Fed Says Bond Buying May Exceed $600 Billion

By Patrick   Follow   Tue, 6 Nov 2012, 9:53pm   621 views   7 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-06/fed-s-williams-says-bond-buying-may-exceed-600-billion.html?source=Patrick.net

Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco President John Williams said the central bank may buy more than $600 billion in bonds by extending its third round of quantitative easing well into next year. The Federal Open Market Committee last month affirmed its decision in September to buy $40 billion of mortgage-backed securities each month without specifying the total size or duration of the purchases. Williams, who holds a vote on policy this year, was among the first Fed officials to advocate open- ended bond buying. It should be at least that big but I would think it would probably be...

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

1   10:26pm Tue 6 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

More insanity. I wish that people understood that a society that requires constant growth to maintain a quality of life is 100%, certifiably unsustainable. Growth is an exponential function, and we live on a finite planet. Our leadership, if you can call the Fed that, is an utter failure in that they insist on telling people the same sorry fairy tales to maintain this temporary status quo rather than addressing long-term solutions.

It is particularly unsurprising that a Fed official that lives in an area with some of the most overpriced real estate wants to take measures to blow it up further.

I think that the US's housing bears and analysts have grossly underestimated the lengths that the central banking nexus can and will go to to blow up real estate (I certainly did!). It has certainly taken me by surprise. So, it looks like Roberto & Iwog made the right choice for now, and probably into the next 5+ years. With tonight's Obama victory, I think that housing will only continue to inflate relative to mean incomes as new debt-enslavement products are introduced in the further perversion of the word, "affordability". At this point I would be happy if everyone just stopped calling it a housing "market" and started calling it what it is, the "housing autocracy."

2. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

2   7:26am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Terrorist.

3. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

3   8:45am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

More insanity. I wish that people understood that a society that requires constant growth to maintain a quality of life is 100%, certifiably unsustainable. Growth is an exponential function, and we live on a finite planet.

With further extraction of resources less viable. And the real industrial production shifted to slave plantations overseas. The new push for the script printers is clearly control of the place where you do the one thing that you can't not do: lie down to sleep.

4. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,286 comments
    San Francisco, CA

4   8:50am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

SFace says

I guess with Obama reelected, the biggest takeaway is more bernanke.

Unfortunately so.

5. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,952 comments
    Bellingham, WA

5   9:18am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Fed's providing some mitigation for the damage the House is doing now.

Here's a chart of real gov't spending:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=czc

annual % expansion, since 1970:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=czd

1980s were pretty good, with 5%+ spending expansion

2000s, same thing.

Both those decades had massive consumer credit expansions, too, which made things pretty happy for everyone (until the bubbles burst in 1989 and 2008).

We need to cut spending $500B/yr, raise taxes $500B/yr, and pray for $500B/yr in "a bigger economy" to cover the rest.

And this doesn't even count how we need to increase taxes a lot more to cover the baby boom retirement's cost. We can't borrow that, we're borrowing enough to keep afloat as it is. We can print it, but that way lies Zimbabwe eventually, I think.

But as mentioned above, real estate doesn't appear to be a horrible hedge against continued insanity. Chances are we're going to print and not 'eat our peas'.

6. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    2,987 comments

6   10:55am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

certifiably unsustainable

Life will really suck, like a third world country - like it or not.

bmwman91 says

At this point I would be happy if everyone just stopped calling it a housing "market" and started calling it what it is, the "housing autocracy."

Debt nation. It is has become a culture for generations.

7. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

7   8:36pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Our present Washington/real estate/banking/wall street crowd is like having doctors and paying them to treat a minor ailment. Then realizing they took life insurance out on you and infected you with an incurable disease.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 110 milliseconds to create.