There's More To Real Estate Than Meets The Eye (Advertisement)

Insulting Users

By Patrick   Follow   Mon, 29 Oct 2012, 11:12am   4,823 views   65 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I have now banned "Darrell In Phoenix" who just can't seem to stop insulting other users. His latest comment was "Are you a realturd?"

I'm not a fan of realtors, but no sincere or useful discussion is possible with comments like that.

In real life, people don't act like that because of social inhibitions. No one will stick around to talk to you.

But on an anonymous forum, there is little penalty I guess, and so people are much ruder than they would be in real life.

Maybe the "Ignore" link should not be a Premium feature?

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 26-65 of 65     Last »     See most liked comments

1. errc

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    45 threads
    2,054 comments
    32 male

26   1:18pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

errc says

Its akin to blogging about the weather from anywherville planet earth and not specifying your location

People from different hemisphere making observations out their own window, arguing with one another and calling eachother liars,,,,its fucking juvenille and there's no code patrick can write that would force people to act like sensible adults

True! I can't find any technical solution that selects only for polite or at least well-reasoned comments, so I'm limited to just banning the worst offenders now and then.

It's a hard problem. Suggestions appreciated.

The community can only be as good as its participants make it. I don't need the ignore feature, if I'm so bothered by someone elses postings, I can pretend to be grown enough to simply ignore them on my own,,,,but for the most part, I find the niggling to be entertaining

2. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

27   1:30pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

I think the aliases button is great. Is it working yet?

You should make sure it identifies past alias as well as current ones so people can see the track record.

Yes, it works, but it just uses the most recent IP address, which I store with the other info about the user.

To make it use all past IP addresses would be harder. I'd have to create a new table just to track them IP addresses, and it hardly seems worthwhile since anyone who is determined could still evade detection of aliases by strictly using one address (say phone) for one identity, and another (say DSL) for the other identity.

So far it's not that exciting since most people don't have any aliases.

3. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,078 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

28   1:35pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

You should make sure it identifies past alias as well as current ones so people can see the track record.

You do realize that one of the other things that might help is for you do stop posting disingenuous charts that constantly have to be disproved before even getting into the meat of an argument.

It's your fault, and almost yours alone, that a character like Darrel inPhoenix is even spawned in the first place.

I know you're going to quibble about this because...well, that's what you do.

But really I just wanted to point out how much of an issue your postings are.

4. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

29   1:40pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Yeah, I agree with dodgerfanjohn.

Trolls wouldn't exist if they didn't have anyone to engage with, it takes two to tango.

5. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

30   2:00pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Oops, it was not working for people who started new threads. It was giving them the IP address of the Patrick.net server instead of their own address.

For those who care, the reason is that I was recording $_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'] when I should have been recording $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].

So there is a clump of people who all show up on the same alias page but actually have nothing to do with each other. Anyway, that will clear itself up as people post new threads and the right IP gets recorded.

6. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

31   2:03pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

BTW, I don't see any "disingenous" charts from iwog.

Maybe some can be disproved, but I don't think he's deliberately pretending that known false charts are true. That would be the definition of disingenuous.

7. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,489 comments

32   2:12pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

my only other aliases are iwog, robertoaribas, and Dan8267. I thought it would be best for me to come clean now that everything will soon be public.

of course I am kidding ... or am I???

8. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

33   2:16pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Maybe we are all just ONE user talking to ourselves, but unaware of it.

Or maybe I'm starting to lose it.

9. curious2

Follow
    Befriend
    91 threads
    3,801 comments

34   2:28pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

Maybe we are all just ONE user talking to ourselves, but unaware of it.

"just a dream in somebody's head...."

10. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,078 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

35   2:28pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

BTW, I don't see any "disingenous" charts from iwog.

Maybe some can be disproved, but I don't think he's deliberately pretending that known false charts are true. That would be the definition of disingenuous.

Cutting out specific portions of charts and citing them as long term trends is absolutely within the definition of disingenuous.

So is posting charts from known biased sources, especially when there is data available that is known to conflict with the biased site.

Finally, it's also disingenuous to post charts of micro markets and pass them off as representative of a state or nationwide trend.

Duck is guilty of all of the above.

11. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

36   3:29pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

When someone has a clear stake in the direction of prices

We all have a clear stake in housing prices. Holy fuck, what do you want? If they fell the way you would like them too, EVERYONE would be screwed.

12. pazuzu

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    195 comments

37   3:31pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

"...If they fell the way you would like them too, EVERYONE would be screwed."

Totally ass backward.

13. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

38   3:34pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

pazuzu says

Totally ass backward.

Really, you don't think if prices fell another 60% we wouldn't all be screwed?

I am not hoping for another bubble and I doubt prices will rise much if at all over the next 10 years, but this moronic wish that peoples lives will be upended - there homes value to plummet - is fucking nuts.

14. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

39   3:37pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

stop your silliness.

Prices have already fallen back 10 years in most places. What the fuck do you want? Is is just about you not be able to afford a house or do you just like to see families suffer?

