Live In A Hotel

By Patrick   Follow   Mon, 1 Oct 2012, 4:44pm   1,044 views   5 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Hotels sometimes give reasonable deals to long-term tenants.

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/2010/10/think-could-live-in-hotel-pros-cons-living/

More alternatives to mortgage debt

Viewing Comments 1-5 of 5     Last »     See most liked comments

1. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

1   5:45am Tue 2 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Patrick says

Hotels sometimes give reasonable deals to long-term tenants.

You can live on a cruise ship with all the food you can eat for under $100 a day. Turn one trick a day and you're putting money in the bank.

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    515 threads
    3,088 comments

2   5:56am Tue 2 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

It is actually a viable option. In one of my gigs in the midwest, I stayed in one of the extended stay thingies for 700 bucks a month for 9 months. Free electricity, internet, stove, utensils, fridge and once a week maid service. All I had to pay for was laundry.

CA is probably a bit higher-though I once stayed in San Ramon for 5 months for 900+ -same deal-except the maid service was extra. Oh and a project in Atlanta , did the same for 800 bucks a month.

3. mdovell

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    28 threads
    783 comments

3   6:03am Tue 2 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Actually I'd say DON'T live in a hotel. In Mass that is what we end up doing with homeless people. We have a provision that we are required to house people. Shelters that I know of taken in almost anyone. Reason being is they are non profits and they reject any convicted arsonists and level 3 sex offenders. No one in their right mind would donate to a non profit that allows them in.

For an emergency sure a hotel can be ok. But with some that are homeless it just doesn't make sense. Without a full real kitchen it ends up being microwave meals. Hotels aren't exactly made for children so they might get loud and bored fast.

To the hotels they are making the same amount of money from the state and they don't care. But to those staying there they might. There are some areas that can be cheap on a seasonal basis...say a ski lodge in the summer.

4. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

4   9:26am Tue 2 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I took a vacation to CA about a year and a half ago. It was in March. Hotel rates were about $65-85 per night on average, even in the LA and SF suburbs. I didn't want anything fancy, I was just driving around the state and exploring. No, the hotels were not in dangerous locations.

I was thinking about how I was paying less for daily shelter than the locals...plus I got housekeeping services at no extra charge.

5. BayArea

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    57 threads
    400 comments
    Oakland, CA

5   9:53am Tue 2 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

My work colleague (VP of Engineering at a tech company in the South Bay) has been living out of a hotel for the past 6 months.

They gave him a sizable long term discount, clean his place every single day, provide him with toiletries, parking is included, wifi included, no water bill, no electricity bill, no cable TV bill, no gym membership, no HOA, no property tax, no yard work, no maintenance cost, restaurant and bar downstairs... and all for less than a 1 bedroom rental in that area.

We laugh about it since it was supposed to be temporary but it's become too good to leave. Eventually he wants to settle down, but for now he is staying put.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 49 milliseconds to create.