The Asian Vote

By CL   Follow   Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 3:30pm   1,194 views   15 comments
In Emeryville CA 94608   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Asian vote went 73% or more to the Dem, 26% to Romney.

And the white vote shrank. Latinos came out in huge numbers too, but the Asian vote shot up an impressive +13% or more since the last cycle for the Ds.

Now, we can pillory ThomasWong and Rootvg equally.

Viewing Comments 1-15 of 15     Last »     See most liked comments

1. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    47 threads
    2,467 comments
    32 male

1   3:42pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What is peoples fascination with breaking down voting data by race/ethnicity?

It sounds racist as hell to me, but maybe I misunderstand the purpose behind it?

Like, people say about how so many blacks vote dem/bama. That the republicans need to do something about it,,,,like what, start pandering to the blackness of black people? Offer them promises of political privilege, based on the color of their skin.

Maybe I'm the one in the wrong, but whenever I see someone quantifying (especially political) human activity, categorized by race/ethnicity, I assume that their assertion is that such and such blacks all think and act a like. This country will never be a post racial melting pot as long as people are so concerned to categorize races as data points.

2. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    184 threads
    1,891 comments
    Emeryville, CA

2   4:06pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

It sounds racist as hell to me, but maybe I misunderstand the purpose behind it?

I agree there is something to it that sounds bad, but it's really just demographics. Democrats haven't won the majority of the white vote since the 1960s, which coincides with the Civil Rights act and southern racists leaving the party.

You can see if the party(s) are making inroads within a certain subset of the electorate.

It's like having old people or Cubans in Florida, or Latinos in the Southwest. Old people don't live in Florida on accident, and Latinos there didn't support Republicans because of their immigrant-bashing.

Women responded to the GOP's rape comments. Is that sexist to say?

Is it homophobic to say that the gay vote goes overwhelmingly to the Democrats?

There is a cause and effect, and different concerns for each Demographic.

If it were not so, you'd see a lot more variation in each demographic group, right?

3. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

3   12:26am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

Now, we can pillory ThomasWong and Rootvg equally.

Define Asian ? The shift you speak of are from younger ( and often naive) chinese americans and recent Indian immigrants. But you cant make the same claims from Korean-Japanese-Viet, and other Asians not to mention older Asians from the Reagan-Bush era. They are very much still GOP...

As Uncle Ho said..."No. 3 son (and last son) didnt figure out that Uncle Ho actually
    didnt use govt to make it in the USA... but did it himself."

4. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

4   1:39am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

If it were not so, you'd see a lot more variation in each demographic group, right?

OH?

And how often have we seen Democrats or (Progressives as some call themselves), attack and burn Black, Asian, or Latino Republicans., because they are GOP... often asking or telling they are supporting A Racist party....

I remember how everyone on the left went into shock .. When Soul Brother James Brown said he supports Reagan.. as did his fellow Republican Ray Charles.

Stick a Liberal infront of Newt and see how racist they become.

Newt Gingrich Blasts Chris Matthews for "Racist Thinking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mF6zEtSfns

5. kentm

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    117 threads
    971 comments

5   4:16am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

Oh certainly thomas, the Democratic Party represents the real racists. The liberals et al are the true bigots...

Anyway, instead of discussing race, perhaps the election voting patterns would be better understood broken down like this: "10 out of 10 of the best educated states in the US voted for Obama and 9 out of the 10 of the worst educated states voted for Romney"

http://tribuneofthepeople.com/2012/11/08/election-infographic-shows-most-educated-states-voted-for-obama-happy-place/

6. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    47 threads
    2,467 comments
    32 male

6   7:54am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

kentm, would it be more transparent to replace the words "best educated" with "spent the most time in school"?. That is, after all, the only quantifier, correct?

