« previous   next »

For the chicken with everything

By Patrick   Follow   Wed, 17 Oct 2012, 7:29am PDT   2,340 views   19 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/christmasbook/fantasy.jsp?cid=CBF12_O5415&cidShots=m,a,b,c,z&r=cat44770736&rdesc=The%20Fantasy%20Gifts&pageName=Beau%20Coop&icid=CBF12_O5415

Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »

Princess   Wed, 17 Oct 2012, 8:16am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 1

A mere $100,000!

New Renter   Wed, 17 Oct 2012, 8:21am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 2

Of course within a day that$100k mansion will be covered with chicken poop...

Or duck poop. Who's to tell the difference :)

elliemae   Fri, 19 Oct 2012, 4:10pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

New Renter says

Of course within a day that$100k mansion will be covered with chicken poop...
Or duck poop. Who's to tell the difference :)

Obvious answer: the chickens...

My poor chickens had to live in a teeny (15x8) coop with an automatic waterer. They never had a clue that they didn't have a mansion.

Ceffer   Fri, 19 Oct 2012, 4:27pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

Looks like the perfect gift for the one percenter who has everything.

elliemae   Sat, 20 Oct 2012, 2:45pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

Ceffer says

I'm a one percenter... only the lowest one percent. Does that count?

justme   Sat, 20 Oct 2012, 6:32pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

Hmm, having chickens in the back yard is all the rage in Palo Alto (Fortress Bay Area) these days.

Has it gotten so big that Neiman-Marcus now wants to profit on the trend?

Are we going to see a bunch of crazy Palo Altans compete with each other about who has the highest status chicken coop?

(Oh, wait, they already did that.)

Patrick   Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 2:53am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

Yes, it does seem to be fashionable to keep chickens now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/dining/hatching-your-own-batch-of-eggs.html?pagewanted=all

New Renter   Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 6:25am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 8

Patrick says

Yes, it does seem to be fashionable to keep chickens now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/dining/hatching-your-own-batch-of-eggs.html?pagewanted=all

Beats keeping tigers. Or bears.

Dan8267   Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 10:15am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

elliemae says

Ceffer says

I'm a one percenter... only the lowest one percent. Does that count?

According to Romney, the lowest 47% don't count.

Dan8267   Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 10:18am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 10

Princess says

A mere $100,000!

Buy now or be forever priced out! Chick McMansions only go up in value!

elliemae   Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 5:45pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

Dan8267 says

How does a chicken qualify for a loan?

CaptainShuddup   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 1:12am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 12

We had Chickens when we first moved in our house two years ago.
The City posted a note on the door telling us to get rid of them. :(
That same week the neighbors in the back of us, went out of town for two weeks, and left a yapping dog in their back yard, that barked non stop 24 hours a day.
My Chickens never made a noise until feeding time, then they would cackle for a few minutes as they would establish pecking order. The rest of the time they were quiet and never made a peep.

errc   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 1:20am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

Decomplexify to survive

I think its hilarious that it seems to half bother some people, that others are into a reversion towards being minimalist, rather than participating with the rest of the consumerists in the rat race.

I would do chickens for eggs out back, but I'm pretty sure neighbors would bitch and I wouldn't want to have to beat the snot out of some loser that works for local govt that thinks they can waltz on my property and tell me what I can or cannot do.

Everything is an energy economics decision for me, and I can get free range, non grain fed, brown chicken eggs from my amish neighbors for 1.75 a dozen, so its not worth the time/energy/labor to do it myself

lostand confused   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 1:34am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

Well, they might have to be careful about letting the chicken cross the road. The police in Ridgecrest, CA ticket people whose chicken cross the road!!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1399766/posts

Patrick   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 2:07am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 15

CaptainShuddup says

The City posted a note on the door telling us to get rid of them. :(

When keeping chickens is against the law, only outlaws will keep chickens!

Dan8267   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 3:11am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 16

elliemae says

Dan8267 says

How does a chicken qualify for a loan?

Same way as everyone else. Lie about your income and assets and give them your paw print.

Most chickens have better credit scores than anyone who's bought in the past ten years anyway.

rdm   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 4:18am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 17

CaptainShuddup says

The rest of the time they were quiet and never made a peep.

I have two friends with chickens one has 8 the other 4. I get my eggs from the who has 8. The eggs are great. They make very little noise (no rosters) and the neighbors have no problem, in fact bring there children over to see "the birds". Back yard chickens are becoming very popular in the North Bay and many cities are making it legal.

37108605   Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 4:47am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 18

Dan8267 says

Princess says

A mere $100,000!

Is this why Neiman-Marcus is doing a line at Target! LOL

elliemae   Tue, 23 Oct 2012, 1:13am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

I had chickens, - they crowed in the morning just like roosters. Not as long, but certainly as loudly. I also was known in my neighborhood as the person who broke into neighbor's houses to deliver fresh eggs (I knew where the spare keys were).

Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net