The world celebrates Obama win

By iwog   Follow   Wed, 7 Nov 2012, 10:21am   1,258 views   26 comments
In Lafayette CA 94549   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

If you turn on AM radio for 5 minutes, you'll find some moron preaching how Obama has destroyed our image in the world and how Obama's international incompetence is costing the United States prestige and power.

That's bullshit mountain. Here's a clip from the real world:

In Foreign Press, Cheers for an Obama Win and 'Olympic Levels of Schadenfraude' for Romney

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-07/an-obama-win-and-olympic-levels-of-schadenfraude-for-foreign-press

Viewing Comments 1-26 of 26     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    712 threads
    9,851 comments

1   10:40am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

'cept that's an American at the US embassy.

2. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

2   10:41am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

That's bullshit mountain. Here's a clip from the real world:

you only quote Left Wing Euro papers.. how convenient.

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    712 threads
    9,851 comments

3   10:47am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

This guy celebrated by creating a sand sculpture of O.J. Simpson.

4. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

4   10:50am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I pity the Spanish papers who said..

"Spain’s El Pais had an article highlighting the role of Hispanic voters, entitled: “Hispanics Decisive in the Reelection of Obama.” Citing exit polls showing Obama had won 75 percent of Hispanic votes, the article read: “Election night showed that any candidate aspiring to the presidency must have them on his side.”

There are many native Californians with Hispanic legacy often ignored by the left wing media because they are not only Conservative.. but they dont consider themselves as any different from Anglo nor do they speak Spanish or easily drop into some ethnic category voting block.

5. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,797 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

5   10:51am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

you only quote Left Wing Euro papers.. how convenient.

Actually I quoted Businessweek, a well known liberal rag.

6. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

6   10:55am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Actually I quoted Businessweek, a well known liberal rag.

and BW quoted the left wing nut jobs...
    BW is Bloomberg Press.
    The real BW died out years ago.

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,797 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

7   10:58am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

and BW quoted the left wing nut jobs...
    BW is Bloomberg Press.
    The real BW died out years ago.

Do you know what I would do in your situation? I would find some foreign newspaper accounts that contradicted Businessweek and supported your (assumed) point that Obama is bad for foreign relations.

Either you don't know how to do that, or you can't do that because once again this is just another trip up bullshit mountain and your alternate reality.

8. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    50 threads
    3,630 comments

8   11:10am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I see no need to argue today. We won. Ta-da!

9. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

9   11:12am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I love Stewart's "Bullshit Mountain" thing.

Too bad the 2010 wave election gave the Republicans the power to gerrymander things, it's going to take a long time to undo this damage to the system.

Not looking forward to what's cooking in DC, though. To actually solve our problems is going to take some real sacrifice.

Not something this country has been willing to do, not since 1994 if not earlier.

The Republicans are right that government is getting pretty big -- $6.5T in spending next year, that's an even $50,000 per job in this country.

How does that even work???

10. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    106 threads
    4,061 comments

10   11:21am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

How does that even work?

It doesn't. Spending will need to be cut, but priorities are lobby-driven. Jerry Brown returned to Sacramento expecting to cut wasteful spending, but then found he could only cut things that were actually needed. The most wasteful spending is the most protected, because the excess gets shared with lobbyists and patronage networks. It goes way beyond campaign finance, encompassing the revolving door and all sorts of side deals. (Legislator is invited to buy land near a future government project, votes for the project, makes $$$$ off the increased land value, etc.) This is one reason I think many supporters of ObamaCare are in for disappointment, because the promised subsidies will almost certainly be cut and yet the mandate will remain. It's also why I think the problems within the Republican party are in fact national problems: if the choice is between a patronage network and an apocalyptic cult, the country chooses the lesser of two evils, but that doesn't bode well.

11. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

11   11:37am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

because the promised subsidies will almost certainly be cut

The subsidies are indeed substantial . . .

If I gross $45,000 (about the maximum to still qualify for the subsidy), it's $3000 towards my health care.

At $25,000 income level, I'd get a $6,000 tax credit.

I think this economy can handle much higher taxation to pay for all of this, but getting there from here is going to be . . . interesting. Plus if they just raise my taxes $3000 to give me a $3000 tax credit what's the f'n pint . . .

Alas, the state level is just as screwed up as Federal if not more.

WA and CO were two of my bug-out regions . . . hmmm. Not that I want to become a pothead but I like states with a (left-)libertarian streak that don't have the disastrous financial future of CA.

12. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

12   11:41am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

oh, yeah, iwog, congrats on exceeding the 10,000 threshold!

Think I'll quit at 6,000, well, 6,001 now.

13. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,797 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

13   11:42am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

oh, yeah, iwog, congrats on exceeding the 10,000 threshold!

Think I'll quit at 6,000, well, 6,001 now.

Yikes. :(

14. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

14   11:44am Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Need to get some work done this year, LOL.

15. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    50 threads
    3,630 comments

15   12:57pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

your analysis is just about as ignorant as your predictions were... I voted obama, and I assure you, your dimes don't mean squat to me.

