Celebratory gunfire at Saudi wedding cuts cable, 23 electrocuted

By zzyzzx   Follow   Wed, 31 Oct 2012, 12:01pm   572 views   3 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://news.yahoo.com/celebratory-gunfire-saudi-wedding-cuts-cable-23-electrocuted-091141411.html

Commentary at article site is pretty good too.

A photograph of the aftermath of the accident, published on local newspapers' websites showed a large courtyard strewn with fallen chairs and a pole in the middle supporting cables carrying lightbulbs. All those killed were from the same tribe, Khashman said. Thirty others were injured in the incident near Abqaiq, a center of the Saudi energy industry.

Viewing Comments 1-3 of 3     Last »     See most liked comments

1. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    106 threads
    4,061 comments

1   12:05pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I've always wondered why people shoot guns into the air, and how many get injured or killed. It seems to be a Muslim thing, judgment distorted by too much testosterone, the casualties being the will of Allah.

You're right the commentary was good, including:

Darwin award

Allah 0 Tesla 23

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Harlan Ellison: "The most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

2. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    455 threads
    7,647 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

2   9:47pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

I haven't even made it to the article. The sidebar headlines include:

headlines say

Did Mitt Romney suggest eliminating FEMA?

Why, yes - he did. About a year ago he suggested sending FEMA back to the states and/or the private sector. His campaign is trying to spin it differently, but the abstract has met reality. Fail.

headlines say

Should Romney's comments about defunding FEMA matter?

Only if he's being considered to run the country. Oops... guess they matter.

headlines say

Bush's FEMA Director criticizes Obama for response to Sandy being too speedy.

Really? I didn't check to see which FEMA Czar it was, but he's doing a heckuva job criticizing Obama. Karl Rove should be proud.

The article is awesome, too.

3. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    106 threads
    4,061 comments

3   10:38pm Wed 31 Oct 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Thanks Elliemae for the sidebars, now back to the OT: weddings that deserve Darwin Awards! ZZ's Saudi example follows one from Canada, also brought to us by Ellie:

Realtor bride drowns in wedding photo shoot near waterfall

http://patrick.net/forum/?p=1215758

Perhaps as a public service we at PatNet should draft a simple thank-you note that can be e-mailed on these joyous occasions. I feel especially thankful not to have been invited to the Saudi wedding, for example.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 34 milliseconds to create.