Don't cosign your kid's loans without life insurance

By 033   Follow   Thu, 18 Oct 2012, 11:46pm   804 views   7 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Francisco Reynoso cosigned on over $160,000 in loans that allowed his son Freddy to attended Boston's Berklee College of Music in 2005. In 2008, his son died

"As a father, you'll do anything for your child,” Reynoso, an American citizen originally from Mexico, said through a translator. Reynoso is a gardener making $21,000 per year.

When Freddy died in 2008, Fransisco was left with a $160,000 debt amortizing to $271,000. He didn't understand that death didn't take care of it.

Life insurance would have helped a lot.

http://www.propublica.org/article/grieving-father-struggles-to-pay-dead-sons-student-loans

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. E-man

Follow
    Befriend (29)
    34 threads
    978 comments

1   12:01am Fri 19 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

"As a father, you'll do anything for your child." This is so true. I cannot argue with this statement.

2. 033

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    63 comments

2   12:18am Fri 19 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  3. EastCoastBubbleBoy

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    111 threads
    511 comments

3   6:31pm Fri 19 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

my parents took out a term life policy on me shortly after I went of to college... don't know how long of a term it was, but the loans that they cosigned on are long since paid off.

It's tough to think about, but you always need to do what you can to cover your bases. As Monty Python said... nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!

4. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

4   10:55am Sat 20 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dang. I worked with a technician who has bigtime PLUS payments. He told me that many of his neighbors in Salinas took out loans against their houses to pay for "stuff". They were foreclosed open and all of the vacant homes on his street brought down the value of his home and he still has the PLUS payments.
    Poor guy. I didn't have the heart to tell him too bad he didn't finance his kid's education with the equity loan then walked away like his neighbors did. Probably he thought of that one already.

5. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

5   12:09pm Sat 20 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EastCoastBubbleBoy says

my parents took out a term life policy on me shortly after I went of to college

Brilliant.

Everyone is an individual, and every individual's paths are individual. But so many people follow a path that includes a car expense, a partner, a childcare bill (or a single-income parenting responsibility), a need for educational expense for new dependents. Some of these paths may even include debt.

The time to get the term life policy is when we're healthy teenagers or young adults, when the premium will be cheap. Because of the typical arc of the typical life of the typical young person, that's when the insurance is most needed.

Call me stupid for not "thinking of it myself". Yes I am stupid. Every once in a while I read something on a blog that I am glad I learned. Thank you for sharing.

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,857 comments
    San Jose, CA

6   12:26pm Sat 20 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

over $160k for a degree in music?! How did he expect his kid to pay off those loans at all?

7. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

7   12:29pm Sat 20 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Renter,
    yes your snarkey comment is spot-on. But we can also learn from other people's mistakes.

033 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 43 milliseconds to create.