Want Democrats to win in 2016 and beyond? As long as those on the right keep right on spouting off the same old crap they've been doing- such as complaining about entitlements, blaming the "liberals" for their problems, using the outdated 1950's scare tactic of communism as a talking point, and coming up with bizarre conspiracies, then democrats will basically continue to win. So if some folks on the right want to continue rambling.... so be it. Its for the Democrat's benefit...

16. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    43 threads
    1,618 comments
    Dublin, CA

16   1:09pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

robertoaribas says

your analysis is just about as ignorant as your predictions were... I voted obama, and I assure you, your dimes don't mean squat to me.

Want Democrats to win in 2016 and beyond? As long as those on the right keep right on spouting off the same old crap they've been doing- such as complaining about entitlements, blaming the "liberals" for their problems, using the outdated 1950's scare tactic of communism as a talking point, and coming up with bizarre conspiracies, then democrats will basically continue to win. So if some folks on the right want to continue rambling.... so be it. Its for the Democrat's benefit...

That requires that they actually learn to think strategically which they have demonstrated trouble in. The election would have been closer electorally if Herman Cain ran compared to Mr Bain.

17. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,439 comments

17   1:16pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What a difference 8 years makes. Back then, it was the Dems scratching their head wondering "How the heck did we re-elect HIM!?"

18. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    50 threads
    3,630 comments

18   1:24pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dublin hillz says

That requires that they actually learn to think strategically which they have demonstrated trouble in. The election would have been closer electorally if Herman Cain ran compared to Mr Bain.

I was of course being a bit sarcastic. But in all seriousness, Republicans and their constituents need to have a serious conversation amongst themselves. The sort of typical right-winger drivel spewed over the air waves, on various blogs, and so on that we've been hearing for years is only appealing to a certain and narrow cross segment of the population: The people who voted for Romney last night. But that's the problem for them: there aren't enough of "them" to make a difference anymore. In the meantime that same sort of language is a big turn-off for everyone else, and in particular, the increasingly majority minority population that favors Democrats.

So in essence, whenever they start going on and on about communism, liberals, conspiracies, and so on, they're basically talking to themselves and that's not going to do anything other than ensure that they aren't going to win anymore elections until they decide to consider making some changes.

19. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

19   1:47pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EBGuy says

"How the heck did we re-elect HIM!?"

100,000 votes away in OH. Bush wanted to be the war president so it was tough booting him out in the middle of his war when hundreds of troops were getting whacked in Iraq each month.

Curiously, I see Obama got fewer votes this time around compared to Bush's 2004 showing. Past 8 years have been pretty shitty for Americans overall so I don't blame people for not voting for Kang or Kodos, really.

The real solutions are going to require some tough politics, and the system just isn't structured to go there yet, nor are the American people yet.

20. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

20   2:04pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

I don't want a president making irresponsible comments about Russia and China. We don't need to go out of our way to make enemies.

You mean the Govts in China and Russia somehow are unaware of the constant internet cyber warfare attacks that is being waged my their military and intel services against US, Western nations and our allies. At stake is the national security of many nations.

Your being naive. Harsh warnings should be made and they should be forced to deal with the consequences of their actions.

21. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

21   2:11pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

The people who voted for Romney last night. But that's the problem for them: there aren't enough of "them" to make a difference anymore. In the meantime that same sort of language is a big turn-off for everyone else, and in particular, the increasingly majority minority population that favors Democrats.

fairly close... 60m dem vs 57m gop...

so who are 'them"... no need to worry!

the older you get the more likely hood of many turning GOP..

YOU CAN NOT STOP TIME ! IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.

Heck even Obama by the time he reaches 60 may sound more like GW Bush!

22. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    106 threads
    4,061 comments

22   3:40pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

the older you get the more likely hood of many turning GOP..

That stopped being true when religious fanatics hijacked the GOP and turned it into a deficit-financed patronage network of holy warriors.

23. BoomAndBustCycle

Follow
    Befriend
    40 threads
    461 comments

23   3:55pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

Not something this country has been willing to do, not since 1994 if not earlier.

I don't know.. Los Angeles voted in a tax increase with PROP 30... I'd say that was a pretty selfless act for the sake of education.

24. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,929 comments
    Bellingham, WA

24   4:22pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

BoomAndBustCycle says

I'd say that was a pretty selfless act for the sake of education.

Thing is, 30's a stick-it-to-the-rich thing, other than the half-point rise in sales tax, which is $5 for every $1000 stuff you buy each year.

The Republicans have arrayed themselves against such "class warfare" on the "job creators".

Dunno what's going to happen with the current status quo heading towards the fiscal cliff. Tough reading those tea leaves.

25. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    106 threads
    4,061 comments

25   5:50pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

Dunno what's going to happen with the current status quo heading towards the fiscal cliff. Tough reading those tea leaves.

If history is any guide, the sequence will be (1) kick the can down the road, (2) blame the other side.

26. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,275 comments
    Monterey, CA

26   6:06pm Wed 7 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Melmakian says

You want to use the fruits of some people's labor for other people's health care. Wasn't slavery abolished?

Are you laughing when you type shite like that?

Premium member iwog is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 199 milliseconds to create.