How I pay for my home after I sign the dotted line?

By suny74   Follow   Sun, 15 Apr 2012, 7:56am   3,700 views   20 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I am looking to buy home in NY. No matter where I look avergae home is 500,000.
How do I get mortgage and pay for it. Combined income 80,000. LOL

Viewing Comments 1-20 of 20     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CrazyMan

Follow
    Befriend
    534 comments
    Boulder Creek, CA

1   8:29am Sun 15 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

You don't.

Welcome to the American dream where 80k puts you in lower middle class.

2. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    431 threads
    12,582 comments

2   8:55am Sun 15 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (7)   Dislike  

Just get the note and forget about paying it. It will take 3-5 years to get you out of the house. Save every dime you make.

Do it again on your wife's SSN.

Then buy a house cash for 1/10th what you'd pay now.

Make sure it's near a water supply and on a defensible piece of land with space and soil quality for potatoes.

3. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

3   10:28am Sun 15 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Seriously?

Look around, make an offer on a crappy place no one wants and make extra payments. Fix it up.

Get used to being broke.

4. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    170 threads
    5,555 comments

4   10:56am Sun 15 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html

I think Patrick had a better one somewhere, but this should help you see if you are wasting your money.

5. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,551 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

5   11:42am Sun 15 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

Buy into the American dream. 500k debt is nothing. Someone on another thread said in 10 years you will be making 43% more. Then 43% more in another 10 years. Pretty soon you'll be making 500k/yr so your house cost come from the change you drop in the sofa. Buy into it like the rest of the Lemmings. The banks know money better than the rest of us, and if they say you can afford it, then they must be right. All of us amateur economists and nay sayers are all just jealous. People who own are so much better off. Only if I could afford to look like them. Just only...

6. Hysteresis

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    14 threads
    660 comments

6   12:36am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

this is typical of the brain power found on the bullish side

7. Robber Baron Elite Scum

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    114 threads
    961 comments
    Roslyn, NY

7   2:36am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Tony Manero says

Just get the note and forget about paying it. It will take 3-5 years to get you out of the house. Save every dime you make.

Make sure it's near a water supply and on a defensible piece of land with space and soil quality for potatoes.

Do EXACTLY as Tony Manero said.

Except put as much money as you can in silver with some cash on the side.

Do NOT keep the cash in the banks and make sure to invest in PHYSICAL silver that you have in your hands. Put everything in a fireproof bullet-proof safe.

Keep a shotgun and several other guns with plenty of ammo, a bullet proof vest for both of you and invest in a good alarm system to detect when cannibal intruders have entered to rob and eat your flesh from intense hunger.

Keep a storage of preserved food that will not go bad and will be able to fulfill nutritional needs. Grow your own food though as Tony Manero said just in case...

Buy water and store it properly so it doesn't go bad. Build a water pump to get fresh water out of the ground. Storing water you buy from the grocery is in case the water pump doesn't work.

Buy a proper water filter to kill any bacteria in water and to purify the water from as much toxics, pollutants and chemical as possible. The filter is meant in case the water pump malfunctions and the stored water ran out.

Locate a natural source of clean water if you can.

Learn to purify water without a filter. Just basic equipment if everything above fails and the filter is no longer working.

Keep equipment that can cook food efficiently.

Buy a electricity generator.

Learn how to keep yourself warm and have heat.

Keep matches and lighters. Plenty of them.

Buy candles and flashlights with plenty of batteries and battery chargers plus bulbs.

Learn to clean yourself and maintain your hygiene. Infections are deadly.

Have a very energy and cost efficient transportation mode and do NOT travel to dangerous areas. Learn your way around which places to avoid. I do not recommend going out if you do not have too. Stay home. Avoid the streets and going out as much as you can. It will be mostly dangerous outside and there will be nothing to do since everything has basically collapsed.

Have a bug-out plan in case you lose the house and are kicked out. Learn how to survive living in a tent in a safe place. Pick a location wisely.

Keep extensive first-aid kits found in hospitals and know how to use it. Keep a water bag IV kit and know how to use it in case of severe injury and severe dehydration. Keep several different types of antibiotics for several different infections. Know how to use them properly with the proper dosage and how to most accurately determine what antibiotic should be used. Hospitals will be over-crowded when shit hits the fan and they may even be closed. I'm willing to bet that they will be closed.

I know what I'm posting is extremely long...What I really meant to post is this...

PREPARE FOR A FUCKING CANNIBAL SHIT-STORM ENGINEERED BY YOUR BELOVED BANKERS WHO PROVIDE YOU WITH CREDIT CARDS TO BUY WORTHLESS IPADS!

