Anyone else watching SSD makers FIO, OCZ, STEC

By zzyzzx   Follow   Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 7:34am   879 views   10 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I've been watching OCZ and STEC crash and burn out of morbid curiosity. FIO has fared much better.

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

1   6:21am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

E-man says

I wouldn't touch OCZ and STEC.

I agree with that.

2. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

2   7:48am Thu 25 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FIO is a big holding of mine. Today was beautiful! Flash will replace the Seagates and Western Digitals of the world. It is not about "if", it is about "when". I see it already happening.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   11:40am Thu 25 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

FIO is a big holding of mine. Today was beautiful! Flash will replace the Seagates and Western Digitals of the world. It is not about "if", it is about "when". I see it already happening.

Where were you when this thing was $15/share recently???

4. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

4   11:50am Thu 25 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

Buying! Average price is down to $16 after following this company since its IPO. I will still buy going forward, as they are nicely placed to take down EMC, which is in denial about the end of the disk drive.

5. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

5   1:00pm Thu 25 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

With FIO I think you are thinking too small. A move from 15-20 is great, but really if these guys execute on the plan, both these points will look the same. FIO is a 1.9B market cap company taking on EMC which is a 48B. When this thing starts to shift, the growth will be amazing. Best case, then grow to 10B+ in the next 5 years, worst-case is they get bought out as EMC gets smart enough to feel the inevitable. Either way the shares do well. Yesterday's earnings was exactly what I needed to hear, and I am going to keep buying this baby, even if the momentum keeps going up over the next few weeks. I've been following flash since using EEPROMs at IBM, and I think we are there already. Toshiba and Samsung and now IBM (just announce 1B dedicated to Flash R&D), all believe it also.

6. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

6   6:39am Wed 8 May 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FIO 14.19 Down 3.80(21.17%) 9:37AM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/permalinks/entry.php/FIO;HPQid1829794/FIO;HPQ-Fusionio-plummets-after-resignations-of-CEO-Chief-Marketing-Officer

Fusion-io plummets after resignations of CEO, Chief Marketing Officer
    Shares of Fusion-io (FIO) are moving lower after the company announced that it’s CEO and President David Flynn, and it’s Chief Marketing Officer and co-founder Rick White, have resigned to pursue entrepreneurial investing activities. Flynn and White will both remain members of the board and will serve in advisory roles to the company for the next 12 months, Fusion-io stated. Shane Robison, who most recently served as Chief Strategy and Technology Officer of Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), has been named Chairman, CEO and President of Fusion-io, effective immediately. Fusion-io shares are down 24%, or $4.37, to $13.63 in pre-market trading.

7. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

7   9:50am Thu 9 May 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

You get another shot now. I just doubled down on this bad boy.

8. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

8   6:34am Mon 16 Jun 2014   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Been a while since anyone posted here...

OCZ went under.

FIO buyout as of today at $11.25/sh

http://247wallst.com/technology-3/2014/06/16/sandisk-buys-fusion-io-cheap-forced-losses-for-many-fusion-io-holders/

SanDisk Buys Fusion-io Cheap, Forced Losses for Many Fusion-io Holders

SanDisk Corp. has announced a definitive agreement to acquire Fusion-io Inc.. This combined the independent leader in flash storage solutions with a top developer of flash-based PCIe hardware and software solutions for enterprises and data centers.

Fusion-io was just featured over the weekend in our analyst upgrades of stocks under $10, and the buyout price is lower than the valuation that the analyst gave Fusion-io on its standalone valuation. Could this spark interest elsewhere?

Terms of the acquisition are for an all-cash buyout at $11.25 per Fusion-io share. The deal values the company at roughly $1.1 billion (net of cash assumed). SanDisk will fund the acquisition with cash available on its balance sheet.

SanDisk forecasts that the purchase of Fusion-io will accelerate its efforts to enable the flash-transformed data center and to help companies manage heavy data workloads better and at a lower cost.

The transaction has been approved by the boards of directors of both companies, but it is subject to customary closing conditions, such as regulatory clearance and a completion of the tender offer.

Be advised that many shareholders of Fusion-io will not be happy here. Not only is this under the independent value of $12.50 put on the company last week, this $11.50 cash buyout price is also under the consensus analyst price target of $11.88. Another issue is that Fusion-io was at $15 less than a year ago and was valued as high as $30 in parts of 2011 and in 2012.

This buyout is going to force many shareholder losses. You can expect the typical class-action law firms to get involved here. Whoops, the firm Andrews & Springer has already announced that it is seeking more cash for Fusion-io shareholders.

Like that is going to make any difference!

9. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

9   6:37am Mon 16 Jun 2014   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Note: stock is currently trading above the $11.25 buyout price!

10. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

10   5:01pm Fri 20 Jun 2014   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FIO Closed at 11.69, and up after hours!

Can any of you recall a buyout candidate trading about the offer like this before?

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 276 milliseconds to create.