It is one thing to predict prices will go lower. In some markets they may, a little. It is quite another to wish for it in the extreme (60% is a common number here) so that it royally fucks the economy.

15. zesta

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    250 comments

40   3:44pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dodgerfanjohn says

Cutting out specific portions of charts and citing them as long term trends is absolutely within the definition of disingenuous.

So is posting charts from known biased sources, especially when there is data available that is known to conflict with the biased site.

Finally, it's also disingenuous to post charts of micro markets and pass them off as representative of a state or nationwide trend.

Honesty, you described "Darrel in Phoenix/LiarWatch" perfectly in his post above.

One thing I'd have to give IWOG and Roberto credit for is not hiding behind anonymity. On an internet message board, that goes a long way and takes some balls, especially given the obsessive symptoms exhibited by some posters.

16. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

41   3:47pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

LiarWatch says

rooemoore says

rices have already fallen back 10 years in most places.

2004 prices are NOT realistic.

And again, if you don't think prices are going much lower, you're in for the ride of your life. And no..... a 50% price cut will accelerate the economy like nothing else. No different than a 50% reduction in fuel prices.

You need to think before you post.

Oh I see how it works now. So if businesses pay employees 50% less, that is good too. Or if people work 50% less that is great for the economy.

If housing fell 50% many, many families would go bankrupt. They would spend less, buying only the very basic things they need. This would crash the economy and unemployment would rise.

And guess what? Fuel prices would go down.

Buddy, I am not going to engage you anymore. I don't know what your game is, but I know you don't understand simple economics so arguing with you is pointless.

17. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

42   3:51pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

zesta says

IWOG and Roberto credit for is not hiding behind anonymity.

These two have multiple usernames.

No, they don't have multiple usernames.

18. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

43   3:58pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

pazuzu says

Totally ass backward.

I agree, it's very wrong.

I think everyone would be far better off if prices plummeted. Only the banks would be screwed.

Just think about it: you could afford a much better house with much less work if prices were far lower. The loss on any current house you own would be more than made up for in the price reduction on your new place.

19. pazuzu

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    195 comments

44   4:13pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

"I think everyone would be far better off if prices plummeted. Only the banks would be screwed."

+ people in the future are going to need lower house prices even more as their incomes will be drastically diminished.

We have to stop, our bank toady government "officials" from bailing the banksters out next time. Put them out in the street, in prison, etc...

20. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

45   4:23pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

pazuzu says

Totally ass backward.

I agree, it's very wrong.

I think everyone would be far better off if prices plummeted. Only the banks would be screwed.

Just think about it: you could afford a much better house with much less work if prices were far lower. The loss on any current house you own would be more than made up for in the price reduction on your new place.

The economic naivete on this site is something to behold.

If prices "plummeted" unemployment would rise dramatically. Explain how that is a good thing.

How about prices remain stable, the economy slowly grows and wages go up?

21. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

46   4:32pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

rooemoore says

If prices "plummeted" unemployment would rise dramatically.

I don't see how that follows.

Unemployment should be relatively independent of house prices.

22. pazuzu

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    195 comments

47   4:38pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Normally unemployment is not tied to house prices, but during the obscene housing bubble the sector grew out of all proportion to its value to society.

During this period an excessive amount of people swelled the ranks of the REIC. Now many of them are out of work, but that's just the aftermath of the malinvestment.

Too bad they chose the way of greed and spent so much time doing unproductive things, hopefully many of them have other skills.

23. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

48   4:41pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

rooemoore says

Not when they "plummet".

When housing prices "plummet" people spend less money. LOTS less money. What do you think happens to businesses when people spend lots less money?

Then there is the nasty little fact that many families - you know, moms and dads and kids - will lose there homes. I know many here would say "fools - they shouldn't have bought a house in 2004!" Heartless bastards.

We need stability with steady economic growth.

24. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

49   4:43pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yup says

rooemoore says

Prices have already fallen back 10 years in most places. What the fuck do you want? Is is just about you not be able to afford a house or do you just like to see families suffer?

Do you have any idea what the median wage is in this country? A little more than $26,000. It is suffering buying an inflated home and going into debt slavery. With wages at that level home prices have a long way to go.

Yes, and if prices plummet the wage plummet with them.

25. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,078 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

50   5:24pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

rooemoore says

Patrick says

rooemoore says

Not when they "plummet".

When housing prices "plummet" people spend less money. LOTS less money. What do you think happens to businesses when people spend lots less money?

Then there is the nasty little fact that many families - you know, moms and dads and kids - will lose there homes. I know many here would say "fools - they shouldn't have bought a house in 2004!" Heartless bastards.

We need stability with steady economic growth.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If my housing costs decreased, I'd spend more AND save more. Does my income magically evaporate if my housing costs decrease?

26. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (48)
    317 threads
    16,991 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

51   6:10pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

dodgerfanjohn says

Duck is guilty of all of the above.

Your lack of examples totally destroy any point you are trying to make.

My suggestion would be you use specific instances with links combined with data you consider credible. Otherwise you're just trolling.

BTW the only way I could be posting charts of micro markets trying to pass them off as a nationwide trend would be if I failed to label the location the data was intended to cover. Have I ever done that?

