HOA Installs Radar, Issues Speeding Tickets

By zzyzzx   Follow   Wed, 7 Nov 2012, 11:51am   1,068 views   14 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/05/hoa-installs-radar-issues-speeding-tickets/

Drivers caught violating the max. 30 mph speed limit in the community will be subject for fines from anywhere from $15 to $100, depending on how fast they are driving.

If the violating driver is a visitor of the subdivision, their ticket will be given to whichever homeowner they are visiting at the time.

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. grendel

Follow
    Befriend
    54 comments
    Kenmore, WA

1   12:58am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

In England, when local residents don't like a speed enforcement camera, they sling a tire over the post that the camera is mounted on, pour some gas into the low spot, and set the thing on fire.

I could see a similar "solution" being useful here.

2. unstoppable

Follow
    Befriend
    9 threads
    87 comments
    Portland, OR

2   7:49am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

I am so confused by republicans and their love of gated communities. I thought they were supposed to be all about small government and liberty? Being told what color to paint your house and being fined for not mowing your lawn does not seem like the bastion of freedom.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   8:05am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

unstoppable says

I am so confused by republicans and their love of gated communities. I thought they were supposed to be all about small government and liberty? Being told what color to paint your house and being fined for not mowing your lawn does not seem like the bastion of freedom.

HOA's have nothing to do with politics.

Anyway, I was thinking that based upon this article, that if there is someone in this development that you hated, you could, in theory, speed through this neighborhood, then park on their driveway long enough for them to see you. Then drive away. You would have to do this when they were not home.

4. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

4   8:06am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I am also thinking that this article shows a new low for HOA's.

5. Trivial

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    41 comments

5   9:25am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Clearly the members of that HOA are in favor of the camera otherwise they could have voted against it.

I am not a fan of HOA, but it is not a dictatorship. If the members of the HOA are against something, they can definitely rally support from the other members to get rid of it.

6. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    162 threads
    5,355 comments

6   10:23am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Trivial says

Clearly the members of that HOA are in favor of the camera otherwise they could have voted against it.

I am not a fan of HOA, but it is not a dictatorship. If the members of the HOA are against something, they can definitely rally support from the other members to get rid of it.

Let me tell you about the HOA, and I live in one.

Either way it's just another layer of politics. It works well if you have like minded neighbors. Once you get too many spenders, it gets nasty.

7. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

7   10:54am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

SFace says

Probably there are kids on the street

You do know that if there are kids playing in the street, that's illegal and their parents should be punished. That's what back yards and parks are for.

8. grendel

Follow
    Befriend
    54 comments
    Kenmore, WA

8   11:00am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

SFace says

You do know that if there are kids playing in the street, that's illegal and their parents should be punished. That's what back yards and parks are for.

Actually, it's only illegal if the locality has adopted an ordinance prohibiting kids from playing in the street. Without such an ordinance, it is not illegal. Did you already look up the ordinance for this Colorado locality or were you um... speculating?

9. david1

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    790 comments
    33 male
    Fort Mill, SC

9   11:05am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I want to know what they are going to do with the money they collect in fines.

Next they will be hiring a security guard and buying a patrol car...

10. Ceffer

Follow
    Befriend
    14 threads
    3,273 comments
    Berkeley, CA

10   11:12am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

HOA who pay for their own streets can basically pass any binding rule they want on residents if the residents approve of the rules according the the covenants and restrictions.

The caveat is that such rules cannot conflict with city, county, state or federal ordinances, in which case the HOA rules are non-binding.

A HOA cannot, for instance, prevent residents from using satellite dishes, because federal laws specifically permit them.

HOA cannot enforce placing garbage cans in garages, for instance, if the garage contains the ventilation heat/air due to federal laws that prohibit placing garbage in proximity to ventilation systems.

If you want to defeat a HOA rule, just find a county, city, state of federal law it conflicts with. If you can't find any, you are out of luck.

11. unstoppable

Follow
    Befriend
    9 threads
    87 comments
    Portland, OR

11   11:16am Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

SFace says

Speaking as a city kid the streets are the best playground. Nothing like a game of street football where you shake your defender by jumping into the bed of a parked pickup, therefore executing the perfect post rout.
    When you live in a grid system with distributed traffic flows side streets are plenty safe for kids to muck about in.

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   12:00pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

grendel says

Actually, it's only illegal if the locality has adopted an ordinance prohibiting kids from playing in the street. Without such an ordinance, it is not illegal. Did you already look up the ordinance for this Colorado locality or were you um... speculating?

It's illegal in Baltimore City, where I live and have looked it up. It should be illegal everywhere.

13. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    864 threads
    2,166 comments

13   7:07pm Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

APOCALYPSEFUCK,
    What happens to those gated HOA communities when cannibal anarchy arrives?

14. Ceffer

Follow
    Befriend
    14 threads
    3,273 comments
    Berkeley, CA

14   7:59pm Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Those gates make great pikes for severed heads and discarded breast implants.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 152 milliseconds to create.