If you like Patrick's book/ideas, say so on Amazon

By bg   Follow   Thu, 15 Nov 2012, 12:01am   856 views   12 comments
In Pacifica CA 94044   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

I was talking to my husband about how I really would like to see Patrick make a living on his ideas. He was saying that authors in the fitness industry that he works with do well when their "Fans" like and review their books on Amazon.

It occurred to me that if you believe in Patrick's ideas and like the book, it might be worth mentioning this as a supportive step that we could take.

I wrote my 5 star review tonight :-)

Viewing Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,661 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

1   4:51pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I give this very post five stars!

2. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

2   6:06pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I think he has it backwards and its way wrong. I have a huge bank account that backs this up. The money printing will destroy u if u rent long term - its a fact.
    If u buy and fail u end up renting. Zero risk to life style by owning.

Some of you act like buying a home is dangerous - its not. Try motorcycling or mountain climbing sometime and maybe paperwork wont scare you so much.

3. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

3   6:11pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Even if rents were that low u cant flip a rental! Duh

4. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

4   6:31pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

Zero risk to life style by owning.

Disagree. Renting a cheap apartment leaves all sorts of money for doing damn near anything and everything that I want. The kind of house that I would actually want to buy and live in would consume all disposable income. Buying a house has all sorts of intangible benefits, but you need to weigh those carefully with the intangible detriments that so many people like to gloss over. It isn't a panacea for happiness or financial security, nor is renting.

5. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

5   6:44pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yes owning has financial dangers but pat is too negative. Look at roberto and iwog, thats how its done folks. They should be writing books. If they did they would outsell patrick by a million copies because everyone wants to get rich and renting an apartment is not a path to rich unless you are a geniuos stock picker but in that case they would still want to buy a house at the end of amassing $.

6. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

6   6:51pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

everyone wants to get rich and renting an apartment is not a path to rich

Neither is buying a SFH to live in. As it stands now, my rent is less than interest, insurance and property taxes on a house that I would want. I won't get rich doing that, but I accumulate liquid net worth faster this way. Getting rich is not really a priority for me, at least not as much as living my life without having to worry about money. You don't have to be rich to enjoy life (it sure helps, as long as it doesn't consume you).

iwog and roberto are in a different category. They make their living on buying / renting SFHs. Most people are not interested in that. What they are doing makes sense, and is totally different than buying a SFH to live in. Patrick's book is mainly concerned with buying-to-live-in, and while it leans to the bearish side, it is full of information that many SFH buyers should at least be aware of. I'm not sure why you are making a comparison between Patrick's book and RE cash-flow investment books.

7. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,661 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

7   6:53pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I'm not opposed to buying if it's cheaper than renting over the time period you'll probably live there. Median ownership duration is 6 years. Half of all owners own for even shorter periods of time.

I have renters next door to me who own a rental property up in Yuba City. They save money here, and make money there. That is actually the way it's done.

8. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

8   9:31pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

ok good points.
    but owning a rental almost always starts with a buying to live in purchase.

As in you get your feet wet buying a sfh then you say 'hey this is easy money' and then you wake up one day and have a duck head.

9. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

9   9:47pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

and then you wake up one day and have a duck head.

LOL

10. bg

Follow
    Befriend (15)
    51 threads
    451 comments
    Pacifica, CA
    Premium

10   5:47am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

I have renters next door to me who own a rental property up in Yuba City. They save money here, and make money there. That is actually the way it's done.

I have been thinking that if I buy, I might buy something to rent before I buy something to live in.

11. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

11   7:49am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

If u live in ca its your duty to help us buy up all the SFR inventory in flyover and rent it back to the local aboriginals. Preferably with all cash from a large Heloc you will default on. Remember ca passed a law stating first 150k of heloc cannot be collected. Use this free 150k to bid up prices in phoenix where locals will be dumfounded where is all this money coming from (its from ben) .
    Money for nuthin and chicks fer free in cali.

12. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

12   9:30am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yep, I wrote my review a while ago. It is a great way to support Pnet.

Premium member bg is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 64 milliseconds to create.