Obama vs Romney

By Dan8267   Follow   Thu, 24 May 2012, 2:51pm   3,930 views   28 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Viewing Comments 1-28 of 28     Last »     See most liked comments

1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    378 threads
    20,010 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   3:06pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I find that people who are convinced that it doesn't matter who you vote for are so invested in that reality that they dismiss all arguments that prove otherwise out of hand.

There are some similarities but there are also huge differences that matter for generations. There's no way Carter would have armed the Middle East like Reagan. Clinton alone prevented Roe v. Wade, prayer in schools, and creation "science" from being taught via his Supreme Court nominations. On the flip side, Bush is almost entirely to blame for the current deficit through war spending, huge reckless tax cuts, and a brand new multi-trillion dollar expansion to Medicare. (and Iraq) Gore would not have gone there.

These are not minor differences, they are fundamental to American life and our future. It's wrong headed to simply throw up your hands and assume Romney = Obama.

Romney will lower federal taxes on rich people to 0%. Obama wont.

2. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

2   3:08pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Ahhh... back when the Simpsons was funny, and still true today.

3. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

3   3:21pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

These are not minor differences, they are fundamental to American life and our future. It's wrong headed to simply throw up your hands and assume Romney = Obama.

Romney will lower federal taxes on rich people to 0%. Obama wont.

Yes, and this is why I may vote an entirely Democrat ticket for the first time ever.

Roe v. Wade, prayer in schools, and creation "science" are important issues, but they don't really matter. If the US gets turned into effectively a 3rd world country with a huge wealth disparity prayer and creationism is going to be the least of the worries for the public school system.

For the past 40ish years both parties seem to be marching this direction. Granted the Democrats are a lot slower in this process, what difference does another decade make if we are reaching the same place anyway?

I guess my hope is that things will move slowly enough with Democrats in power that people will wake-up and make changes. Unfortunately if the Democrats are in power when people wake then the change made will probably be to hand power to the Republicans, you know the ones who promise to fix this mess that happened under the Democrats...

4. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    2,475 comments
    32 male

4   3:47pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I can vote for romney or obama, and pretend that there are fundamental differences, however, as a pot smoker, I know that either of the two will name me the enemy and use their federal government to put me and mine in cages. Yea, I know, obama said he would leave well enough alone and let the states have the power to decide. That was during an election year. Now, in office, he seems to have flipped his stance. So long as the federal government has declared war on me and my people, the sick that need affordable medicine, they both look the same.

And oddly, AHA seems to have dissappeared from the news, how have the supreme court decided on its constitutionality? Don't see much difference there, as romney care and bama care seem sameish. And both move to make access to health care more difficult for us working poor. The insurance companies seem to like both candidates fairly equally.

The president is just a mouthpiece and puppet for TPTB. We ought be more worried about congress and the likelihood of complete repuke control of both senate and house.

I sleep good at night, and plan to keep it that way, so ill vote for some 3rd party or write myself in, no chance in hell am I endorsing either of these corporate stooge psycophants

5. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    2,475 comments
    32 male

5   3:52pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Clinton/gore ushered in the disgusting era of private prisons for profit. That wouldn't have happened with bush 1 2nd term.

I find it funny that iwog has done a 180. Not long ago, he said that the republicans didn't even need to run a candidate for presidency, because their best guy was already in the WH (speaking about obama). Now, the difference is night and day. How convenient

6. wil

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    8 comments

6   8:04pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Same thing, just more debt, we are at a level of debt that is insane, people just do not seem to care and our kids will pay an expensive price for this... I can only vote for the only one who says the truth as he sees it, the only ethical one. I'm tired of the corruption, bad lobbying and lies.

For me that will be Ron Paul or nothing. I just register as a republican in CA to vote for him for the primaries. We need some serious clean up, at least for 4 years.

Music:

More about Ron Paul:
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    http://www.dailypaul.com/
    http://www.ronpaul.com/

Festival:
    http://www.paulfestival.org/

He is the only one who care about the people the other just care about them self. Just read more about him.

