just like it wasn't a campaign issue in the 1980s when Reagan tripled the national debt from$1 trillion to $3 trillion. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are willing to tax what we spend, and I see no change in the near future.

However if you're going to insist government balance its books, putting Republicans in office is the worst thing you can do. The only man who ever balanced the budget was Bill Clinton, and he had to veto 13 Republican budgets to do so.

Everything about this video is a lie.

8. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    194 threads
    7,075 comments

16   7:28am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Inflation doesn't hurt the poor

I wish this were true, but I don't know that it is.

In 1968 through 1988 women entering the work force helped hide the fact that wages didn't quite keep up with inflation.

As for the last 20 years, I believe that the CPI understates inflation and that wage increases haven't even kept up with that. International competition and outsourcing can be blamed for part of it, but still, I seriously question that assertion.

As for the rich, if they have enough leveraged investments (and the extremely rich do), then they are probably better covered than the poor and the middle class. They have people that can help them be in optimal assets during the worst inflation.

I think our standard of living at least sometimes drops when inflation occurs.

9. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

17   7:47am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

My pay hasn't increased as fast as the cost of gasoline and food, that's for sure.

10. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

18   8:11am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

My pay hasn't increased as fast as the cost of gasoline and food, that's for sure.

The minimum wage has kept up: (thanks to the Democrats)

And wages for everyone else actually does a very good job tracking inflation:

Wages versus inflation

11. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

19   8:33am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Hopefully that will continue.

I don't see how we get around the problem of oil depletion, though.

Wages won't rise as fast as oil prices when we reach "peak oil."

12. CBOEtrader

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    26 threads
    502 comments
    Chicago, IL

20   9:10am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

However if you're going to insist government balance its books, putting Republicans in office is the worst thing you can do.

Republicans are only for small government when the democrats are in power...I agree with you there.

13. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

21   9:20am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Wages would have risen more if the slave masters had not employed those millions of illegal aliens. See how wages are in Australia and other countries that strictly control who goes there to work.
    Someone made a snarky comment that I am greedy because "I got mine". You bet your fuckin ass it's mine buddy. I made it, and I won't go into detail about HOW I made it, but it was not working as a "Diversity coordinator" or a "community activist." I put my brains, balls, money, sweat, blood and sacrifice out there and NOW everything I have is the result of 1. work 2. sacrifice. 3. risking investments.
    No one anywhere has the right to take anything mine to give away to the slackers, bong sucking, tattooed, pierced twerps and illegal alien anchor babies, SSI defrauders, and the rest. You need to come to Santa Cruz and look around to see them all.

14. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

22   9:30am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Half the problems in this country would be solved if only those who could pass the citizen's test immigrants have to take were allowed to vote.

Too many dumb, uneducated voters.

we agree

And passing the test should result in a photo ID with your vital info listed. Shown to access the polls.

100% agree with fixing the voter pool.

15. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

23   9:33am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

iwog,
    if the minimum wage were just set to $100 per hour we would all be rich

16. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

24   9:37am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bap33 says

iwog,

$100 an hour is only $208,000 per year. You'd have a decent standard of living but I wouldn't consider that rich. You probably wouldn't even be able to afford a mistress.

17. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

25   9:40am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

RE: Dan 8267: The vast majority foreigners here legally or illegally won't study for any citizenship test ever.
    The other vast majority of foreigners here do not take the citizenship test once they get their GREEN cards. Why would they? They like the convenience of the Green card more than American citizenship.
    What is the difference between a green card holder and a citizen? The Green card can't 1. vote 2. buy a gun.
    Most foreigners don't care and don't miss having a gun since they likely came from a country that doesn't allow them anyway.

18. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

26   9:42am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

I don't see how we get around the problem of oil depletion, though.

Wages won't rise as fast as oil prices when we reach "peak oil."

I agree with you with a caveat. The United States is now the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. Our supplies are so massive that they still don't have good estimates because drilling new wells isn't cost effective with the price so low.

EVERYTHING, with the single exception of most airplanes, can run on natural gas. I purchased a natural gas utility truck last month, and it runs like a dream. I fill up for $2.20 per gallon. (per gallon is a petrol equivalent measure)

19. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

27   9:46am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

I agree with you with a caveat. The United States is now the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. Our supplies are so massive that they still don't have good estimates because drilling new wells isn't cost effective with the price so low.

I've heard that too. Other people say it's industry propaganda. I don't know who to believe.

I'd love a natural gas vehicle. Unfortunately, there's nowhere to fill up...at least near me.

20. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

28   9:52am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

I've heard that too. Other people say it's industry propaganda. I don't know who to believe.

Don't believe anyone. Believe the market. Here's what natural gas futures looks like. I hope no one was long.

21. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

29   9:56am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Usually the market knows best on these kinds of issues, yes.

Wow, I didn't know it crashed from $4 town to $2. Last I heard it was $4.

Do you fill up your NGV at home or at a gas station with CNG?

22. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

30   9:58am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

Do you fill up your NGV at home or at a gas station with CNG?

I'm lucky in that California has stations all over the state. My nearest one is 1 mile from my office and the price is currently $2.11 per gallon.

Home natural gas is cheaper, around $1.50 per gallon but you have to pay for a compressor and the electricity to fill your vehicle. There's a break even point somewhere but I haven't researched it.

I checked Corning, NY and you're right. You have nowhere to fill up. If you get natural gas delivered to your home that's certainly an option.

23. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

31   10:01am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Here's a CNG station map for the SF area for all you Northern California people who are thinking about a CNG vehicle. The prices are per gallon gasoline equivalent.

24. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

32   10:03am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Got an equivalent map for upstate NY? Is that from Google Maps?

25. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

33   10:09am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

Got an equivalent map for upstate NY? Is that from Google Maps?

Sure but it's not good news I'm afraid. My source is: http://www.cngprices.com/

26. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

34   10:11am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I checked "cng prices.com" and there's nothing near me. Maybe I'll have to ask some gas station owners why they don't have CNG.

Is this a classic example of "market failure"? It's a big "catch 22"...no CNG vehicles without CNG stations, and visa versa.

27. clambo

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    1,484 comments
    Santa Cruz, CA

35   10:30am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

28. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,439 comments

36   11:08am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I hope no one was long.
    Only CHK. Perhaps it is time to double (or is that triple) down. That said, desperate times call for desperate measures (re: peak oil). You know you're in trouble when you look to the Nazis and apartheid era South Africa for inspiration. Or perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong, its just a business opportunity based on the lower cost per therm of natural gas.
    Ducky, I asked on another thread but don't think you replied. Did you buy the truck at auction or from a dealer?

29. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

37   11:18am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EBGuy says

Ducky, I asked on another thread but don't think you replied. Did you buy the truck at auction or from a dealer?

I bought the truck from a private party in Las Vegas who had purchased it from a utility surplus fleet auction. I'll get some pictures soon and put up a thread with more details.

30. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,439 comments

38   11:28am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'll get some pictures soon...
    Be sure to include a close up of the HOV sticker for your Inherently Low Emission Vehicle.

31. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    43 threads
    1,615 comments
    Dublin, CA

39   11:40am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

clambo says

No limit nigga loves AAPL

Niiice!!!

32. bdrasin

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    560 comments
    Alameda, CA

40   11:45am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Bap33 says

iwog,

$100 an hour is only $208,000 per year. You'd have a decent standard of living but I wouldn't consider that rich. You probably wouldn't even be able to afford a mistress.

I think you must be overpaying.

33. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    43 threads
    1,615 comments
    Dublin, CA

41   11:48am Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bdrasin says

iwog says

Bap33 says

iwog,

I think you must be overpaying.

If the min wage was $100 per hr, first thing bay area lanlords would do would increase rent to $15000 per month - that's what they do, just like the jacked up the rent when social security tax cut was passed.

34. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    995 threads
    12,074 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

42   12:11pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

wthrfrk80 says

Your pay has increased? Count yourself lucky. I was paid more in the 90s.

35. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    995 threads
    12,074 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

43   12:18pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bap33 says

And passing the test should result in a photo ID with your vital info listed. Shown to access the polls.

I'd agree to a national ID if there were strict Constitutional restrictions on what the government and corporations can do with that ID and if American's right to privacy and access/control over data about them was highly protected by Constitutional amendments.

If such liberties were secured, which I can't see in today's political climate, then I'd go way beyond a "photo" ID. I'd put a microchip in it using RSA cryptography and a micro USB port to verify authenticity. Such an ID could also be used for secure electronic money transfers replacing credit cards. It would have an LCD screen that displayed hashes like an RSA keychain to allow verification without using the USB port. That, and a pin, would be the ultimate ID.

However, I would not accept a national ID under the current political climate given how much the federal and states government have abused their populations and trampled on human and civil rights.

36. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,928 comments
    Bellingham, WA

44   12:39pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

dublin hillz says

If the min wage was $100 per hr, first thing bay area lanlords would do would increase rent to $15000 per month - that's what they do, just like the jacked up the rent when social security tax cut was passed.

Came here to say that.

This observation is the "All-Devouring Rent" thesis. Google has 53 matches for this, and 10% of them are me.

For something so obvious it sure is obscure.

I suspect the Bush tax cuts were also drivers of the 2002-2003 housing boom, too. You can't give ALL households $2000 - $3000 more in take-home pay without it pushing up rents and home values.

This is why I don't think progressive taxation is that great a thing. It is taking a cudgel to a tax problem when a scalpel would work much better.

iwog proposes all people in his tax bracket pay more, great, but if he were really fair-minded he would agree that people in his line of "work" -- rent-skimming --should be paying taxes on their gross rents until it hurts. After that, we should go after other forms of capital income and then wages.

Frankly, I also think/hope just raising taxes on the middle class would also come out of rents and land values in the end, but doing so would be a period of brutal readjustment.

And ain't going to happen anyway. This nation is about as corrupt as the Soviet Union ca. 1985. Maybe we too have got 5 more years until the wheels come off, dunno.

37. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

45   12:43pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

$100/hour only gets you a middle class standard of living in the Bay Area. Barely.

38. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,928 comments
    Bellingham, WA

46   12:45pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

clambo says

and NOW everything I have is the result of 1. work 2. sacrifice. 3. risking investments.

before you dislocate something patting yourself on the back, did you actually create any new wealth?

Armed robbery also involves work, sacrifice, and risk.

39. Honest Abe

Follow
    Befriend (41)
    108 threads
    1,847 comments

47   1:54pm Thu 12 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Quote from Iwog:"Inflation doesn't hurt the poor". Hahaha, obviously from someone who doesn't understand inflation.

Hey Iwog, define INFLATION for us.

40. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

48   7:43am Fri 13 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Wow cloud, are you seeing someone for all that nerd rage?

Cloud says

Took me a long time to get him to answer the question: How much is too much debt.

No it didn't, I answered you the first time you asked. You're just lying again.

« First     « Previous comments     Next comments »     Last »

Premium member iwog is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 161 milliseconds to create.