Ideas on how to use less energy (Advertisement)

59 Sparrowhawk Irvine, CA 92604

By Goran_K   Follow   Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 9:12pm   1,290 views   10 comments
In Irvine CA 92604   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

This house is listed at $524,900, REO.

What attracted me to it was that it was a single story home, nearly 2,200sqft in a desirable area (Yale Loop in Irvine).

Walking up to the front door, it was obvious this home had some "deferred maintenance". The garage door had wood trim pieces literally hanging on by a single nail, there were two pieces of wood on the driveway. The grass was dead, and the windows looked like they needed to be sealed. Not a great first impression.

Walking into what might have been the living room, I was caught off guard. The house had no floors. Literally concrete, and exposed nails sticking out where the baseboards should have been. The kitchen was missing most of the cabinets as well. Looking around, I noticed all sorts of cracks running across the floor, and up the walls to the ceiling. This home looked like it had major foundation issues.

I asked the agent about it, and he responded with, "Some work has been done with the foundation, the bank has fixed it." Yeah......

The backyard was a decent size, especially for Irvine, but backing to Culver Street, there was definite street noise. Livable for some, maybe not for most. The grass was also dead. The roof from the back looked to be in okay shape, but probably would need replacing in 5 years or so. At least it wasn't wood shake.

Overall, not a very impressive tour. It's certainly priced right, but I would estimate at LEAST $60,000 to $80,000 worth of work to get the home into condition to make it actually livable for a family. Could be worth it for someone with lots of cash on hand.

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. E-man

Follow
    Befriend (30)
    34 threads
    879 comments
    Portland, OR

1   12:20am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

What's the FMV after you remodeled the house?

2. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

2   7:16am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Based on comps, if this home were fully remodeled, it might sell in the $640k to $660k range. It does back to Culver, but it's also 2,200 sqft on a single story plan (very hard to get in Irvine).

So based on the $524,900 list price + $80,000 out of pocket expenses to remodel, it looks like a good deal.

BUT....

The cracks from the floor, going all the way to the ceiling are worrisome. Foundation issues always give me pause. The bank said they fixed it, but who knows? Will this home even get traditional financing? I'd love to see the inspection report on this house if someone does try to buy it. I have a feeling that there is some costly repairs I may be missing from my cursory tour last weekend.

3. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

3   4:40pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Well, I guess I know why this house is priced so cheap. About 400-500sqft was part of a poorly done addition on the right side of the house. The foundation is sinking at one end, and rising at the other, causing major cracks throughout the area (I noticed this myself while touring).

With that new knowledge, I'm guessing this house is priced way high, because the cost of repair might tack on another $50,000 to $80,000 alone, cash out of pocket. Who knows what else might be wrong.

4. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

4   4:49pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

E-man says

Goran,

This is a dream property for investors/flippers. You have to pay all cash. The house needs a lot of work and has foundation issue. I see the potential for a lot of profit here. Don't be surprised that someone will buy it for $400k-$450k all cash. When it hit the market again in the next several months, it will be priced at $699k. That's my take based on what you have described above.

Yeah I have no doubt that someone will buy it all cash, and do the remodel work and fix the foundation. If they buy it for $450,000, and have to do $150,000 of repairs, I could see it going back on the market at $700k. This is definitely a flipper special IMO.

5. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

5   5:20pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I think you should do it E-man. :)

6. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

6   7:26pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'm a simple guy. In terms of real estate, if I were to become an investor, I might look at multi-unit. Flipping SFHs isn't for me.

7. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

7   7:43pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yeah, I don't think so either. Hence.

8. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    687 threads
    5,997 comments
    Baltimore, MD

8   8:50pm Thu 13 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Goran_K says

Well, I guess I know why this house is priced so cheap. About 400-500sqft was part of a poorly done addition on the right side of the house. The foundation is sinking at one end, and rising at the other, causing major cracks throughout the area (I noticed this myself while touring)

How much would it cost to undo the add-on?

9. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

9   9:08pm Thu 13 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'm not sure. It would have to be sizable.

It sold for $555,000. I'm actually surprised. That had to be all-cash, or pretty close to it.

10. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

10   5:45pm Tue 18 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

We'll see. That would be one of the highest prices for a home in that neighborhood in the past 5 years, especially one that backs to Culver (pretty much a freeway).

My best is it still goes for under $700,000.

Goran_K is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 115 milliseconds to create.