$16 Trillions debt = $ 16,000,000,000,000.00 !!!!!

Check this out
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Ron Paul for 2012

w

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    378 threads
    20,010 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

7   8:30pm Thu 24 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

errc says

I can vote for romney or obama, and pretend that there are fundamental differences, however, as a pot smoker, I know that either of the two will name me the enemy and use their federal government to put me and mine in cages

This is the most ridiculous single issue to cast your vote on that I can comprehend.

First if all, pot is mostly legal already. There are still some hard restrictions on cultivation and dealing, but anyone can smoke a joint almost any time and almost anywhere as long as they are discreet about it.

However even if you think it should be legalized, that should NOT be the reason you vote for one candidate over the other. I want marijuana to be legal without restrictions, however if Romney came out tomorrow in favor of legalizing the drug, it wouldn't matter one bit. He's a bad choice.

8. wil

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    8 comments

8   11:32am Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

We are at war, but it is economical, just read more and hopefully you will wake up.

Please if you do not know the word Corporatocracy please read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatocracy

Ron Paul 2012

9. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    2,475 comments
    32 male

9   12:02pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

errc says

I can vote for romney or obama, and pretend that there are fundamental differences, however, as a pot smoker, I know that either of the two will name me the enemy and use their federal government to put me and mine in cages

This is the most ridiculous single issue to cast your vote on that I can comprehend.

First if all, pot is mostly legal already. There are still some hard restrictions on cultivation and dealing, but anyone can smoke a joint almost any time and almost anywhere as long as they are discreet about it.

However even if you think it should be legalized, that should NOT be the reason you vote for one candidate over the other. I want marijuana to be legal without restrictions, however if Romney came out tomorrow in favor of legalizing the drug, it wouldn't matter one bit. He's a bad choice.

What planet do you live on? I like reading iwog posts, you have posted some informative stuff on this forum over the years (been reading since 06 and back in the other forum with catvation and co). I disagree with much of your political opinions, but I like reading them. Did someone hack your account on this one though? Has got to be the most misinformed pile of crap I've ever read

Pot is mostly legal already?

Save for cultivation and distribution,,,,,well then how would any citizen acquire this all but legal plant?

I guess if I was rich and white, id have the same attitude, because the laws that keep me and mine in a constant state of terror and imprisonment with permissed home invasions and property seizures, don't apply to rich white guys. The lawyers that make the laws to keep us poor folk in prison over a plant we might choose to ingest for all its benefits, made sure to have an out. Just fork them over a couple thousand bucks and you can go back to smoking a joint anywhere at anytime you please. For someone like me, that results in being assualted, having my door kicked in, all my savings from my taxpaying job stolen, and the whole laundry list of fear and suffering we are left to "live" in. You ever had a gun jammed in the back of your head? Been put in handcuffs? Transported around from prison to court house in shackles with people that commit crimes agains other people? Been extorted by lawyers? Had thousands of dollars siezed from you? Had to watch your family suffer when all they need was for you to make some space in your salsa garden for them to get some free pain relief? My guess is no, so keep on piping about how stupid republicans are for not wanting two gays to be married, and remind me again how mine is "the most ridiculous issue one could ever vote on". Then in 2014, when you're calling obama a republican (again), remind me how dumb I am for not voting for him now to save myself from mitt rmoney

10. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    262 threads
    5,790 comments
    Davis, CA

10   12:06pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

wil says

Ron Paul 2012

Ron Paul would do nothing about Corporatocracy. Here's your hero:

11. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

11   1:04pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

Vicente says

We've all yelled out cloud. He's an asshole.

12. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

12   1:10pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

From wil's second video,
    I will not continue to trade my humanity for false heroism.
    - Unnamed sailor

I got an inspiration shiver from that statement. Damn. That's a good statement.

13. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

13   1:17pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Wil's first video seems to indicate that Hilary Clinton actually finally got some sense and might be qualified as a secretary of state despite her massive fuckup in approving the Patriot Act and the War. Maybe there's some hope for her, but I need to see her actively trying to stop the Obama administration from performing unethical and illegal acts before I can give her credit.

