A funny thing happend on my way to the Deli...

By CaptainShuddup   Follow   Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 10:07am   2,137 views   34 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (2)  

So I'm Publix picking up a few items for lunch, when the cashier asked me, "Would you like to donate a few dollars to feed the poor?"

To which I said... "Nope! Obama won, they aren't going to want for nothing. It's me you need to worry about."
She and the gentleman bagging the groceries just gave me this "You selfish son of a bitch" Look.

She counts the change and hands me the receipt, and I say...
"Say a prayer for me will ya?"

I've always been a generous guy, and what have I gotten for it? Well I'm called a White racist, because I think Obama is leading us down the wrong financial path and every other path there is. And also it became apparent during this election, that no matter how much people give these Charities, it's a thankless job. As the Democrats pointed out in the election, people don't feed and clothed the poor and homeless, the government does.
Well who am I to hinder the Government from doing an effective job, by interfering with my donations and contributions?

Viewing Comments 1-34 of 34     Last »     See most liked comments

1. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,303 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

1   10:14am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I think you should print this out, store somewhere safe, and make sure someone reads it at your funeral. It says so much about who you are.

2. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

2   10:24am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

You know, sometimes its not a half bad idea to spend about 10 seconds thinking about whether something like this should be posted.

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

3   10:24am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

What no body's sucker?

First of all Publix is a Goddamn grocery store, and the Largest in Florida.
    The sheer amount of food they throw away each month because they refuse to sell groceries at an affordable price, because they've got to keep their price point in line with Whole Foods and that whole fuckjob. Publix could feed the whole South East just on the food they throw away.
    They overcharge me then want me to donate money too?

Then there's the whole "Obama won, and they aren't going to want for nothing."

I think it's time the Poor really learn who supports them in this country.
    Generous contributions from the right leaning people that actually care for people in the community. Or left leaning people that create inner city shit storms then live as far way as they possibly can behind a gated fence. The neighbors that has kids that goes to school with their kids, or the assholes over there in the "Good Schools" districts. The government dole, or the Community roll?

I call for all conservatives to boycott charities since the Liberals are such great community activist and all, and have all of the damn answers to every thing. Let's just see how good they are at it.

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

4   10:30am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

You know, sometimes its not a half bad idea to spend about 10 seconds thinking about whether something like this should be posted.

Why? What's wrong with what I said?
    The poor and certain ethnic groups casted their lot with the Liberals let's show them what's behind door number 1. What I'm just a white racist asshole anyway right? Let them see how far they get when the political novelty wares off of their plight?

They voted for a man that hasn't had a press conference since March of 2012 that's 8 months for those of you playing along at home.

5. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    258 threads
    5,686 comments
    Davis, CA

5   10:35am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

She counts the change and hands me the receipt, and I say...
    "Say a prayer for me will ya?"

I think any Publix cashier would take pity on you just based on your appearance. You know they sometimes have some near-expiration canned goods and stale bread they'll slide you if you ask for it. As much as will fit in that shopping cart you trundle around the city. You poor thing.

6. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

6   10:37am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

CaptainShuddup says

Why? What's wrong with what I said?

You can say what you want. Its a free country. But whether people agree with what was said is another question. So Romney didn't win. Does that mean poor people who had nothing to do with the election should suddenly not get any assistance? Better yet, can you prove that ALL poor people are merely deadbeats?

7. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

7   10:39am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I didn't lose the election the American did.

8. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

8   10:41am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

CaptainShuddup says

Americans won because more of them voted for Obama.

9. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

9   10:53am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Does that mean poor people who had nothing to do with the election should suddenly not get any assistance?

Oh on the contrary, they've got plenty of "assistance". If they get anymore, I'll need assistance from them. The poor in this country don't want for nothing under Obama. I don't know one single poor person in this country that either isn't already or isn't eligible for better insurance for free, than I pay $1500 a month for. I have to watch what I put in my grocery cart, while they pull a shopping cart caravan through the store each one loaded to the rim, their kid vs my kid applying for a magnet school their kid will win, my FP&L bill is $200 to $300 a month theirs is subsidized, I have to pay my mortgage, theirs is free.