8. Robber Baron Elite Scum

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    114 threads
    961 comments
    Roslyn, NY

8   2:40am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Learn also to murder and kill cannibals with your bare hands in case you run out of ammo and the guns become useless.

Be very creative with producing your own weapons to defend yourself against flesh eaters.

Running away from a situation is always best if you can since even the most toughest and strongest fighters can get killed by a mob of cannibals or any pussy with a gun.

But if you are forced to fight... Then fight... And fight as hard you can like you never fought before.

Best to try to avoid dangerous areas and always keeping a guard. Learn to stay only in safe areas.

Again... This ties back to staying at home like I said previously in my previous post.

9. Robber Baron Elite Scum

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    114 threads
    961 comments
    Roslyn, NY

9   2:52am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

And one more thing: Always make sure you actually know how to use a gun properly. They can be extremely dangerous and ineffective if you can't aim properly.

You can kill someone innocent or a loved one during combat. Be careful with it.

10. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

10   6:47am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

suny74 says

I am looking to buy home in NY. No matter where I look avergae home is 500,000.
    How do I get mortgage and pay for it. Combined income 80,000.

You move to Corning, NY where the average home is 50,000. Be sure to have a job here before you move. ;-)

11. BoxwAngels

Follow
    Befriend
    4 comments

11   7:00am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

There are plenty of places in Upstate NY and LI (mid/east LI) where you can find a house for less than that. You are just going to have to either wait & save, live in an area you may not have wanted to, or buy less house. We have a combined income of 120K, higher when my business was doing well (husband has the stable 100K income). We are not comfortable spending more than 300K for a house. Taxes on LI are ridiculous, and you just never know how high they are going to go down the road. I didn't wait this long and wait out the market to end up in foreclosure because we couldn't meet the mtg payment, kwim?

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,293 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   8:40am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

BoxwAngels says

Taxes on LI are ridiculous

Property taxes on Long Island are roughly equivalent to rent in most places. Must be nice to be a public employee retiree from there.

13. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    1,913 comments
    Dublin, CA

13   9:22am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Home price is 6.25 annual incomes, that's too high. Even if you could come up with a 20% down, you are likely to be wiped out in case one person were to lose the job. While you could possibly make the payments if you both keep working, it will significantly affect your lifestyle in other areas. Don't know what rents are like in your area, but simply buying wise, does not seem like a good idea.

14. woppa

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    4 threads
    196 comments
    Bronx, NY

14   9:38am Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Rents are not cheap here in NYC by any means. Even in the 4 boroughs that aren't filled with rich people. I have been wondering this for a long time now about the outrageous prices in NYC and the surrounding counties. I have to believe that many people actually bought their houses 30 years ago or more, when they were logically priced. Now there worth twice as much. I don't see how anyone can afford these houses with the way things are now. Wages are terrible, I am a public employee, forced to live in the 5 boroughs or surrounding counties, and my starting salary was 36,500 a year. If you have 2 incomes and a couple kids, you'll be paying day care expenses equal to a mortgage payment, so the 2 incomes really only makes a difference if you have no kids. What a nice life we live here in America, land of the free, home of the morons.

15. everything

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    722 comments

15   4:24pm Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dunnoh, I found out paying for it is not a big deal, taxes, insurance, upkeep, city utilities kept adding up to more than my loan payment so it made no sense to buy/own on one income.

16. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    431 threads
    12,582 comments

16   6:15pm Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Screw paying.

They'll get bailed out.

Just show up at the bank once a month with a cup of coffee and a Swisher Sweet cigar, announce you've arrived to make a payment and take a shit on the bank lobby floor.

17. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,598 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

17   6:22pm Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Just don't buy the house you had previously "bought" since you'll be tearing out all the copper wiring. That stuff is valuable.

18. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,598 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   6:23pm Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

Learn also to murder and kill cannibals with your bare hands in case you run out of ammo and the guns become useless.

Zombie apocalypse already? All right!

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,598 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

19   6:24pm Mon 16 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Just show up at the bank once a month with a cup of coffee and a Swisher Sweet cigar, announce you've arrived to make a payment and take a shit on the bank lobby floor.

Sounds like a waste of good fertilizer that could be used to grow those potatoes.

20. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    11 threads
    3,137 comments

20   11:03am Tue 17 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Sounds like a waste of good fertilizer that could be used to grow those potatoes.

Talk about recycling potatoes.

suny74 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 155 milliseconds to create.