Shiller: Housing Market Could Take 50 Years Of Inflation To Reach Bubble Prices

By Patrick   Follow   Sun, 4 Nov 2012, 7:13pm   1,980 views   15 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49623744

“It can get big as it was again maybe in 50 years. This housing bubble was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, I imagine,” Shiller said

Viewing Comments 1-15 of 15     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

1   9:27pm Sun 4 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Well Tulips never bubbled again in Europe, but who knows?

2. theoakman

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    790 comments

2   6:13am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Goran_K says

Well Tulips never bubbled again in Europe, but who knows?

real estate has bubbled about a dozen times since the beginning of this country. It always does because people are always obsessed with land. Whenever the credit system expands more than it should, regardless of the reason (stock market, railroads, Nasdaq), real estate bubbles along with it.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    840 threads
    7,120 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   6:22am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

50 years is a nice round number that sounds like something that people pulled off the top of their head and didn't calculate.

4. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,618 comments

4   7:43am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

While Shiller is very good at analyzing after the fact data and making references to it, his crystal ball has quite a few cracks in it. His predictions of the bottom and near future really suck.

5. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

5   8:13am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

theoakman says

real estate has bubbled about a dozen times since the beginning of this country.

I think you're ignoring a basic concept sometimes referred to as magnitude.

6. FunTime

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    65 threads
    1,223 comments
    San Francisco, CA

6   9:43am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

upisdown says

While Shiller is very good at analyzing after the fact data and making references to it, his crystal ball has quite a few cracks in it. His predictions of the bottom and near future really suck.

You're not paying attention. Shiller doesn't make predictions and almost always says in interviews that he doesn't know the future. His statements are, more than not, connected with past data. He knows the past data doesn't predict the future, which is why he says words like "likely" or "probably." Those words suggest statistics.

7. BoomAndBustCycle

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    492 comments

7   9:45am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

Nonsense.

The Great Housing Fraud of 1996-2012 was a once in history event.

So you just called a bottom in 2012? The fraud is over.. nice!

8. theoakman

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    790 comments

8   10:34am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Goran_K says

theoakman says

real estate has bubbled about a dozen times since the beginning of this country.

I didn't say anything about magnitude of the rise jerk off. Maybe you can post the same chart another 5 years straight.

9. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

9   11:59am Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

theoakman says

I didn't say anything about magnitude of the rise jerk off. Maybe you can post the same chart another 5 years straight.

I think that was what was missing from your post (didn't mean to offend). Sure there have been bubbles, but none quite like the 2000s housing bubble. It's a once in a life time type of event (which was Shiller's point in case you missed it). I'm just disappointed it had to happen during my life time.

10. P N Dr Lo R

Follow
    Befriend
    57 threads
    423 comments

10   4:02pm Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Goran_K says

It's a once in a life time type of event (which was Shiller's point in case you missed it).

Just looking at the stratospheric height of that one graph compared to all the others throughout history should be enough to convince one of that!

11. Zakrajshek

Follow
    Befriend
    115 comments
    Chico, CA

11   7:37pm Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Other than war, I've not seen the level of misery that resulted from the housing bubble and bust; and all of it caused by a few greedy or incompetent people in banking and government.

12. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

12   10:41pm Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Goran_K says

theoakman says

more like deflation vs more recent inflation was common since the beginning of the nation. we had long long periods of falling prices on RE ....

13. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

13   10:47pm Mon 5 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Zakrajshek says

Other than war, I've not seen the level of misery that resulted from the housing bubble and bust; and all of it caused by a few greedy or incompetent people in banking and government.

this one is charming....

Rick Santelli Educates MSLSD's Chris Matthews

14. P N Dr Lo R

Follow
    Befriend
    57 threads
    423 comments

14   8:06am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Zakrajshek says

all of it caused by a few greedy or incompetent people in banking and government

...complicit with dishonest, greedy or incompetent home buyers.

15. 37108605

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,055 comments

15   8:10am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It just kills me that the country is so God damn in debt growing daily, Jan 1st is looming with potential economic disaster as a result, and? They fucking go for another round with this crew. By the time this crew is out this time around most Americans will be fortunate to be able to turn on lights in the dark.

More than ever now, they can take all real estate and its related fraud and shove it straight up their arse. They aren't taking me and my family down in debt with their real estate bullshite.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 92 milliseconds to create.