No I don't think so.

27. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (48)
    317 threads
    16,991 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

52   6:11pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

LiarWatch says

Patrick says

No, they don't have multiple usernames.

Yes they do.

LOL

28. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

53   6:21pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dodgerfanjohn says

This doesn't make any sense at all. If my housing costs decreased, I'd spend more AND save more. Does my income magically evaporate if my housing costs decrease?

If housing prices "plummet" in the order of 60% which is what I was referencing, then yes, your income would most likely decrease. All those owners who either bought in the last 10 years or refinanced to put their kids through college would be even more screwed than they already are. They would spend a lot less or perhaps go bankrupt. That would fuck the economy and any hope of reducing the deficit.

I can't believe I have to explain this when it just happened to our economy.

To recap. Bubbles bad, crashes bad. Stability good.

See fucking Spot run!

29. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    255 threads
    3,075 comments
    San Francisco, CA

54   6:26pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

rooemoore says

dodgerfanjohn says

If housing prices "plummet" in the order of 60% which is what I was referencing, then yes, your income would most likely decrease. All those owners who either bought in the last 10 years or refinanced to put their kids through college would be even more screwed than they already are. They would spend a lot less or perhaps go bankrupt. That would fuck the economy and any hope of reducing the deficit.

I can't believe I have to explain this when it just happened to our economy.

To recap. Bubbles bad, crashes bad. Stability good.

See fucking Spot run!

If house prices fall to a level where people can buy either cash or be mortgage-free in a very short time then they actually own a dependable asset they can use safely as live and workspace, plus they can use leftover money that doesn't go into an inflated mortgage for other investments/ventures - I almost only see benefits. It is not about the actual sum of the purchase price but about how affordable that sum is. If current homeowners are "screwed" by such action it means they shouldn't have bought in the first place. Never invest money you cannot afford to lose, entirely.

30. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,078 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

55   6:42pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Iwog,it must totally lie beyond your grasp that postings have been dredged up this week displaying you doing exactly what I stated, from over two years ago.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend hours scouring and linking posts just to prove a point to random people on the Internet.

Don't troll a troll, son.

As to the housing prices dropping = my income drops...you're gonna have to do a better job explaining that one.

31. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (48)
    317 threads
    16,991 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

56   6:44pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

dodgerfanjohn says

Iwog,it must totally lie beyond your grasp that postings have been dredged up this week displaying you doing exactly what I stated, from over two years ago.

Yup except you're wrong and making shit up. When someone disagrees with you on something that was posted, it is customary to provide a link so people can see if you are lying or not.

dodgerfanjohn says

Anyway, I'm not going to spend hours scouring and linking posts just to prove a point to random people on the Internet.

Which proves just how credible you are. You'll make accusations and then run when asked to prove them.

32. curious2

Follow
    Befriend
    91 threads
    3,801 comments

57   7:29pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I have a question about Aliases. Melmakian started five threads, all today, all about politics with weird non-logic apparently designed to fight for attention. Others are calling him/her Shrek. I clicked Aliases, and found none. Is Melmakian Shrek, and if so is there a way for Aliases to include name changes? I suspect name changes may in some instances be motivated to bypass the human 'ignore' feature. (I understand the official Ignore feature would follow the account regardless of name, but the human version can be fooled by a new name.)

33. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

58   9:18pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

Is Melmakian Shrek

Yes.

curious2 says

is there a way for Aliases to include name changes?

Yes, aliases should show up even if the name is changed, because it's just a list of users with the same IP address.

But in the case of Shrek, I actually removed his previous account, so there is no alias to find. I probably should not have done that.

34. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    443 threads
    7,497 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website

59   9:30pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

A friend of mine was a participant on a military-type board - he was condescending and rude toward another user and received two warnings.

Couldn't keep his mouth (fingers) shut; he's banned for a year.

35. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,610 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

60   10:12pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I like it.

36. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (48)
    317 threads
    16,991 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

61   6:11pm Fri 2 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Melmakian says

Patrick says

I probably should not have done that.

Yeah, it makes it way more difficult for Iwog to libel me w/o having any previous entries to mischaracterize.

Please link the last time I mischaracterized or even paraphrased something you said and has since been deleted.

My belief is that this particular complaint is entirely fictional. Prove me wrong.

37. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    443 threads
    7,497 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website

62   9:54am Sun 4 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

My belief is that this particular complaint is entirely fictional. Prove me wrong.

Iwog, you may be misunderestimating him...

38. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    311 threads
    8,572 comments

63   5:45am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Can't we all be snuggy and agree that CANNIBAL ANARCHY is inevitable?

39. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    443 threads
    7,497 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website

64   6:02am Tue 6 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

In fact Iwog seems to miss alot.

It was a George Bushism. It ain't a word.

40. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    443 threads
    7,497 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website

65   6:02am Tue 6 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Can't we all be snuggy and agree that CANNIBAL ANARCHY is inevitable?

Snuggy? hmmm, is that a sword, or are you happy to see me?

« First     « Previous comments    

Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 237 milliseconds to create.