Restricted Discussions

By Patrick   Follow   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 3:55pm   1,639 views   19 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

On the suggestion of a user, I now allow Patrick.net Premium members to restrict comments on their discussions to other Premium members only.

It's totally optional and the default is to not restrict comments on a discussion. But if Premium users want to, they can eliminate trolls this way.

Viewing Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »     See most liked comments

1. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,429 comments
    32 male

1   4:09pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Pay to play. The other free forums I participate in that get the periodic outbreak of the "herpe trolls" from time to time, suggest that route

I'm not a fan, as an american I'm ok with tolerating others actions, and as an adult, I can always just ignore them

The greatest form of mind control, is self censorship of ideas

2. Randy H

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    44 threads
    4,602 comments
    Los Altos, CA

2   4:58pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It will be an interesting experiment. I like the Befriend or Ignore option, which is new since I've been last around. I'll have to experiment with that. I will say that eventually the trolls can get to you. Spirited debate is one thing but psychopathic malice is another. When I've seen problems is when someone can't stand the debate so they resort to less nobel courses of action.

3. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

3   5:01pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Sometimes trolls are fun. The Ron Paul troll is gone now....

:-(

(RON PAUL WHERE ARE YOUR TROLLS!!!!???)

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

4   5:07pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Ron Paul troll was actually a pretty nice guy, just obsessed with Ron Paul. Some of the other trolls have been really mean.

5. Sock Puppet Smasher

Follow
    Befriend
    4 comments

5   5:12pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

All that's left are a bunch of paid-for sophisticated sock puppets -- made to look and act like real people -- to "talk" to each other and push Communitarian political agendas. Don't you ever get bored over here, talking to yourself and pretending to be multiple "real" people?

How about a real career that's more fulfilling and less aligned with the Satanic set?

6. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

6   5:17pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wait, i can get paid to be annoying on the internet all day??

please tell me who will pay me for this, im doin it wrong.

7. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,429 comments
    32 male

7   5:31pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Sock Puppet Smasher says

All that's left are a bunch of paid-for sophisticated sock puppets -- made to look and act like real people -- to "talk" to each other and push Communitarian political agendas. Don't you ever get bored over here, talking to yourself and pretending to be multiple "real" people?

How about a real career that's more fulfilling and less aligned with the Satanic set?

Hilarious!

The Realtors are Liars guy was pretty funny. He'd wake up early in the morning and log onto patnet to quote one of iwogs posts and say "Good morning, liar". I don't even know why I thought/think that's funny,,,,I guess I admire the persistence of other lunatics. Well off, educated, serious people are beyond boring. We need the nutjobs mixed in to keep us alive.

This site has been chugging along just fine for years (I think I found it in 05?). It will still be here tomm.

I did like it best when there was this wordpress blog and the seperate forum. There's been "trolls" since day one, for the busy bodies that waste their time worrying about who the trolls are,,,,

8. Sock Puppet Smasher

Follow
    Befriend
    4 comments

8   5:47pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  9. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    860 threads
    2,145 comments

9   5:57pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Sock Puppet Smasher,
    On the link to mind control, it's not a problem for me. My mind wandered and never came back. I guess it's lost.

10. Sock Puppet Smasher

Follow
    Befriend
    4 comments

10   6:08pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I wonder if they play the "Star Spangled Banner" over the louspeakers for you folks over at CENTCOM, while you brandish your MetalGear software and portray yourselves as multiple people in forums such as this one. Then you go home and beat your wives/girlfriends/kids/dogs, because your no-talent job is worthless to most life forms, and spiritually corrupt.

Internal conflict going on inside yet? How about that drinking/drug problem?

11. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    118 threads
    18,265 comments

11   9:38pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I see that Randy is back. I shall delurk.

I like this Befriend or Ignore idea, now that trolls have evolved from the simple Marina Prime type.

12. Randy H

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    44 threads
    4,602 comments
    Los Altos, CA

12   10:01pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Marina Prime brings back some fond memories. I sometimes wonder what happened to all those circa 2004-5 bubble deniers?

13. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    118 threads
    18,265 comments

13   10:16pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

They became 2012-2013 bubble deniers?

But honestly, the market has become so strange. It is like a zombie injected with a strong dose of liquidity.

14. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,076 comments
    San Jose, CA

14   10:23pm Tue 10 Jul 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Peter P says

They became 2012-2013 bubble deniers?

But honestly, the market has become so strange. It is like a zombie injected with a strong dose of liquidity.

Yes, Worcestershire sauce!

15. CDon

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    493 comments

15   2:01pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick - why not have a "Premium" forum tab where only premium members can start discussions, and comment on those discussions?

I would suggest you keep the Premium forum visible by all, in the hopes it would do a few things.

1. Assuming the premium discusisons were worthwhile, it would incentivize others to become premium, just to be able to participate in the forum.

2. It could compel some people to go premium just to respond. For example, imagine Iwog on the premium forum saying something bullish, and doing so with relative impunity. This may get Dunross or Pazuzu/Duckhead so agitated that he feels compelled to register as premium just so that he can respond. Likewise, imagine Darryl/War/Realtors are Liars saying something so agitating that bullish posters become premium just to counter his nonsense.

3. In order to combat pure "trolling", instead of making premium $5 a month, do $30 for the first 6 months, then $5 a month thereafter. Imagine Melmakian or one of your oft banned trolls has paid the $30 to become premium. If so, I can imagine he will be on his best behavior for the first 6 months, less he get banned in month 3 and his last $15 goes to waste.

4. You can possibly migrate non-premium people to premium by "upgrading" them to premium for say a month. You could do this to encourage traffic on the premium tab such that people become used to it, see the value in it and (when their one month premium upgrade expires), they may feel more incentivized to pay to become premium once more.

Not sure any of this will work, but it may be worth a shot.

16. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

16   2:08pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

OK, that wouldn't be too hard to do, a couple of hours of work maybe. Worth a shot!

17. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,024 threads
    12,532 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

17   2:48pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

The Ron Paul troll was actually a pretty nice guy, just obsessed with Ron Paul. Some of the other trolls have been really mean.

How was the Ron Paul fanboy a troll? I think of a troll as someone who's being an ass just for the sake of pissing people off. A fanboy and a troll are totally different things.

18. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

18   3:03pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You're right, he wasn't really a troll.

I think of a troll as someone just trying entertain themselves by getting people angry. He wasn't doing that.

19. Vaticanus

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    80 threads
    1,266 comments

19   3:21pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Did u see Bruno, he had some fun at Paul's expense. That is no way to treat the good doctor. Most guys probably would not have been as nice as Dr. Paul was about it either.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 88 milliseconds to create.