Windows 8. Another Vista?

By jvolstad   Follow   Tue, 15 May 2012, 2:57pm   2,052 views   18 comments
In San Antonio TX 78254   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57432023-75/microsofts-windows-8-upgrade-offer-whats-coming-when/?tag=txt;title

I don't get Windows 8. For a tablet, yes. Desktop or traditional laptop, no.

I plan to use my three year old HP laptop until it finally dies. Windows 7, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm HDD, Blu Ray optical drive.

Viewing Comments 1-18 of 18     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

1   3:49pm Tue 15 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yeah, I am a bit skeptical of Win8. Win7 has been GREAT to me so far...not a single blue screen and virtually zero hardware incompatibilities. No viruses either, and I don't even run any anti-virus software, just a good firewall. It's on a 2007 Thinkpad T60p with a 2.33GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 750GB WD Scorpio Black HDD and 1600x1200 IPS display (the main reason I never upgraded...not a single new laptop screen comes close).

Apparently you can turn-off the Metro theme (the tiles & stuff) and make it look like Win7, or even Win2k if you so desire. Beyond that, I am not entirely sure what benefits might come with it. If it somehow goes lighter on resource usage & performs better than Win7, then I'll gladly give it a shot.

I have given Linux a few shots over the years and generally like it. Unfortunately, I find it to have the stability of Win95..."oh hey I don't feel like booting, my xorg.conf decided to delete a few lines because it felt like it, teehee!" That, and the MCAD software & EE development tools aren't available for Linux, and I see no point in running a sluggish VM or dual booting...it's faster, easier & more stable to just run Windows. TO each their own though...most programmers that I know really like Linux & say that it allows them to build a much better workflow. Fair enough. Maybe someday I'll make the switch for good, but I am sure than Win10 will be out by that time haha.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,993 comments

2   4:14pm Tue 15 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

bmwman91 says

No viruses either, and I don't even run any anti-virus software, just a good firewall. It's on a 2007

Yup, I've had pages try to hijack my computer, Windows 7 just laughs it off.

I miss Windows 95, I spent what seems like years staring at that stupid windows start up flag. I bet it would be lightening fast now on new hardware. I wish they would open source it.

3. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

3   11:51pm Tue 15 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Win3.1 is open source now...you can stare at that awesome 16 color logo all you like!

4. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    767 threads
    6,587 comments
    Baltimore, MD

4   6:40am Wed 16 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Windows XP and Fedora 16 work just fine for me on an 8 year old desktop.

5. T

Follow
    Befriend
    28 comments

5   7:23am Wed 16 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I see mixed reviews about Windows 8. They say it is much snappier to run program on it. Also, some people say they are very easy to use once you get used to it (even without the 'Start' button).

I haven't played with Windows 8 myself, but it does seem to cater well to those with tablets. Let's face it, probably 70% of the people use computers for internet browsing, e-mail, and some games like Angry Birds.

6. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

6   9:37am Wed 16 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

Windows XP and Fedora 16 work just fine for me on an 8 year old desktop.

If the homeowner isn't insulted by your offer...you didn't bid low enough!!!

Sounds like what I run on my desktop at home, except I dropped in a new processor and some extra RAM 3 years ago.

7. rootvg

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    1 threads
    814 comments
    Danville, CA
    Premium

7   7:13pm Wed 16 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

bmwman91 says

No viruses either, and I don't even run any anti-virus software, just a good firewall. It's on a 2007

Yup, I've had pages try to hijack my computer, Windows 7 just laughs it off.

I miss Windows 95, I spent what seems like years staring at that stupid windows start up flag. I bet it would be lightening fast now on new hardware. I wish they would open source it.

Yes, but Win95 was barely stable. Win3.1 was NEVER stable.

I rebuilt my tower last year and loaded Win7 on it. It's okay but should be a lot faster than it is, with the resources that are on it.

My next machine will be a Mac tower (almost was this time but wife vetoed it because there are other things we need) with VMware and then I can have all the toys I want on it. Memory is cheap and storage is cheap and even the high end video cards are relatively inexpensive if not down right cheap.

8. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

8   7:52am Thu 17 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

So far Win7 has been very good to me.

I'm naturally skeptical of any "latest greatest" OS from MS.

9. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,000 threads
    12,211 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

9   9:20am Thu 17 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'm not optimistic about Windows 8. Seems like it's trying to reduce all PCs to a tablet, which are great readers and I/O devices, but not what I want in a fully functional computer.

I'm still running Win XP x32, and aside from the 3.5 GB memory limitation and the lack of Direct X 10+, it's the best OS to date. No viruses since it's so old, no blue screens since I have no malware/junkware. It runs lighting fast cause I can restore my 10 GB OS partition (C Drive) at any time. I even like the way the XP shell looks better than Vista, Win 7, or Win 8.

Microsoft really screwed the pooch with Vista because they decided that the end user didn't matter, only content providers did. They backed up a little in Windows 7, but not enough. Win 8 seems to just be jumping on the tablet/smartphone bandwagon.

It would be nice if Microsoft made a real successor to Windows XP that did real 64-bit/128-bit computing, supported the latest Direct X, and made real fixes like getting kill process to actually kill a process instead of asking it to terminate.

Still, aside from software development, games, MS Word, and Quicken 1995, I don't use my local system for anything but connecting to the Internet. Most of what we do is now done online. So, the OS doesn't matter so much as a nice, fast, consistent Internet connection.

10. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

10   10:01am Thu 17 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I'm not optimistic about Windows 8. Seems like it's trying to reduce all PCs to a tablet

Yeah, that is my big concern as well. I love my tablet and use it a lot more than I expected, but it is no replacement for my desktop system.

11. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

11   10:06am Thu 17 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

rootvg says

I rebuilt my tower last year and loaded Win7 on it. It's okay but should be a lot faster than it is, with the resources that are on it.

Specs? I have found Win7 to be a LOT faster than WinXP. Hell, my 5 year old laptop will go from cold-boot to browsing in Chrome in 38 seconds. The various Win7 eye candy elements and stuff are all turned on. I find that running NO anti-virus software, and using something like CCleaner to make sure that only essential startup processes are enabled keeps the computer super snappy.

12. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,444 comments

12   5:01pm Fri 18 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I love my tablet and use it a lot more than I expected, but it is no replacement for my desktop system.
    Well this is the opportunity that Microsoft has with Windows 8. You'll have the ability to switch between Metro (phone, tablet UI) and the Desktop GUI. Never the twain shall meet? At any rate, it'll be interesting to watch. Some folks don't have kind things to say about Metro: But at the heart of it, that’s what Metro is - it’s an initiative that’s telling us that we as developers don’t understand how to present information and its attendant tools.
    Metro is like going to a flashy restaurant where your plate is delivered with a tiny morsel of food in the middle, but the rest of the plate is unused.

13. seaside

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    697 comments
    Alexandria, VA

13   11:24pm Fri 18 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

.not a single blue screen and virtually zero hardware incompatibilities.

I got that blue screen few days ago while I was playing with a game called "how low can I go with CPU voltage" with my overclocked i5-760 system. That was like 1st time in two years. It was kind of refeshing, especially when I think about how many times I got that with win95 back then.

I cannot use some old stuffs I got from old computers. For example, old soundcards like Diamond monster 300 and Soundblaster Live 24. At least Win7 64bit does not provide drivers for them. My old epson scanner is recognised, but again, no driver provided. I was able to make it work by choosing a driver for one of the epson all-in-one model though.

EBGuy says

You'll have the ability to switch between Metro (phone, tablet UI) and the Desktop GUI.

I do not like this approach of MS. All-in-one stuffs look good, but usually are medicore at best in turms of the performance of each component. So, Multi platform win8 can be fantastic at both mobile and desktop? Can't say at this point of time. They should put unusual amount of effort and optimization before they start to sell it. Otherwise, they won't be able to open up my wallet. So, let's get fingers crossed.

14. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,444 comments

14   11:00am Mon 21 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

They should put unusual amount of effort and optimization before they start to sell it.
    That hasn't stopped MS in the past...
    Otherwise, they won't be able to open up my wallet.
    You just may get it for 'free' in your next phone. That doesn't mean you'll like it but...
    My heart says MS has to get it right with Windows 8 (they'll be no second chances) but my head says that desktop incumbency will still give them an opportunity with Windows 9 in the mobile/tablet space.

15. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,993 comments

15   11:23am Mon 21 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

seaside says

It was kind of refeshing, especially when I think about how many times I got that with win95 back then.

16. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,993 comments

16   11:31am Mon 21 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I just picked up Samsung Series 7 i7core 1TB 8gig laptop. My Dell's battery stopped recharging, the laptop was already 2 to 3 years old. I bought it when Windows 7 first came out. With my work, and the way I use my computer, I never reboot, just hibernate. I could loose weeks of work, if the plug was pulled from the computer, on a project I haven't hit saved on in a while. Or lose Scripts I might have in SSMS in the hundred tabs I have open at any given time. When I do reboot, a large portion of time, is me closing each window one by one, dismissing the ones I don't want, and saving the ones I do.

But to be hones, even though my last laptop was a dual core and only 3 gigs of memory, I don' t notice a huge difference yet. But I haven't committed to any development or multitasking on it yet.

17. ArtimusMaxtor

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    803 comments

17   1:08pm Mon 21 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

seaside says

I do not like this approach of MS. All-in-one stuffs look good, but usually are medicore at best in turms of the performance of each component.

The ultimate goal is in my opinion is to make the internet proprietary. Which means touch screen with little progamming on the part of individuals. So us everyday people will be limited in where and what we can say (thats already a fact and remember with Goodle at what? 640 points on fantasy swindel). Its just sooo popular. We know what happened of course. Things like facebook etc. You will plug into CNN or others like it. Simply I feel they think the internet is a mistake in that it allows to much to be said and to much interaction amoung strangers. Causing them way to much work trying to counter anything thats said that doesn't fit. Goodle after the invasion and information being relayed all over the world after Iraq. Go to a foreign website it translates alright. Cached web pages. They cache slop or little of information which type in blasto or turnip greens you get the same stuff back in many ways. It kind looks like only about 12 people use the internet in other countries. The pumping of Goodle everyone just had to have it was just to much a coincidence for my liking.

So if something nonsensical like a water tower blowing up in Bangor Maine happens and they change everything don't be suprised.

18. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,993 comments

18   2:13pm Mon 21 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

ArtimusMaxtor says

The ultimate goal is in my opinion is to make the internet proprietary.

That seems to be the stupid goal.

My wife just got an iPad, we've had an android phone for while, her family is in Peru on MSN. It boggles my mind, that all platforms can write a cheesy IRC chat application that communicates with MSN clients but not for the Video with out all parties downloading a third party solution that either may or may not work on all platforms.

With all of the bandwidth, technology and microfactors, it seems to me, the Internet is less cohesive today than it was back in '97.

jvolstad is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 159 milliseconds to create.