The third video illustrates exactly why the police, in any nation including our own, are not to be trusted and must be filmed at all times. Sadly, if a person actually invoked Florida's Stand Your Ground law and defended himself with lethal force against such criminal cops, the state would ignore the statue and probably not even let the jury hear such a defense.

14. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    378 threads
    20,010 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

14   2:06pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

errc says

I guess if I was rich and white, id have the same attitude, because the laws that keep me and mine in a constant state of terror and imprisonment with permissed home invasions and property seizures, don't apply to rich white guys. The lawyers that make the laws to keep us poor folk in prison over a plant we might choose to ingest for all its benefits, made sure to have an out.

Stop being a drama queen. I attended the Roger Waters Wall concert in Giants stadium a couple of weeks ago, and I saw thousands of happy people all smoking pot within police standing around everywhere and they were totally ignored.

I can get pot, you can get pot, anyone can get pot with very little risk of the horrors you listed and it's not only California. I think you're confusing the simple act of smoking pot with cultivation and sales. They aren't the same.

Anyway my point wasn't that I don't want to see marijuana legalized, I certainly do. My point is that you're crazy if this is #1 on your list. There are far more important issues to worry about.

15. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    2,475 comments
    32 male

15   2:27pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

How does one acquire pot without being able to cultivate or buy it?

The federal government is currently waging a war against pot smokers. I have been in prison for smoking dope. I've also had my door kicked in, gun to my head, and my assets siezed, because I'm not rich enoug, white enough, or politically privileged enough to be above the law. That and I don't believe in paying for protection by some extortionist\lawyer.

I agree with you, freedom from persecution and imprisonment is probably a silly issue to have atop ones list, but so long as my government is at war with me, kinda hard for me to support them any more then I'm already forced to. Btw, I don't live in the united states of california

16. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    2,475 comments
    32 male

16   2:31pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I don't want to see marijuana legalized. That means a whole swath of regulations to ensure that it costs 100x over fair market value. I want to see it decriminalized and treaed in the same regard as the rest of the plants I grow on my property

Its kinda like the fed govs approach to gambling right now. Its technically not all that illegal to place a wager persay, however, they make damn certain to box you in with rules so that if you have something worth taking, they can use the law to ruin you.

17. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

17   4:44pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

That means a whole swath of regulations to ensure that it costs 100x over fair market value.

The prohibition pot is now under probably increases the cost more than any government regulations.

errc says

I want to see it decriminalized and treaed in the same regard as the rest of the plants I grow on my property

That sounds legalized.

18. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

18   5:02pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

I've also had my door kicked in, gun to my head, and my assets siezed, because I'm not rich enoug, white enough, or politically privileged enough to be above the law.

White and rich can provide a little protection from this, but it is not a sure thing particularly if you are growing. Yes the rich part does help with the being able to pay a lawyer part.

errc says

Btw, I don't live in the united states of california

Iwog is correct that state law enforcement agencies in California are pretty lax when it comes to marijuana. A concert is one thing, but I would not recommend anyone smoking a joint as they walk past Lafayette police.

Sounds like you should move to Oakland.
    http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Oakland_Marijuana_Enforcement_a_Low_Priority,_Measure_Z_%28November_2004%29

iwog says

I can get pot, you can get pot, anyone can get pot with very little risk of the horrors you listed and it's not only California.

I don't have those connections these days. However, I could probably get pot but it may take me a few weeks to seal the deal. If I wanted to get some for any regular use I guess I would get a medical marijuana card.

19. jvolstad

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    1,102 threads
    1,466 comments
    San Antonio, TX
    jvolstad's website

19   6:59pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

I attended the Roger Waters Wall concert in Giants stadium a couple of weeks ago, and I saw thousands of happy people all smoking pot within police standing around everywhere and they were totally ignored.

People smoke pot in public here in the Bay Area? Oh Oh. Reefer madness!

20. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

20   7:17pm Fri 25 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

leoj707 says

errc says

I've also had my door kicked in, gun to my head, and my assets siezed, because I'm not rich enoug, white enough, or politically privileged enough to be above the law.

White and rich can provide a little protection from this, but it is not a sure thing particularly if you are growing.

Being white does not protect you from crooked cops. That's why every person, regardless of the social, political, ethnic background must rigorously defend the rights of all others, especially when it comes to police and military. This is why we must all insist that recording cops in public is protected by the First Amendment.

21. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,512 comments
    Monterey, CA

21   1:03am Sat 26 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Cloud says

One is known by ones enemies.

You don't say.

22. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,512 comments
    Monterey, CA

22   1:04am Sat 26 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Cloud says

Think any of the ass kissers in the media will report this hypocrisy?

Why not get on the blower to Fox news or any talk radio bullshitter?

23. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,512 comments
    Monterey, CA

23   1:25am Sat 26 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Cloud says

How much time and hard work do you think Dan put in finding that pic?

Nice come back Big. Fox News.

You have any sentences you'd like to string together?

Why bother? You wouldn't understand them.

And you keep banging on about the media, but there's no other major news network that is more biased and inaccurate than Fox. And last time I checked, that bias and inaccuracy wasn't slanted to the liberal side of things.

24. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

24   1:09pm Sat 26 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bigsby says

Cloud says

How much time and hard work do you think Dan put in finding that pic?

More leakage from cloud? How smart can a person be to ask such a dumb question when "that pic" was simply copy-n-pasted from the posting just above it? It doesn't take too many IQ points to figure out how much time I spent finding that pic: zero.

25. msilenus

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    8 threads
    345 comments

25   8:50pm Sat 26 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I don't understand how anyone who wouldn't buy a blood diamond can light up a joint and feel good about themselves. To participate in any illicit drug market right now is to be party to this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/23/us-mexico-drugs-zetas-idUSBRE84M0LT20120523

Even if the crap you're buying was produced locally, the market is pretty close to national. American demand for drugs translates cleanly into a supply of blood in Central America.

26. wil

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    8 comments

26   1:34pm Tue 29 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Vicente says

wil says

Ron Paul 2012

Ron Paul would do nothing about Corporatocracy. Here's your hero:

You are kidding right? Who dare tackling the FED issue against the status quo?
    are you following the news? He is the only one doing anything against Corporatocracy
    http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-05-14/ron-paul-end-the-fed-and-restore-sound-money/

The cloud is funny but the // is really bad. The dark cloud is made by us and it is $16 Trillions debt = $ 16,000,000,000,000.00 !!!!!
    If you think you can not do anything to solve the issue, this is sad.
    We are responsible of it by our past action/vote/decision and our future generation shall not have to pay for it.

27. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    262 threads
    5,790 comments
    Davis, CA

27   1:51pm Tue 29 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

wil says

You are kidding right? Who dare tackling the FED issue against the status quo?
    are you following the news? He is the only one doing anything against Corporatocracy

Yes I follow the news. Remind me of the bills Ron Paul has sponsored and garnered support for, to roll back Citizens United. Enact Glass-Steagall 2.0?

No, Ron Paul is on his steed named Liberty tilting at Fed windmills. His steed is also a Unicorn which will fart out an end to corporatocracy as a natural consequence without having to do any direct work toward that end. Or so we are told. Laws like we had in the old days which prevented this sort of nonsense, are just too DIRECT a method for him. All you have to do is join him Sancho, and winning the fair maiden is an INEVITABILITY! Despite the fact that's he SOOO hard-right on slashing taxation and regulation and enshrining property rights as the ONLY end-all-be-all way above any sort of public or common good.

I was a Libertarian for 2 decades. I'm familiar with all the arguments. They are BS. The lure of the collateral benefits are snake oil & shinola.

28. Honest Abe

Follow
    Befriend (41)
    108 threads
    1,839 comments

28   2:23pm Tue 29 May 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 116 milliseconds to create.