Everyone now knows that Rasmussen was baised for Republicans......

By iwog   Follow   Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 1:39pm   749 views   11 comments
In Lafayette CA 94549   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

....but just how bad were they? Following are the last polls before the election released by Rasmussen for each swing state.

Source: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map_no_toss_ups.html

Florida
Rasmussen: Romney +2
Final tally: Even
Verdict: within the margin of error (barely)

Ohio
Rasmussen: Tie
Final Tally: Obama +2
Verdict: within the margin of error (barely)

Colorado
Rasmussen: Romney +3
Final Tally: Obama +4.7
Verdict: Massive Fail

Virginia
Rasmussen: Romney +2
Final Tally: Obama +3
Verdict: Pathetic

North Carolina
Rasmussen: Romney +6
Final Tally: Romney +2
Verdict: screwing up by 4 is actually good by Rasmussen standards

Iowa
Rasmussen: Romney +1
Final Tally: Obama +5.6
Verdict: Unbelievably wrong

Wisconsin
Rasmussen: tie
Final Tally: Obama +6.7
Verdict: Ridiculously stupid

New Hamster
Rasmussen: Obama +2
Final Tally: Obama +5.8
Verdict: Fail

Nevada
Rasmussen: Obama +2
Finaly Tally: Obama +6.6
Verdict: Fail

One interesting thing that supports my hypothesis of intentional bias was the states they got right. Rasmussen was on target in Pennsylvania and Indiana. They also got it right or even favored Obama by a point or two in some deep red states like Montana. The problem is that none of these were ever considered seriously in play, which makes me think that Rasmussen knew what it was doing and where it had to fake data to try and influence the election.

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    365 threads
    19,109 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   5:32pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

You know Shrek, it's odd that Rasmussen agrees almost perfectly with your prediction yet you say you didn't use Rasmussen numbers in your analysis.

That's quite a coincidence.

2. Automan Empire

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    544 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

2   6:54pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Zinnnggg!

Rasmussen was/is predictably biased to the right.

What I'm curious about is why Gallup went +5 beyond everyone else for Romney toward the end there?

Republicans, who 1-2 weeks becore dismissed Gallup as left-biased, suddenly took it as predigested wisdom and cause for gloating.

3. bdrasin

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    560 comments
    Alameda, CA

3   8:33pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Automan Empire says

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zinnnggg!

Rasmussen was/is predictably biased to the right.

What I'm curious about is why Gallup went +5 beyond everyone else for Romney toward the end there?

Republicans, who 1-2 weeks becore dismissed Gallup as left-biased, suddenly took it as predigested wisdom and cause for gloating.

Gallup has a pretty mixed track record from what I understand. Maybe they just really aren't that good, in spite of being a household name. Unlike Rasmussen they aren't always or predictably biased in favor of Republicans; their last poll in 2008 predicted an Obama win by 11(!) percent.

4. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    33 threads
    1,300 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

4   8:49pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IWOG is correct in his data, and may be correct in his analysis, even the conspiracy theory portion.

There is nothing to argue with here. Its clear that Rasmussen(and Gallup) used incorrect polling pools.

5. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    194 threads
    7,172 comments

5   6:33am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Automan Empire says

Bribes perhaps ?

Maybe the theory was that to really get the republican vote out in battleground states, they need to believe they can win ?

Or maybe they just have really bad models. It's gotta be complicated these days, accounting for young people who only have call phones, but also in say for example a state poll, how do they select the locations to get samples that will represent the entire state well ?

I think doing that requires either some significant guessing, or else a very complicated process that samples many different locations.

It's probably just us older people that see Gallop as a household name. Because they aren't very good any more.

6. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    365 threads
    19,109 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

6   10:12am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Gallup was middle of the pack for most of the year, then took a violent turn towards Romney near the end. I think they have a mole who hijacked the sample at the last moment.

7. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,959 comments
    Bellingham, WA

7   11:05am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

I think they have a mole who hijacked the sample at the last moment.

my thoughts too. . . . it's like the Republican Party has become the the new "Red Menace", infiltrating everything from the inside, LOL

8. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,959 comments
    Bellingham, WA

8   11:29am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

"I'll repeat the original question. Uh, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Republican party?"

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Brecht_HUAC_hearing

9. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,093 comments

9   11:56am Sun 11 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

FYI Nate Silver has a table ranking polling sources in terms of bias.

Among famous news outlets, the least biased were IBD, Google, and CNN, while Rasmussen and Gallup scored worst.

10. bdrasin

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    560 comments
    Alameda, CA

10   12:00pm Sun 11 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

curious2 says

FYI Nate Silver has a table ranking polling sources in terms of bias:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/#more-37396

Among famous news outlets, the least biased were IBD, Google, and CNN, while Rasmussen and Gallup scored worst.

Another surprising thing about the comparison was that almost all of the main polling organizations, including Ipos/Reuters,YouGove, and PPP (which the right wingers STILL think was a left-wing shill) were at least somewhat biased towards the Republicans.

11. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    357 threads
    9,763 comments

11   9:11pm Sun 11 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Fox News won;t consider a polling source unbiased until they can prove all the numbers are simply fabricated whole cloth to reflect monstrous Republican superiority.

Premium member iwog is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 97 milliseconds to create.