Look you sit from your Bay area couch and opine about people you've never met, these are my neighbors and extended family and friends we're talking about here. They even have better cars than those of us paying the taxes for their life style.

I didn't politicize them Liberals did. Be careful what you wish for.

BTW I'm not alone in thinking this way, I suspect 49% of the voting public does as well. Yes even the Black ones.

10. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

10   11:02am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

This is a tired, old, generalized argument popularized in the late 70's, early 80's in the GOP. It was their talking point: That there were "those" people out there, getting a free ride ( always the poor) while the rest of us have to pay for them. Its a purposeful distraction- a sort of political wedge. Generalizations are what politics are all about:

"Those people ( its always those people) are out there gettin' all our money!!!"

The problem is that none of these talking points are based on anything other than broad generalizations. People like these generalizations too because it makes them feel better about themselves and gives the political party that supports them the means to distract their constituents from the real issues at hand.

That's why these sort of conversations lack any merit. Generalizations aren't based on facts. So using that as a means to not donate to the poor is baseless more or less.

11. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

11   11:05am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

That there were "those" people out there, getting a free ride ( always the poor) while the rest of us have to pay for them. Its a purposeful distraction- a sort of political wedge.

Yeah Obama brought back a lot of wounds America was over.
    Since he couldn't fix anything, he decided to break those problems already fixed and put the rest decades ago.

Good looking out Obama!

"President Obama will hold his first White House news conference since March today at 1:30 p.m. ET. "

12. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

12   11:18am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

One of my favorite lines from M*A*S*H:

You'll never be known as the "Ugly American". You're overqualified.

13. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

13   11:26am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

You know what? I think I'll be donating a little extra this year. Perhaps that will make up for some of those who won't because they are mad Romney didn't get elected. Anyone else game?

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

14   11:27am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

I think I'll be donating a little extra this year.

Warren Buffet is that you?

15. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

15   11:31am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

Warren Buffet is that you?

I've got to say this is about the saddest post I've read in a long time.

16. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

16   11:34am Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

I've got to say this is about the saddest post I've read in a long time.

I say this one is...

17. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    205 threads
    4,395 comments
    Premium

17   12:00pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

First of all Publix is a Goddamn grocery store, and the Largest in Florida.
    The sheer amount of food they throw away each month because they refuse to sell groceries at an affordable price, because they've got to keep their price point in line with Whole Foods and that whole fuckjob. Publix could feed the whole South East just on the food they throw away.
    They overcharge me then want me to donate money too?

I don't think I'd ever say this, but you're damn right.

Publix is also one of the most anti-employee companies in America. Maybe if they paid a decent wage, there wouldn't be a need to donate so much.

Not supposed to tip the kid that brings the groceries to your car? Frankly, I don't think firms should be allowed to interfere with traditional custom - and a good one, since it teaches kids that giving good service is rewarded.

18. BoomAndBustCycle

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    468 comments

18   2:34pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

If they get anymore, I'll need assistance from them.

You know the truth of the matter.. Yes, there is a percentage of the poor and dumb that mooch off government assistance programs and don't plan to ever try to exit. But there are an EQUAL or higher percentage of rich heirs and heiresses or lucky SOBs that do NOTHING but rake in money while sitting on a beach or private yacht. They take advantage of tax loopholes, unethical business practices, and off shore accounts to keep from working hard.

I'd be willingly to wager that the percentage of lazy, unethical, tax evading rich people... is the same as the lazy, moochers on the bottom end of the spectrum. Maybe not in exact number, but definitely percentage wise.

Say there are 100 filthy rich heirs to fortunes.. I would be willing to wager maybe 10% are just as corrupt and unethical as the 10% of the bottom rung mooching the system.

Except feeding and housing some poor people.. keeping them content and out of your backyard... costs far less than the damage done by the corrupt loafers at the top.

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

19   3:04pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Am I the only one who finds it difficult to follow a thread when this image is on the screen?

I mean, come one, it's not fair to distract men like that. You can't think with both heads at once. If the moderator of the presidential debates was a chick doing that, neither candidate would be able to answer questions.

20. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

20   3:18pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

I've always been a generous guy, and what have I gotten for it?

I think you are missing the point of being generous.

CaptainShuddup says

Well I'm called a White racist, because I think Obama is leading us down the wrong financial path and every other path there is.