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"

---------------------------

Anyway, instead of discussing race, perhaps the election voting patterns would be better understood broken down like this: "10 out of 10 of the states with residents that have attended the most schooling in the US voted for Obama and 9 out of the 10 of the states where people have spent the least amount of time in school voted for Romney"

i'd agree, the more time one spends in the schools, the more likely they are to vote for the pro-State candidate

7. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,767 comments
    Dublin, CA

7   8:53am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I think it is a strong probability that Bain's tough talk on China during the debates lead asian community to feel as though Bain was personally attacking them and not only that, but he did it in a condescending and derisive manner as though he felt that he was superior. It is not as though his talk of China's currency manipulation was inaccurate, it was a manner in which he presented the information that was offensive.

8. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    184 threads
    1,891 comments
    Emeryville, CA

8   3:39pm Tue 13 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Define Asian ? The shift you speak of are from younger ( and often naive) chinese americans and recent Indian immigrants. But you cant make the same claims from Korean-Japanese-Viet, and other Asians not to mention older Asians from the Reagan-Bush era. They are very much still GOP...

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I see up to or around 1/4 are first time voters, but I don't see that as a corollary.

And the last report I posted showed that Koreans are reliably liberal, and the Vietnamese were now on the Democratic side as well.

And why dismiss the Asian immigrants as "naive"? Wouldn't it be more true that the aging "anti-communists" are fading from relevance, and the younger voters aren't reactionaries?

Seems that your polling is limited to your own head.

9. ducsingle5313

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    205 comments
    Redwood City, CA

9   5:15pm Tue 13 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

You seem to be confusing demographics with racism. Racism is a belief that race primarily determines human traits AND that one particular race is inherent superior to others.

10. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

10   11:30pm Tue 13 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

And why dismiss the Asian immigrants as "naive"?

no .. i dismiss the US born children of Asian Immigrants as naive. But that will change as they get older.. as do any other demographic. The Asian parents who are the immigrants are more GOP than you think.

11. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

11   11:40pm Tue 13 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

The Asian parents who are the immigrants are more GOP than you think.

Haha seriously. At least on social issues. A good friend / ex-co-worker of mine (Chinese in her mid-20's) was having lunch with some of the older Chinese ladies at work and the subject of Prop 8 came up. She just blurted out that she didn't see why anyone should care if gays marry, and the all of the older ladies were instantly convinced that she was lesbian and commented on how they didn't understand why gays had any business getting married. Asian culture also very much focuses on "more hard work always equals more success" and they generally have no love for entitlement programs.

12. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    184 threads
    1,891 comments
    Emeryville, CA

12   9:05am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

But that will change as they get older.. as do any other demographic. The Asian parents who are the immigrants are more GOP than you think.

Again...is that based on anything other than your own hunch, or is it just the old disproven myth that as we age we all become more conservative?

13. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    804 threads
    6,901 comments
    Baltimore, MD

13   9:25am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CL says

Asian vote went 73% or more to the Dem, 26% to Romney.

14. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,767 comments
    Dublin, CA

14   9:42am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

E-man says

bmwman91 says

Asian culture also very much focuses on "more hard work always equals more success" and they generally have no love for entitlement programs.

That was me. I was trading long hours for money in my 20's. sometimes 20 hours a day. That was how I was raised and taught.

I always compare worker bees to a whore. Don't we all? Don't we trade our time for money? If she can trade her time for $120-$300/hour, why would we only trade it for $10-$50/hour? For that reason, I left the engineering world and went into the investment world and have more free time to screw around. So far so good. :)

There' something about the asian work ethic. I remember some of my asian classmates were studying about 8-9 hours per night . . . in junior high. And I thought I had it rough when my parents felt that studying 2.5 - 3 hrs a night was appropriate!

15. Jimbo in SF

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    1 threads
    48 comments

15   11:30am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I look at the opposite of this ... why would anyone group me, as a white male, with other white males across the country?

I have way more in common with my neighbors in SF, be they Asian, Latino, Gay or whatever ... than I do with southern rural white males (as an example demographic).

It's like they expect us to have the same issues and vote the same way.

CL is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 77 milliseconds to create.