Japan Plunges Into Deep Recession; GDP Shrinks 3.5% Annualized

By Mish   Follow   Sun, 11 Nov 2012, 11:13pm   640 views   6 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Japan Plunges Into Deep Recession; GDP Shrinks 3.5% Annualized; Japan Current Account Turns Negative First Time in 30 Years; Watch the Yen
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/11/japan-plunges-into-deep-recession-gdp.html
Mish

Viewing Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

1   11:34pm Sun 11 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mish says

Japan Plunges Into Deep Recession; GDP Shrinks 3.5% Annualized; Japan Current Account Turns Negative First Time in 30 Years; Watch the Yen

maybe just maybe this will help our US industries move tech mfg back to the US. push prices back up.

certainly would help drive, semi and semi mfg cos. not to mention many other including consumer and industrial industries.

2. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

2   5:16am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

why didn't I study norwegian and/or swedish instead in school dammit.

when I started my first year of Japanese the nikkei was just topping out, moving from 34,000 to 39,000 that quarter (it's under 9000 now).

the BS that was allowed to go on was unbelievable.

and the Japanese right-wingers are total idiots for picking a fight over those islands off the Chinese coast this year.

I have no idea how they're going to be able to raise taxes to actually pay off their one quadrillion yen national debt.

I guess the dirty secret of national debts are that they are supposed to be inflated away, not paid. That's what happened to our postwar debt 1945-1980.

There's plenty of land value to confiscate via higher taxes, but that's the last thing the tax authority wants to do, rob asset value, since people hate that more than paying taxes.

3. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    521 threads
    3,119 comments

3   5:32am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is what, the 5th recession in 15 years??

4. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    409 threads
    11,908 comments

4   6:07am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

They need to deregulate the financial services industry and pass a rape amendment.

5. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    840 threads
    7,127 comments
    Baltimore, MD

5   7:06am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

John Bailo says

I've heard their population might drop by half in the next 50 years.

OK, so they will go down to around 1929 population levels in another 50 years and will still be too crowded.

6. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

6   9:49am Mon 12 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

John Bailo says

I've heard their population might drop by half in the next 50 years.

~20%, down to 100M in 2050. Compared to now, population of 0-14 will fall from 17M to 10M, 15-64 80M to 50M, and 65+ rise from 30M to 35M.

This is an unprecedented (gradual) down-sizing of an over-crowded country that was at one time the most prosperous in the world.

By absolute measures they still are the wealthiest, with a +$3.2T in global ownership balance (it owns the world that much more than it owes the world).

Note how their rise in seniors though isn't THAT big a deal. Another 5M from here over decades. We're adding 30M in the next 20 years.

http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?cb=58&sctn=170&ch=1808

Mish is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 104 milliseconds to create.