There is nothing racist about disagreeing with a politician's policies. The racists are the ones who either voted for or against Obama because of his skin tone. And yes, there are racists on both sides. I don't recall you writing anything racist.

As for Obama's stance on human rights, I've written many times that it is as bad, and in some cases even worst, than Bush's. Nothing wrong about bringing that up. In fact, I often do bring it up to Obama supporters. They never have an answer except that the other side would do the same thing and perhaps worse. I agree with them, but mention that the Democrats need to be more than just the lesser of the two evils because the lesser of two evils is still evil.

As for Obama's economic policies, for the most part I think they are wrong. For the most part, I think they are the same as the Republican policies. In the parts that differ between the two parties, the Republican policies are generally worse. But mostly both parties are bought out by special interests.

When I write about how bad Obama is -- and I do that pretty often -- no one dares call me a racist because I write about the specific policies that Obama has passed that are evil. And no one can deny that Obama is responsible for those polices and that those policies are evil. It's really pretty damn clear.

Furthermore, I judge Obama, Bush, Romney, and all other politicians regardless of their party, race, or gender by the exact same measuring stick. The lack of hypocrisy and contradiction is what demonstrates that I am judging politicians on what they do rather than their ethnic background, party, or some other irrelevant issue.

That said, being fair and objective does not mean making both sides look equally valid. The Republican Party for the past 12 years has become more extreme and more corrupt than the Democratic Party. If I were objectively covering the Holocaust in WWII, I would say that the Jewish and the Nazi viewpoints are equally valid. One side was clearly wrong. Being fair and objective doesn't mean you don't reach a conclusion that one or both sides are wrong. It means you reach that conclusion based on the evidence, not a political or personal agenda.

CaptainShuddup says

As the Democrats pointed out in the election, people don't feed and clothed the poor and homeless, the government does.

I actually would greatly prefer all charity be done through government. Centralizing charity would allow for streamlining (eliminating waste), better coordination, economy of scales, accountability (no strings attached), transparency, and load balancing among various needs. Just to name a few things.

Why have 500 charities when one national one would be far more effective? I would never design or implement such an inefficient system. It's just bad engineering.

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

21   3:20pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

America lost the election before it started simply because the two party system produced only turds this cycle like it does most cycles. Electing Romney would not have been any better for America.

22. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

22   3:25pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

Not supposed to tip the kid that brings the groceries to your car?

I always tell him I don't need assistance. Yeah, it makes sense to help out the old and the infirm with putting the groceries in the trunk, but I'm not old or infirm. The way I see it, if that guy walks to my car and back, he's wasting time. The line would move twice as fast if he stayed bagging the groceries for the next person. Having both a cashier and a bagger effectively doubles the speed of lines and halves the time everybody has to wait.

The utterly insignificant benefit I get by having him help me to the car is far outweighed by the benefit the system gains by having him stay at the checkout counter. I always am for optimizing the system as a whole over optimizing my own selfish interests, especially when the gain is so small anyway.

23. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

23   3:27pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Melmakian says

Hey RM, where did you ah...'procure' that photo? Links please!

Say hello to my little friend.

http://tineye.com

24. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    464 threads
    7,745 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

24   3:45pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

I don't know one single poor person in this country that either isn't already or isn't eligible for better insurance for free, than I pay $1500 a month for.

You obviously don't know many poor people. I would explain the criteria for medical assistance, but I don't feel like it. If you are interested, which I don't believe you are, you can look it up yourself.

"Obamacare" was developed because many people have no insurance, have no ability to get insurance, and have been denied for asinine reasons. It actually hasn't been phased in yet.

As a social worker, I've not seen more funding for programs that feed & house the poor since the President was elected the first time. Your comment was offensive, and obviously meant to be that way because you are angry that the president was re-elected. So you took it out on a person who was just doing her job...

25. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    267 threads
    3,405 comments
    San Francisco, CA

25   6:18pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Agree with the captain here mostly. Who are you to judge anybody about their political views? Donate more and feel good, but don't brag about it and put others down. They don't owe squat to anybody, esp. since it is likely clear by now that the captain does not belong to the 1%ers. But that's probably the only thing we know about somebody you only know by their screen name. I have republican friends who help street kids all over the world right at the scene, currently in Mexico city, to get off of drugs, and basic food and shelter as well as testing of diseases. They happen to be very Christian and do that with a small christian organization as a vehicle, but they have done more good since I moved here than all of my friends from the "Obama-fan-brigade" combined who sit comfy in their mortgage-deductible mini mansions and spout venom all day about the evil right-wingers while feeling holier than thou due to occasional armchair-donations. Pathetic.

26. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    461 threads
    2,929 comments

26   6:43pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Am I the only one who finds it difficult to follow a thread when this image is on the screen?

I mean, come one, it's not fair to distract men like that. You can't think with both heads at once. If the moderator of the presidential debates was a chick doing that, neither candidate would be able to answer questions.

HaHa! I see the Captain's post and then see this gif and can't read the rest of the thread.

27. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,303 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

27   8:27pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Melmakian says

Hey RM, where did you ah...'procure' that photo? Links please!

Say hello to my little friend.

http://tineye.com

You can also use google image search.

But here she is before my "crop and pan" ;).

Oh, and here is Scarlett in my pool this August;)

Finally, something conservatives and liberals can agree on!

28. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

28   10:19pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

rooemoore says

Except that conservatives think that sex is bad. And to be honest, it is when with a conservative.

29. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    267 threads
    3,405 comments
    San Francisco, CA

29   10:26pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

rooemoore says

Except that conservatives think that sex is bad. And to be honest, it is when with a conservative.

That's not true - conservative chicks can be quite sporty in the bedroom when they let out their suppressed inner beast ;)

30. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,026 threads
    12,545 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

30   10:30pm Wed 14 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

mell says

That's not true - conservative chicks can be quite sporty in the bedroom when they let out their suppressed inner beast ;)

True. See any Girls Gone Wild video.

The more sexually repressed a society is, the more perverted it is.

31. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    812 threads
    10,704 comments

31   5:50am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

BoomAndBustCycle says

I'd be willingly to wager that the percentage of lazy, unethical, tax evading rich people... is the same as the lazy, moochers on the bottom end of the spectrum. Maybe not in exact number, but definitely percentage wise.

Hmmm 1% rich or 18% bellow poverty I doubt what you say is true.
    mell says

They happen to be very Christian and do that with a small christian organization as a vehicle

The last time I pointed out that before the medical complex backed by an endless supply of investors and Idiot 401K contributors shorting their own Health future, the Baptist were fine proving health care to anyone that walked in the door and said they couldn't pay. Boy you should have seen the savage brutal beating I got. They accused me of suggesting faith healing was a viable option. Because I mentioned the Baptist and Healthcare in the same post.

32. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    159 threads
    5,332 comments

32   8:13am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Every time I go to those union ran grocery stores (Vons/Ralphs) they harass me for a donation to some non profit. They never like to mention that those non profits are politically connected.

I do help on my own, I've donated to RedCross, worked in soup kitchens. And yet these arrogant union pricks always like to tell me I'm not doing enough, that I'm a selfish prick, because I'm not willing to donate a $1 to their corporate friends every time I shop in their store.

33. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    464 threads
    7,745 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

33   8:51am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I donate time & money on my own time. I say "no" when asked to donate. Especially considering that the big chains claim to be charitable when it's their customers that are donating the change, I don't give to them.

But it has nothing to do with the president. The world isn't coming to an end because he was reelected and life will go on.

34. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,303 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

34   9:13am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

I do help on my own, I've donated to RedCross, worked in soup kitchens. And yet these arrogant union pricks always like to tell me I'm not doing enough, that I'm a selfish prick, because I'm not willing to donate a $1 to their corporate friends every time I shop in their store.

Really? The people who work at the supermarket - the union pricks - like to tell you that you are not doing enough? Really? I shop at these markets as well as Safeway and Walgreens also. My take is that about 99.9% of the cashiers don't care if you give or not. Most shoppers don't give, so it is not unusual to decline.

Anyway, you'll be happy to know that Ralph's is featuring the Red Cross on the front page of their website:

http://www.ralphs.com/Pages/default.aspx

CaptainShuddup is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 156 milliseconds to create.