« previous   misc   next »

A reasonably priced house?

By FormerBear   Follow   Sat, 5 May 2012, 3:54pm PDT   1,741 views   6 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

For those living in bay area, what do you think of this listing?
http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/4687-Holycon-Cir-95136/home/865496

Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »

supersunken   Sat, 5 May 2012, 4:26pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

Are you planning to live there or for investment property? Look up crime reports for this address. You have like 0.5 mi radius of safety. Reasonably priced home for the "barrio". Look at the description on Redfin. "Great first time buyer, investor or move up property."

This basically translates to great for first time buyers who can't afford the bigger down payments in a better neighborhood. An investor who just looking to rent out for income, or move up from an apartment since this mortgage is cheaper than rent.

At the peak it sold for over 500k. You can't expect to see this again anytime soon.

FormerBear   Sat, 5 May 2012, 5:08pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

supersunken says

Are you planning to live there or for investment property? Look up crime reports for this address. You have like 0.5 mi radius of safety. Reasonably priced home for the "barrio". Look at the description on Redfin. "Great first time buyer, investor or move up property."

This basically translates to great for first time buyers who can't afford the bigger down payments in a better neighborhood. An investor who just looking to rent out for income, or move up from an apartment since this mortgage is cheaper than rent.

At the peak it sold for over 500k. You can't expect to see this again anytime soon.

I see, well, I believe that if one decides not to pay $1 milion for a similar Cupertino house, than one has no choice than the "barrio". Or one can choose to buy a manufactured home, or rent. Or move out of Bay Area altogether :)

Patrick   Sun, 6 May 2012, 4:50am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

I think it's pretty reasonably priced compared to renting the same thing:

http://patrick.net/housing/calculator.php?uaddr=4687+Holycon+Cir%2C+95136

thomas.wong1986   Sun, 6 May 2012, 9:22am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

FormerBear says

I see, well, I believe that if one decides not to pay $1 milion for a similar Cupertino house, than one has no choice than the "barrio". Or one can choose to buy a manufactured home, or rent. Or move out of Bay Area altogether :)

$1M Cup home (old) with 1100-1500 sq ft isnt similar to a $1 SJ home (modern) at 3-4K sq ft. at Silver Creek. To pay that much in Cup would be foolish given the alternative.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1630-Heritage-Bay-Pl-95138/home/1618814

New Renter   Fri, 5 Oct 2012, 2:57pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

Sold for $389 on 7/9

New Renter   Fri, 5 Oct 2012, 3:03pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

I know the area quite well. Good parks, quiet neighbors (most of the time), good access to shopping and freeways, underground power. The bad? airplane noise, some train noise, some very poorly maintained homes. Still better than a lot of Santa Clara and Sunnyvale.

FormerBear is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net