For Obama, Housing Policy Presents Second-Term Headaches

By Patrick   Follow   Thu, 8 Nov 2012, 5:58pm   1,654 views   23 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/for-obama-housing-policy-presents-second-term-headaches/

But as President Obamas first administration comes to an end, the government is still deeply embedded in the mortgage market. In the third quarter, various government entities backstopped 92 percent of all new residential mortgages, according to Inside Mortgage Finance, a publication that focuses on the home loan industry. Mr. Obamas economic team has consistently said it wants the housing market to work without significant government support. But it has taken few actual steps to advance that idea. I think Obama is absolutely committed to reducing the governments role, said Thomas Lawler, a former chief economist at Fannie Mae and...

Viewing Comments 1-23 of 23     Last »     See most liked comments

1. jvolstad

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    1,102 threads
    1,463 comments
    San Antonio, TX
    jvolstad's website

1   6:24pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (7)   Dislike  

Put those houses on the market. I'll buy one if the price is right. The seller is underwater? Too bad. Next time don't listen to the Realtors.

2. Jcolunga

Follow
    Befriend
    1 comments

2   9:55pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Yep, great idea. Let's put more government subsidies toward bailing out the people who overextended themselves on a home with creative financing, KNOWING that in reality, they couldn't afford it if it weren't for their magic mortgage. Let's offer more loan modifications and put a nice band-aid on this problem so that we can last a few more years before the whole thing REALLY goes to sh**. In case you didn't notice, that was utter sarcasm. This is why I have a problem with the Obama administration and their focus on the low-income housing. If we keep manipulating the system to accomodate the lowest common denominator, we will just keep sinking lower. And JVolstad, the realtor doesn't twist people's arms and FORCE them to sign the paperwork. Again, easy to point the finger at someone else, but if you've ever purchased a home yourself, you know there are tens and tens of hurdles to jump through to go from the point of "hey, i'd like to buy a house" to "I now own this home"... providing documentation to the loan broker, property searches, disclosures, approvals, contingency removals... the escrow process is usually 30 days for anyone getting financing, so if you tell me that a Realtor can mind screw you into a stupor for a full month, so much so that you can't back out of the deal, well than I would suggest you get a little more information on how the process works. yay for Obama.

3. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    1,018 comments
    Tarzana, CA

3   10:04pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

OK, They don't even know what to do about it. Fair enough.

"“I think Obama is absolutely committed to reducing the government’s role,” said Thomas Lawler, a former chief economist at Fannie Mae and founder of Lawler Economic and Housing Consulting, an industry analysis firm. “But no one’s yet found a format to do that.”

4. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    278 threads
    3,517 comments
    San Francisco, CA

4   10:08pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

David9 says

OK, They don't even know what to do about it. Fair enough.

"“I think Obama is absolutely committed to reducing the government’s role,” said Thomas Lawler, a former chief economist at Fannie Mae and founder of Lawler Economic and Housing Consulting, an industry analysis firm. “But no one’s yet found a format to do that.”

Yeah right, what utter crap. The only way to deal with FNM and FRE would have been to let them go bankrupt asap (= years ago) and auction off their houses to the highest bidder. That would be the only credible commitment of Obummer to reduce the government's role.

5. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

5   10:13pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

jvolstad says

The seller is underwater? Too bad.

at this point.. that would be in contradiction to the comments...

"to work without significant government support"

therefore it is left for you to be the next fool to close the gap.

6. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

6   10:15pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Am I to take it that I'm the only person on this thread who has studied economics in any serious way?

so did many others pre-1929 and pre-2008, but that didnt help ... yes its a great read...

7. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

7   10:17pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

mell says

Yeah right, what utter crap. The only way to deal with FNM and FRE would have been to let them go bankrupt asap (= years ago) and auction off their houses to the highest bidder. That would be the only credible commitment of Obummer to reduce the government's role.

should have been shut down during Bush, as all the cover up with the fraud was coming out.

8. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    1,018 comments
    Tarzana, CA

8   10:21pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

mell says

to let them go bankrupt asap (= years ago) and auction off their houses to the highest bidder.

That would have been good for us. Unfortunately, it's all about the Banks. Greece just voted in austerity today cutting 13 billion just so they can get a loan to pay the Banks 39 billion!

I see a connection.

9. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    278 threads
    3,517 comments
    San Francisco, CA

9   10:31pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

mell says

Yes. If your goal was to cause the second great depression, and watch gdp fall say 10% more than it did, this would be a great plan...

Am I to take it that I'm the only person on this thread who has studied economics in any serious way?

You don't need to study anything, basic math will do (if you paid attention in school). Nominal GDP growth subtracted from deficit spending will give you real GDP growth and that has been looking ugly and will continue to do so as long as you don't clear the bad debt and throw good money after bad.

10. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    278 threads
    3,517 comments
    San Francisco, CA

10   10:32pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

mell says

should have been shut down during Bush, as all the cover up with the fraud was coming out.

Fair enough.

11. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    278 threads
    3,517 comments
    San Francisco, CA

11   10:36pm Thu 8 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

David9 says

mell says

to let them go bankrupt asap (= years ago) and auction off their houses to the highest bidder.

That would have been good for us. Unfortunately, it's all about the Banks. Greece just voted in austerity today cutting 13 billion just so they can get a loan to pay the Banks 39 billion!

I see a connection.

Absolutely, they should show the banks the finger and default instead - there would still be austerity needed for everybody (they should start with their politicians), but not as much and they would recover much sooner without having to pay interest and going into serfdom to the central bankstas.

12. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

12   1:34am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Make political campaign contributions to unethical shills. Check. Have them lower tax rates on massive personal income in return for agreeing to allow irresponsible government spending. Check. Gut banking regulations and oversight. Check. Lend working peoples savings to millions of fools so they compete against each other using interest only loans and fractional reserve banking to inflate home prices. Check. Take a cut. Check. Arrange to cloud title and avoid fees through private bogus electronic deeds that no one can trace. Check. Buy insurance on stupid loans from phony, no reserves insurance company. Call it a credit default swap to avoid insurance laws. Check. Take a bonus. Check. Bribe rating agencies to get AAA ratings on garbage. Check. Sell toxic mortgages to pension funds and take a commission. Check. Ship US jobs overseas to commie slave plantation to avoid US labor and environmental laws and product accountability. Check. Lower quality on brand names and reap massive profits. Check. Sell garbage at low prices and drive quality products off the market. Check. Reap huge profits. Check. Raise interest rates. Check. Crash investments around the world and extort trillions from treasury. Check. Collect insurance on bad loans from phony insurance company bailed out by strategically placed appointed cronies in government. Check. Take another bonus. Check. Create new unheard of regulations by decree and purchase trillions of dollars of real property at inflated prices with counterfeit money to 'save the system'. Check. Sure beats working.

13. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    584 comments
    Belmont, CA

13   1:58am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

I'm the only person on this thread who has studied economics in any serious way

No, you are just good at exploiting the economic situation and then flaunting your rentier income like a nouveau riche schlemiel.

14. BobMSN

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    107 comments

14   7:16am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

"to work without significant government support"

Sure. Obama already got those poor people's vote. Now, it is time to wash his hands. He might socialize the housing if he can have the 3rd term.

But too bad.

15. BobMSN

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    107 comments

15   7:22am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

I'm the only person on this thread who has studied economics in any serious way?

I thought many people already complained so much demages caused by those "economists". At this point, common sense works better than economics.

16. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

16   7:44am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is all about banks, and propping them up. Housing is a distant second to the fact banking is needed, at this point, to make the economy working.

It's all complicated, or is it?

I talked with a guy yesterday who bought a children's shoe business he helped start. He borrowed from Venture Capitalists in San Francisco. Now he has to sell the company to pay them back because he just realized they aren't nice guys.

Yes he said they aren't nice guys, can you imagine?

What Roberto is saying is that economics is about the advantage of financing as passive income. Nobody wants to work any more, it's all about that money for nothing.

17. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    487 threads
    3,029 comments

17   7:47am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

David9 says

mell says

I see a connection.

Yeah and Iceland told the banks to go take a hike. They are just fine-their bankers took a hit-but the nation is fine.

18. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    76 threads
    3,176 comments
    Bellingham, WA

18   8:02am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Iceland can print. Greece cannot. That's the difference.

Plus Iceland has a trade surplus.

As a general rule, Trade surplus == non-fucked nation.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/NETEXP

19. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    487 threads
    3,029 comments

19   8:03am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

Iceland can print. Greece cannot. That's the difference.

Plus Iceland has a trade surplus.

As a general rule, Trade surplus == non-fucked nation.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/NETEXP

Umm, Iceland can print-BUT THEY CHOSE NOT TO. Instead they let the bankers sink, despite threats from Britain and other Euro nations.

20. carducci22

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    42 comments

20   9:45am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it anything you want. We are toast.

21. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    76 threads
    3,176 comments
    Bellingham, WA

21   9:52am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

lostand confused says

Iceland can print-BUT THEY CHOSE NOT TO.

no, they printed, too, I think. At any rate, that's how they got their trade surplus, running a weaker krona -- ISK is 50% weaker now than 2008.

22. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    76 threads
    3,176 comments
    Bellingham, WA

22   10:00am Fri 9 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

carducci22 says

Call it anything you want. We are toast.

technically, if we had a 10-year phase-in of fiscal sanity, we could save ourselves.

the longer we put this off the harder it's going to be, since the baby boom is steadily getting into retirement age . . .

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=cEP

shows tax to GDP is relatively low now. We just gotta raise one or the other to fix things . . .

23. BobMSN

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    107 comments

23   8:02am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Those with anti-corporate mentality forget that the US government is now the largest corporation and 90% of real estate loans in the US carry direct government guarantees. It is nature for any corporation to inflate the price of their assets. Only those poor people who have just elected the leader of this government would never be able to afford a house unless they are squatting in one already.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 133 milliseconds to create.