« previous   misc   next »

Restricted Discussions

By Patrick   Follow   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 8:55am PDT   1,925 views   19 comments   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

On the suggestion of a user, I now allow Patrick.net Premium members to restrict comments on their discussions to other Premium members only.

It's totally optional and the default is to not restrict comments on a discussion. But if Premium users want to, they can eliminate trolls this way.

Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »

errc   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 9:09am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 1

Pay to play. The other free forums I participate in that get the periodic outbreak of the "herpe trolls" from time to time, suggest that route

I'm not a fan, as an american I'm ok with tolerating others actions, and as an adult, I can always just ignore them

The greatest form of mind control, is self censorship of ideas

Randy H   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 9:58am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

It will be an interesting experiment. I like the Befriend or Ignore option, which is new since I've been last around. I'll have to experiment with that. I will say that eventually the trolls can get to you. Spirited debate is one thing but psychopathic malice is another. When I've seen problems is when someone can't stand the debate so they resort to less nobel courses of action.

PockyClipsNow   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:01am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

Sometimes trolls are fun. The Ron Paul troll is gone now....

:-(

(RON PAUL WHERE ARE YOUR TROLLS!!!!???)

Patrick   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:07am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

The Ron Paul troll was actually a pretty nice guy, just obsessed with Ron Paul. Some of the other trolls have been really mean.

Sock Puppet Smasher   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:12am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

All that's left are a bunch of paid-for sophisticated sock puppets -- made to look and act like real people -- to "talk" to each other and push Communitarian political agendas. Don't you ever get bored over here, talking to yourself and pretending to be multiple "real" people?

How about a real career that's more fulfilling and less aligned with the Satanic set?

PockyClipsNow   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:17am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

wait, i can get paid to be annoying on the internet all day??

please tell me who will pay me for this, im doin it wrong.

errc   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:31am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 7

Sock Puppet Smasher says

All that's left are a bunch of paid-for sophisticated sock puppets -- made to look and act like real people -- to "talk" to each other and push Communitarian political agendas. Don't you ever get bored over here, talking to yourself and pretending to be multiple "real" people?

How about a real career that's more fulfilling and less aligned with the Satanic set?

Hilarious!

The Realtors are Liars guy was pretty funny. He'd wake up early in the morning and log onto patnet to quote one of iwogs posts and say "Good morning, liar". I don't even know why I thought/think that's funny,,,,I guess I admire the persistence of other lunatics. Well off, educated, serious people are beyond boring. We need the nutjobs mixed in to keep us alive.

This site has been chugging along just fine for years (I think I found it in 05?). It will still be here tomm.

I did like it best when there was this wordpress blog and the seperate forum. There's been "trolls" since day one, for the busy bodies that waste their time worrying about who the trolls are,,,,

Sock Puppet Smasher   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:47am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 8

Oh yes, so very "hilarious." And so very real at the same time. Sock puppet much?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120501-building-the-like-me-weapon

http://www.tgdaily.com/security-features/54733-us-military-says-metal-gear-sock-puppets-are-real

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/ciadisinfoinaction28mar05.shtml

http://www.crossroad.to/Excerpts/chronologies/mind-control.htm

http://www.alternet.org/media/83541

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/congressmen-seek-to-lift-propaganda-ban

HEY YOU   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 10:57am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

Sock Puppet Smasher,
On the link to mind control, it's not a problem for me. My mind wandered and never came back. I guess it's lost.

Sock Puppet Smasher   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 11:08am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 10

I wonder if they play the "Star Spangled Banner" over the louspeakers for you folks over at CENTCOM, while you brandish your MetalGear software and portray yourselves as multiple people in forums such as this one. Then you go home and beat your wives/girlfriends/kids/dogs, because your no-talent job is worthless to most life forms, and spiritually corrupt.

Internal conflict going on inside yet? How about that drinking/drug problem?

Peter P   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 2:38pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 11

I see that Randy is back. I shall delurk.

I like this Befriend or Ignore idea, now that trolls have evolved from the simple Marina Prime type.

Randy H   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 3:01pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Marina Prime brings back some fond memories. I sometimes wonder what happened to all those circa 2004-5 bubble deniers?

Peter P   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 3:16pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 13

They became 2012-2013 bubble deniers?

But honestly, the market has become so strange. It is like a zombie injected with a strong dose of liquidity.

New Renter   befriend   ignore   Tue, 10 Jul 2012, 3:23pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

Peter P says

They became 2012-2013 bubble deniers?

But honestly, the market has become so strange. It is like a zombie injected with a strong dose of liquidity.

Yes, Worcestershire sauce!

CDon   befriend   ignore   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 6:01am PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 15

Patrick - why not have a "Premium" forum tab where only premium members can start discussions, and comment on those discussions?

I would suggest you keep the Premium forum visible by all, in the hopes it would do a few things.

1. Assuming the premium discusisons were worthwhile, it would incentivize others to become premium, just to be able to participate in the forum.

2. It could compel some people to go premium just to respond. For example, imagine Iwog on the premium forum saying something bullish, and doing so with relative impunity. This may get Dunross or Pazuzu/Duckhead so agitated that he feels compelled to register as premium just so that he can respond. Likewise, imagine Darryl/War/Realtors are Liars saying something so agitating that bullish posters become premium just to counter his nonsense.

3. In order to combat pure "trolling", instead of making premium $5 a month, do $30 for the first 6 months, then $5 a month thereafter. Imagine Melmakian or one of your oft banned trolls has paid the $30 to become premium. If so, I can imagine he will be on his best behavior for the first 6 months, less he get banned in month 3 and his last $15 goes to waste.

4. You can possibly migrate non-premium people to premium by "upgrading" them to premium for say a month. You could do this to encourage traffic on the premium tab such that people become used to it, see the value in it and (when their one month premium upgrade expires), they may feel more incentivized to pay to become premium once more.

Not sure any of this will work, but it may be worth a shot.

Patrick   befriend   ignore   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 6:08am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

OK, that wouldn't be too hard to do, a couple of hours of work maybe. Worth a shot!

Dan8267   befriend   ignore   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 6:48am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 17

Patrick says

The Ron Paul troll was actually a pretty nice guy, just obsessed with Ron Paul. Some of the other trolls have been really mean.

How was the Ron Paul fanboy a troll? I think of a troll as someone who's being an ass just for the sake of pissing people off. A fanboy and a troll are totally different things.

Patrick   befriend   ignore   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 7:03am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 18

You're right, he wasn't really a troll.

I think of a troll as someone just trying entertain themselves by getting people angry. He wasn't doing that.

Vaticanus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 7:21am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

Did u see Bruno, he had some fun at Paul's expense. That is no way to treat the good doctor. Most guys probably would not have been as nice as Dr. Paul was about it either.

Email (Required, will not be visible)

Username (Just pick a name if you're new)

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net